Reply from EU to Dr Farselinos et al
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Reply from EU to Dr Farselinos et al

Default Reply from EU to Dr Farselinos et al

http://www.ecigarette-research.com/w...-eu-scientists

scientists.pdf

seems they are taking the moral high ground with the 'Gateway' argument. Pffffff!
    Last edited by Julie W; 02-01-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Anjaffm, jpargana and AgentAnia like this.

It's laughable that the EU representative implies that the scientists may have e-cigarette conflict of interests (which they don't) and brings up the need for transparency. I wonder how many EU politicians are bought and paid for by the Big Pharm industry just like in the US?
    Maytwin, Anjaffm, Talyon and 3 others like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by wv2win View Post
    It's laughable that the EU representative implies that the scientists may have e-cigarette conflict of interests (which they don't) and brings up the need for transparency. I wonder how many EU politicians are bought and paid for by the Big Pharm industry just like in the US?
    It would be interesting to see the answer if they had asked for any conflicts of interest from the commission on previous employment, grants and campaign donations including BP from those involved in writing the proposed regulations.

That would be a fun to watch dance.

Support CASAA http://casaa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by NorthOfAtlanta View Post
    It would be interesting to see the answer if they had asked for any conflicts of interest from the commission on previous employment, grants and campaign donations including BP from those involved in writing the proposed regulations.

That would be a fun to watch dance.

From what I have read about politicians in Europe, from our vaping brethren across the pond, many of their politicians are as bad as the "nanny-state" ones here in the US.

From what I have read about politicians in Europe, from our vaping brethren across the pond, many of their politicians are as bad as the "nanny-state" ones here in the US.
    That's an absolute given.Underworked & overpaid!!
    E.U.deputies were recently caught on camera signing in for their daily attendance allowances
    & then promptly leaving for the day.
    (Vid in another thread,sorry cant link)
    Nice work if you can get it!
    Last edited by Julie W; 02-02-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: paragraphs
    NorthOfAtlanta and Anjaffm like this.

Lol, in Croatia a politician is successful as long as he stays out of jail.
    Anjaffm, DrMA, Rickajho and 2 others like this.

Made me lol
    danca90 likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

"Moral high ground" + science? Isn't that the same formula that brought us things like the "science" of eugenics?

Super Member ECF Veteran jpargana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julie W View Post

http://www.ecigarette-research.com/w...-eu-scientists

scientists.pdf

seems they are taking the moral high ground with the 'Gateway' argument. Pffffff!
    Yes... Pfffffff!, indeed !!

1) There are NO studies that show clearly that 'youngsters are starting with e-cigs, and then moving to tobacco cigarettes'. To say that, you would need to ask specifically in the (non-existant) study: "Are you currently using tobacco cigarettes?" and "Are you using, or have you used in the past, electronic cigarettes?"

2) Tobacco use among youngsters is actually decreasing :

The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: Despite Drastic Increase in Electronic Cigarette Experimentation from 2011-2012, CDC Survey Finds Decline in Cigarette Smoking Among Youth
    The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: If Electronic Cigarettes are a Gateway to Smoking, then Why Were Youth Smoking Rates at an All-Time Low in 2013?

3) The fact that 'e-cig use is raising among youth', paired with thee fact that 'tobacco use is decreasing among youth' can have a logical explanation: youngsters are being sucessful in quitting cigarettes - just as their not-so-young counterparts... how can that be seen as a negative thing? OK, I know, minors were not supposed to be using the e-cig... well, guess what? They were not supposed to be smoking either... I can speak for myself: I started when I was fifteen. That is the real world out there...

4) "For the sake of completeness we would like to ask for clarification whether the scientists that have signed the mail have undertaken research, provided consulting or received funding/travel support from electronic cigarettes companies"

Really...? Dr Siegel's blog is full of entries about 'pseudo-scientists' who always 'forget' to state their own conflicts of interest with BP... I'm not saying those conflicts are not a problem... they are. But why are they given any significance only when it comes to the e-cig?

Blog Entries

As expected, the letter fell on deaf ears, and was dismissed wholesale and with extreme prejudice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast