Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to clean atomizer

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCig View Post
    How to clean atomizer?now that is old e-cigarette buyers problem.About 2 weeks US and UK customers can buy new type e-cigarettes,each cartridge contains new atomizer,so you dont need to clean atomizers anymore.but the price is littelbit higher then usual cartridges.
    That's all well and good, but for now the only alternative to cleaning atomizers is buying new stock all the time (or shelling out big bucks for a loong totem, which apparently tastes like horse manure!).
    Also i'm hoping that the rest of the world also gets to take part in this upcoming revolution :-)
    Dave Allen: "I've stopped smoking...I think the cost was a lot of it, and not being able to breathe. I first gave up smoking when I was eight."

Banned ECF Veteran

after poking around a bit i am beginning to arrive at a conclusion/theory on this atomizer coils going wimpy thing..

when they come new they have some kind of absorbent wrapping or coating around the small wire wound heater coil..

the purpose of this coating seems to be to wick or absorb liquid and bring it into close contact with the heater coil itself.. its this small quantity of liquid held in the wrapping that is vaporized and produces the goods..

this wrapping burns away a little with each puff.. after so may puffs its ether all burned away or gone charred and hard.. it loses it absorbency.. when this happens the coil no longer does the vapour producing it used to do.. the result is the all too well known wimp..

cleaning wont stop or help this process only replacing the atomizer will..

i need this theory confirming either my the makers or someone who has taken brand new atomizers apart.. so far i have only looked at well used ones.. i see what looks like black charred crud around the heater coil.. .. i need to see the brand new coils before they gets used..

some kind of fiber material burring away quite quickly because its in direct contact with near red hot resistor wire coil does explain why these thing wear out so consistently and in such a short time..

i have tested eight cigarillo atomizers recently.. when new they produce lots of vapour and are nice devices to use.. but they last less than a week before turning into wimps.. this very short working properly lifespan has had me puzzled.. this as yet unproven (by me at least) absorbent coating burning away theory does explain whats happening and why..

a new atomizer (greencig) with each new cart seem to be one answer.. but it really does have to be cheap.. the cost is the key factor here.. or for heavy smokers like me it is.. no way on this planet could i follow the greencig route even thow i do think they are on the right track..

we are following the printer ink pattern.. both in the rip-off factor and the printhead being replaced every time a new print cartridge is fitted..

e liquid has taken over from printer ink as the most expensive liquid on the planet.. it seems the way the carts are going to be sold is following the same pattern..

what i need is a cheap replacement atomizer every week or so.. not be ripped off even more i am already for over priced carts..

to think i would be going thru three atomizers per day is silly.. again okay for the occasional user or party smoker.. of no use at all for the heavy smoker.. the cost factor will make it totally unpractical for the likes of me..

but at least it shows the makers are aware these things dont last long..

trog

Kit

Nice post Trog very interesting mate
    I said "NO" to nicotine but he wouldn't listen !

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran leaford's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clavit View Post
    I will!

I just popped another atomizer in the ultrasound; this time in vinegar, followed by tap water. This time i'll let it dry for a couple of hours before dripping and testing!

Stay tuned for more......

Cool. Mine's coming tomorrow. I'd be interested in how the vinegar does, But I'm thinking wodka.
    Last edited by leaford; 07-22-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added quote I am replying to.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Vodka would be my choice, too .. and none would ever be wasted.

Trog, I liked that e-cigar. It felt better between my teeth than any other device I own. I could sip the thing, puff it exactly as I would a real cigar. I don't need to ALL THE TIME produce giant clouds of vapor. The little cigar that wouldn't die filled a perfect niche in my e-smoking routine. It traveled in the car with me on every trip. It produced the same little puff of vapor every time since new -- right up to its ill-fated bath.

This morning it still slumbers. Condition: Critical in the intensive care unit. The atomizer still has a faint beat, and will produce crackling smoke if I blow through the battery. But it's not wicking liquid properly, that's for sure. Dripping does NOTHING. It's on life support and I refuse to yet pull the plug.

Blog Entries

Trog, if you're right, and it sounds about right to me, then the only reason the fiber around the heating coil should burn is if it dries out, possibly as a result of overheating, or possibly a result of user error, like smoking on an empty cartridge.

I can imagine a couple of ways manufacturers could avoid this, or at least reduce it. One would be to design the wick and resevoir so that the coil will be moistened first by incoming liquid, and would dry out last as the liquid is used up. Another might be to find a more heat resistant, but still absorbant material.

I'm just brainstorming on those, but I do know something one manufacturer is trying. Sedansa's extra long life batteries get their long life, not from a larger capacity, but from a more intelligent microprocessor, which "communicates with the atomizer."

Actually, it probably just senses heat, but the point is, instead of just cutting off after a programmed number of seconds to protect the atomizer from overheating, like all other batteries, they can tell when the atomizer is too hot and cut off the power according to that.

The intent is to save power, but it may also do a better job of protecting the heating coil and the fibers around it, and therefore extending the lifespan.

Now, better still would be if there was some way it could sense a DRY atomizer, and cut off the power.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalBob View Post
    Vodka would be my choice, too .. and none would ever be wasted.
    Well, none but me, anyway.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by clavit View Post
    Inspired by this forum, i went ahead and got me an ultrasound cleaner!

I had a couple of atomizers for generic dse901's, that are producing next to no smoke.
    Yesterday, i popped the first atomizer in the ultrasound, cleaning it with tap water (expecting it to die a painful death by drowning!). After six minutes worth of ultrasound, i did see a fair amount of oily stuff leave the atomizer, but no black crud/buildup.
    After blowing it dry and priming it, i put a battery on it along with a cartridge, and hey presto: NO CHANGE :-(
    However, after fiddling a bit, i did get a bit of smoke. 3 drops into the atomizer: more smoke for a short while. Last night i put in a fresh battery and cartridge, and it seemed to be coming back from the (almost dead). This morning, it's giving me a fairly decent amount of smoke, not like a new unit but definitely useable :-)
    I guess maybe i didn't let it dry long enough, and i had water in the steel wool, which in turn kept the e-liquid away from the heating coil.

The bottom line: Ultrasound cleaning may be a way to extend the life of a wimpy atomizer, but i'm not yet 100% convinced. More tests to follow....
    I'm about to get one of these, Clav. Did you go for the denture sized one or the tray model?

Emp

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Karen and I was also considering getting one of these. I would go for the denture size just so I could clean more things at once.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I'm kinda drawn to the tray model - I make a lot of mess...

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast