• 1 Post By SmokeyJoe

Thread: EU to ban e-liquid sales ?

Forum Manager Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Forum Manager - contact
    more vapers = less oppression

Unregistered Supplier

Well I have read the link and further research on all the proposals at Tobacco - Revision of the Tobacco Products Directive | Public health , European Commission

It sounds as if the implementation is a forgone conclusion. Is it all too late. Very depressed at this news, although I suppose there are no restrictions from buying eliquid from outside the EU.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Unfortunately they intend restricting the availability of any product not approved and carting the sticker. So yes they do intend to stop imports.

Super Member ECF Veteran Old Chemist's Avatar

Situation in EU is getting worse, I'm afraid.
    According to the latest news from European Parliament, the new directive will effectively ban all liquids, not only those containing >4 mg/ml, as was suggested earlier - see Amendment 7 (pp. 8-9). This includes also cross-border sales (including Internet sales).
    In order to put the product on the market manufacturers or importers of the liquid will have to fulfill the requirements of the EU Directive 2001/83/EC (Medicinal products for human use). This will cost a lot of money and requires a lot of time.

So again Big Pharma and Big Tobacco are the only winners. What about human health? Who cares.
    Arrgh...

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Thanks so much for posting the information Old Chemist! Very bad news indeed!

Do you (or anyone else) know the specifics of how the EU works. Do they vote on this "Draft Opinion" for the changes or what? How does it proceed from here?
    I really like The Vapers Den forum -- it's got lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks; and we have a lot of fun. Just click below and take a peek and see!

ECF Founder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chemist View Post
    Situation in EU is getting worse, I'm afraid.
    According to the latest news from European Parliament, the new directive will effectively ban all liquids, not only those containing >4 mg/ml, as was suggested earlier - see Amendment 7 (pp. 8-9). This includes also cross-border sales (including Internet sales).
    In order to put the product on the market manufacturers or importers of the liquid will have to fulfill the requirements of the EU Directive 2001/83/EC (Medicinal products for human use). This will cost a lot of money and requires a lot of time.

So again Big Pharma and Big Tobacco are the only winners. What about human health? Who cares.
    Arrgh...

Thanks for the update, Old Chemist - I've blogged about it here: Europe - E-cigarettes to be banned in 3 years' time if committee's opinion is heeded. - ECF InfoZone

Very nice and clear blog entry, SmokeyJoe! You're absolutely right about the pattern - this might be just a beginning.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Wouldn't the Directive, approved with the proposed amendments, declare potatoes and tomatoes as medicine and require medical prescriptions to buy them (at pharmacies, presumably)?

I'm not sure the import is banned by the directive, since that part mentions "tobacco products" and not "Nicotine-containing products"

Full Member ECF Veteran Apoxing's Avatar

Will PG and VG also be banned ?

Provari | Morph2 | Vamo | Twist | Aga-t2 | Vision Eternity

Of course not. Zero nic liquids would not be affected by this directive. But most vapers (at least the beginners) seek nicotine solutions.