iTaste MVP stopped working, repairable?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheMaestro

Thread: iTaste MVP stopped working, repairable?

Default iTaste MVP stopped working, repairable?

I got an iTaste MVP a few days ago, and have been using the clearomizers it came with plus the external ring to cover up that little gap under them. At first I thought it wouldn't work, but they show it in the picture on the iTaste shop, so I gave it a go. However, when I went to take off the clearo it came off easily enough... unfortunately what came off was the plastic tank part of the clearo emptying the little juice left all over. I then relized the 510 connection of the clearo was broken and the ring was stuck on the device as well, both holding the other down. I ended up having to loosen and then tighten the ring with pliers to get it on properly so I could remove the clearo then the ring.

After this, however my iTaste fails to fire at all, and I worry that when I was going to town on the stuck ring to get it reset, I twisted the connection and broke its connection to wires inside the unit. This should be easy enough to fix, but I'm wondering if anyone's been inside of an iTaste MVP yet and if its something that can be easily worked in. I have a background in electronic engineering, I'm just wondering if the unit is put together in a way that is easily repairable before breaking into it.

Any suggestions/solutions would be most welcome!

Edit: Oh, and the mod is still on and battery charged, I have verified that, it just doesn't fire.
    Last edited by Zibi; 12-01-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Full Member Verified Member

I have another problem. Like a few others, my micro usb port came loose and no longer works. My question is: can I somehow use the regular usb port to charge my MVP? Can my output for charging my phone now become an input for charging my pv? Thanks for any advice!

Senior Member* ECF Veteran

I bought a MVP for my son for Christmas, He loved it until it totally quit working. It was fully charged, so lights were out but it won't fire anything. The supplied clero's, vivi nova's or any carto. I hope someone knows a fix. I bought it 11/27 but kept it till Christmas eve. I have written the supplier and hope they are fair. Had I given it to him before the holiday it would have been in warranty. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    ANALOG FREE SINCE 5/21/2010!! EGO-T, LUX, BOX MOD , SMOK TECH TELE, GG CLONE, VMODXL, VMOD2, VAMO (3), MINI VIVI NOVA, EVOD, CRYSTALS, VISION ETERNITY,AGA-T, RSST, EMPIRE MOD.
    ITS NOT AGE BUT MILEAGE!!!!!!

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

It sounds to me like the pin in the center of the connection got pushed down a little too low, not allowing it to make connection with the carto/clearo. You can CAREFULLY pry up the pin ever so slightly to raise the pin. I'm no expert, but I've had this happen on MANY devices, and it works. Any other ideas, experts??
    Merryhellion likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Intervention The only way to fix the problem is re-soldering the wires onto the micro usb charger and epoxying the charger into place so it wont move again . The larger usb has no charging board attached to it so it wouldn't work as a input to charge the battery. The only problem i've seen so far is that people are over tightening the large sleeve that goes over the 510 connection. It pulls both the negative and positive connections off the 510 connection if over tightened which in turn causes the non fire. But like The Maestro said try pulling the pin up a bit and clean the contact first.

DNA 12 VW Box, Aluminum DNA 20 VW Box , Legacy , Shockwave#116 , P+18650, Precise ELA SS , Precise Simplicity 18650, SS El Kapitan #76, Nemesis Polished SS

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Zibi If you know how to solder and have a set of torx drivers you should be able to handle it. I haven't opened one yet, but am going to be soon to fix one for a friend who has this same problem. If you do fix it use a larger GA wire too less prone to breakage. I use 20GA wire and lead free solder for all my 510 connections, and have yet to have one break. Hope I helped...... If not pm me and i'll answer any question I can Oh and you have to pull the pin out of the 510 before soldering or you will ruin the seal on the connector and leak into your mod.
    Last edited by Covert; 01-22-2013 at 05:27 AM.

DNA 12 VW Box, Aluminum DNA 20 VW Box , Legacy , Shockwave#116 , P+18650, Precise ELA SS , Precise Simplicity 18650, SS El Kapitan #76, Nemesis Polished SS

Super Member ECF Veteran

MVP is great but Innokin quality control is non existent at best. My first MVP arrived with completely dead battery. So I bought another one from different vendor. It arrived today, it works but the Voltage down button didn't work. Obviously Innokin never tests them. I managed to replace the faulty momentary switch but it took over an hour. MVP is almost impossible to do repairs on, it's a disposable.