Bottom Coil or Top Coil Clearomizer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Bottom Coil or Top Coil Clearomizer?

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Bottom Coil or Top Coil Clearomizer?

Hi,

Without getting too product specific, can someone explain the pros/cons/tradeoffs between choosing a top coil and a bottom coil clearomizer? are there any general characteristics before it becomes product specific?

Thank you kindly

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

i just got into clearos myself, but i have a pretty good idea about the tradeoffs

top coil- obviously coil is on top. there will be long wicks dropping down into the juice.

bottom coil- coil is on the bottom. with very short wicks that you can barely see

since clearos work by absorbing juice through the wick into the coil, the position of the wicks/length of wicks can drastically change the performance

top coil
    pros- easy to fill, clean, great hits at the start of the tank
    cons- very dry hits after you go through a little bit of the tank. you must swirl it and turn it to keep the wicks saturated. these tend to be juice hogs, can mute flavors

bottom coil
    pros- generally consistent hits throughout, less muted flavors, no problem with dry hits since the entire wick is in the juice the whole time
    cons- they tend to flood if your not careful, they seem to get dirty faster, sometimes are a little trickier to fill
    izaidi, Kent C, greenpang and 2 others like this.

no matter how much i save, i love vaping too much to ever break even :)

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bfrie View Post
    i just got into clearos myself, but i have a pretty good idea about the tradeoffs

top coil- obviously coil is on top. there will be long wicks dropping down into the juice.

bottom coil- coil is on the bottom. with very short wicks that you can barely see

since clearos work by absorbing juice through the wick into the coil, the position of the wicks/length of wicks can drastically change the performance

top coil
    pros- easy to fill, clean, great hits at the start of the tank
    cons- very dry hits after you go through a little bit of the tank. you must swirl it and turn it to keep the wicks saturated. these tend to be juice hogs, can mute flavors

bottom coil
    pros- generally consistent hits throughout, less muted flavors, no problem with dry hits since the entire wick is in the juice the whole time
    cons- they tend to flood if your not careful, they seem to get dirty faster, sometimes are a little trickier to fill
    thank you very much!

mol
    Senior Member ECF Veteran

its bottom coil for me! Did not like the top coil for reasons stated by bfrie above, stopped using them a year ago and went back to the tanks. My GF bought some bottom coils and I thought "Ya,OK". But now I'm a convert, love them. Lasting throat hit,great flavor and no leaks!

ken mol
    Rin13 and izaidi like this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mol View Post
    its bottom coil for me! Did not like the top coil for reasons stated by bfrie above, stopped using them a year ago and went back to the tanks. My GF bought some bottom coils and I thought "Ya,OK". But now I'm a convert, love them. Lasting throat hit,great flavor and no leaks!

ken mol
    now hold on, i have myself gotten leaking from all of my bottom coils, and there are hundreds of complaints about leaking on here. granted, it is usually caused by accidental flooding/improper filling, but the op needs to put that into account to make his decision

note: i only use bottom coils now, so i am not bashing them because i dont like them
    mol, izaidi and BostonVape like this.

ECF Veteran

Thanks for the posts guys! I just read that bottom coils have cool vapor, or at least the vapor is not as hot, so less throat hit? what was your experience with that?

is flooding and leaking the same thing? or is flooding so bad that you have to replace parts?

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by izaidi View Post
    Thanks for the posts guys! I just read that bottom coils have cool vapor, or at least the vapor is not as hot, so less throat hit? what was your experience with that?

is flooding and leaking the same thing? or is flooding so bad that you have to replace parts?
    cooler vapor does not neccesarily mean less throat hit, you can easily tweak your juice to fit your needs. personally throat hit is the lowest thing on my list anyway. i find hot vapor feels weird going in and leaves my throat feeling slimy? probably a better description for that. but, i have also never noticed a difference betweeen heat of vapor between top coil and bottom coil unless i turn the voltage up. if your worried about throat hit, i would strongly consider the fact that top coil can mute flavors, also muting the th.

flooding is when too much juice goes into the heating element, causing a poor hit, gurgling noise, bad taste. leaking is when juice is dripping out of the device somewhere. flooding can cause it to leak out of the center hole or the mouthpiece, and can cause juice to splatter in your mouth. just remember that not every bottom coil will leak/flood, and almost none will if you use them correctly and buy the better ones out there
    izaidi likes this.

Senior Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by izaidi View Post

The resistance of the coil is what will effect the warm/cool vape. For instance if I have a 2.5ohm head I vape it around 4 - 4.2 volts; a 1.8ohm head I would vape around 3ish volts.
    Kent C, izaidi and bfrie like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

In my experience bottom coils dont provide the TH that a top coil does

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    izaidi likes this.

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    The resistance of the coil is what will effect the warm/cool vape. For instance if I have a 2.5ohm head I vape it around 4 - 4.2 volts; a 1.8ohm head I would vape around 3ish volts.
    This is important. There are some vendors who send out T3's for example with 1.8Ω oem (that which comes with the clearo) coils - Good Prophets, heaven gifts - that also have the Tabac BCC name for the T3. Other vendors have the highest ohm 2.5-2.6ohm 'default' in the clearos - and some don't even sell the 1.8Ω coils or are out of them - ecigbest and a few others. That can be a difference of 2+ Watts and can certainly change the temp of a vape and sometimes blunt the taste of stronger flavors that need more watts.

That said, a 1.8ohm coil on a T3 is a bit cooler than a 1.8ohm coil on a top coil clearo, but it's not a big difference imo. And there may be some bottom coil/wicking clearos that leak but there have not been hundreds of reports on T3's. The T3 has the best sealed system I've seen - it's an improvement from the top coil and poorly designed inside seal of the T2 and it doesn't have the draw and center post problems of the stardusts and other CE clearos.
    izaidi and Broodwich like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast