Cleaning eGo Battery - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Cleaning eGo Battery

Account closed on request ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

At least twice a week I clean the connectors on all batteries and attys that are in use. E liquid builds up and gunks up and just totally messes with the contacts.

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Aaaah yes… Oxidation

The subtle interaction of Oxygen and reactive Metals. Bane to the common man and the source of endless conversation among Metallurgy instructors. When will a civilized world ever rid themselves of this age old scourge?

Although it would be easy to pin the blame for the eGo’s Black Gunk on a Redox reaction, I don’t think that is the culprit. In that, the Oxides that are formed on the surface of a reactive or semi-reactive metal when brought in contact with Oxygen and water have extremely strong bonds to the underlying substrate. These bonds are not easily broken by the mere rubbing of a mild mannered Q-Tip.

No, I think there is a Deeper, more Sinister cause to the appearance of this Black Gunk.

Is it possible that the Vaporization and subsequent Inhalation of e-Juice is not a 100% efficient process? Could there be residual vapor deposited on the battery connector during the vaping cycle? Could such a residue contain cantenated Hydrocarbon chains? And then this residual vapor acquire airborne particulates and then collect on the battery connector and it’s threads?

Possibly. Or there could be a simpler reason such as Witchcraft or Modern Day Alchemy.

But if I am ever on Jeopardy and the answer comes up “Black Gunk on a E-Cig Battery Connector.” I’m going to say. “What is Un-Vaped e-Juice Alex?”.
    svg1234 likes this.

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran Happy Domino38's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    Aaaah yes… Oxidation

The subtle interaction of Oxygen and reactive Metals. Bane to the common man and the source of endless conversation among Metallurgy instructors. When will a civilized world ever rid themselves of this age old scourge?

Although it would be easy to pin the blame for the eGo’s Black Gunk on a Redox reaction, I don’t think that is the culprit. In that, the Oxides that are formed on the surface of a reactive or semi-reactive metal when brought in contact with Oxygen and water have extremely strong bonds to the underlying substrate. These bonds are not easily broken by the mere rubbing of a mild mannered Q-Tip.

No, I think there is a Deeper, more Sinister cause to the appearance of this Black Gunk.

Is it possible that the Vaporization and subsequent Inhalation of e-Juice is not a 100% efficient process? Could there be residual vapor deposited on the battery connector during the vaping cycle? Could such a residue contain cantenated Hydrocarbon chains? And then this residual vapor acquire airborne particulates and then collect on the battery connector and it’s threads?

Possibly. Or there could be a simpler reason such as Witchcraft or Modern Day Alchemy.

But if I am ever on Jeopardy and the answer comes up “Black Gunk on a E-Cig Battery Connector.” I’m going to say. “What is Un-Vaped e-Juice Alex?”.

Jesus zoiDman, put down the PV, willya?

And, my votes for Witchcraft Alex....
    zoiDman likes this.
    510 - Happy Vaper/Happy Ego - Happy Vaper - The Precise - and Tasty Vapor vaped on all

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Sorry Domino38, But you didn't phrase your answer in the form of a question.

Inactive Supplier
    Blog Entries

Aaaah yes… Oxidation

Nice!

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran Happy Domino38's Avatar

Sorry Domino38, But you didn't phrase your answer in the form of a question.
    Damn.
    zoiDman and JUDGMENT AFFIRMED like this.
    510 - Happy Vaper/Happy Ego - Happy Vaper - The Precise - and Tasty Vapor vaped on all

I'm going to have to agree with zoiDman. I just received my new eGo batteries
    and cones. no gunk so it isn't machining oil. If it were "dead elctrons" I would think, you wouldn't see it on the threads of the cone as no electricity passes through that area. I vote for unvaped juice.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Great reminder to clean the batteries , I got lazy and needed to read this again.

Super Member ECF Veteran sjohnson's Avatar

Brass oxidizes, and the surface will look black. The oxidation wipes off with a tissue due to the mild abrasive nature of paper. If what comes off has a green hue to it, it's an oxide of copper (present in brass) and possibly of zinc, also part of the brass alloy.

If I had juice turning black on my battery threads, I'd be questioning my use of that juice.
    "... We seek a new birth of federalism because we seek a new birth of freedom, both for ourselves and for our posterity." Ronald Reagan

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Metal rubbing metal also contributes to the gunk. Very fine particulates. Q-tip often to keep things clean.
    Gear: EGOs, Go-Gos, Indulgences, E-Power, Lava Tube, GGTB & ELIPS Mix. Thanks to: ECF, MadVapes, Totally Wicked, Nhaler, Vapor Kings, GreenHouseOne, EastMall, Healthcabin, GotVapes, LorAnns & XtremeVaping.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast