Thread: CEN-TECH multimeter from Harbor Freight

Full Member Verified Member Rokin Randy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default CEN-TECH multimeter from Harbor Freight

Hi,
    I got one today for $4.99,I have not removed it from the package yet but
    I notice there is not a V indicating a voltage selection So I'm a little unsure about where to set the Dial
    Has anyone here tried to test batterys with this model yet that can tell me
    where to set it for Li-ion testing..
    I see 1.5v-9v I assume it's that one, but I don't want to blow out anything.
    with my luck lately I'll just leave it alone untill I get enough info before I even take it out of the package
    Thanks in advanced for the help,RR
    Last edited by Rokin Randy; 05-19-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    Here in North Carolina Tobacco Is A Vegetable

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You want to set it on 20 DCV in the upper left-hand corner.

The 1.5V-9V setting is for carbon, alkaline, and those rectangle 9V batteries with the clips on top.

Full Member Verified Member Rokin Randy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me,It's not the most accurate then...But that's it,it does give a good close idea as to whats going on..freshly charged 18650's all read 4.27..not bad for a few bucks.. And the attys can be checked on the omega side at it's lowest setting which is not 100% accurate either..But good enough for both if you calibrate the difference..I was going to give it to somebody but now I'll keep it around for quick testing of batterys around the house..
    Here in North Carolina Tobacco Is A Vegetable

ECF Veteran

i just got one,,it does not give accurate ohms reading on cartos ..approx 2 ohms higher then what they really are i haven't figure out how to recalibrate it yet either ,,grrrrrrr
    Last edited by denali_41; 06-01-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    THE MORTAR........ Solid Brass construction with copper post contacts.just pure raw power !!!!

PV Master ECF Veteran

I've had one of these meters for years. No, it's not the most accurate meter around but I got mine for $1.99 so I'm not complaining. Mine is off by .2 ohms when measuring resistance of atty's. Voltage seems right on though and fully charged batt's right off my charger typically read 4.19 to 4.21 volts. I've noticed that if I turn the dial all the way around before taking any measurements it reads everything more accurately. When taking resistance readings I always touch the leads and see what the reading is, then subtract that from the atty resistance reading. Seems to work well enough for me.
    Hardware: Tesla, Vamo v3, Silver Bullet @ 3.7v, Omega @ 3.7v, a pile of 3.7v boxmods. I'm a diehard, old school dripper. There aren't many of us left anymore, too bad because that's how you get the cleanest, tastiest vape.

ECF Veteran

I have a DMM that I can touch the leads together and press a button to zero the readout. Of course I paid $100 for it about 10 years ago, but it's the most accurate one I have.

I have 4 or 5 of those <$5 DMMs from Harbor Freight. Get one whenever they go on sale for $2 or less. Actually cost less to buy a new one than to replace the battery in it...