Huge news from the UK: E-cigarettes more effective than NRT for smoking cessation
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Huge news from the UK: E-cigarettes more effective than NRT for smoking cessation

ECF Founder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default Huge news from the UK: E-cigarettes more effective than NRT for smoking cessation

I will be blogging in detail on this later, but for now - the headline and some links to news reports.

Make no mistake. This is enormous news - E-cigarettes have been shown by the UK's most expert team in smoking cessation to be at least 60% better than over-the-counter NRT at helping smokers quit. Note - the authors have not yet examined (or at least published) on the type of e-cigarettes used. This is the population as a whole and, similarly to the US, cigalikes still dominate front-line distribution - it is tempting to conclude that segmenting by product type would reveal even more dramatic data.

Also, this quote is quite remarkable (from the Guardian article): "He [Professor Robert West] admitted, however, that it was a controversial area. He also acknowledged opponents' fears and suspicions about the commercial involvement of scientists. "I don't and will not take any money from any e-cigarette manufacturer," he said. His department does take money from pharmaceutical companies that make smoking cessation drugs, but they are rethinking that. "I need to be able to talk about e-cigarettes without even the conception of conflict of interest," he said.

E-cigarettes more effective than patches to help quit smoking, says study | Society | theguardian.com
    E-cigarettes boost quitting success among smokers, study finds | Reuters
    BBC News - E-cigarettes 'help smokers to quit'
    Quitting Smoking Is More Likely With E-Cigarettes, UK Study Says - Businessweek

I have written elsewhere about the extreme importance of West's study (the smoking toolkit) being carried out in the United States. I think this underscores the necessity.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Very helpful indeed. It is to be hoped that any future regulation is "light touch" and does not interfere with either the availability or efficacy of our devices.
    Proud owner of Itaste MVP v2/2xVamo V2/Vamo V5/ L-Rider Lambo 4/ Octopus RDA/2xIgo-L etc etc

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

The UK's may be - the US's not so much. This data must be submitted to the FDA.

By the way - Hello mate! Hope you're well...

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Hello SJ - I'm just fine, and hope that the same goes for you, too.
    Proud owner of Itaste MVP v2/2xVamo V2/Vamo V5/ L-Rider Lambo 4/ Octopus RDA/2xIgo-L etc etc

Ultra Member Supporting Member Roger_Lafayette's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
    [...]
    I have written elsewhere about the extreme importance of West's study (the smoking toolkit) being carried out in the United States. I think this underscores the necessity.
    I couldn't agree with this more. If we can get everyone together - from ECF denizens to the opinion leaders on the web like VP live, Youtube etc., the local vape shops, the state and local vapers' orgs and so forth - to try to crowd fund a study like this to the tune of (?) $500K-$1M, that could make a real difference.

The results would send a huge message to the media and to congress about the value of vaping-as-cessation, and let the average apathetic American know that vaping can help to reduce their own health insurance premiums. Other than scaring apathetic nonsmoker/nonvapers, the most effective approach to getting them to pay attention, is to wave the almighty dollar in front of their noses, methinks

About the toolkit E-Cigarette Summit - Prof. Robert West - ECF InfoZone

SJ, I think you siad the UK survey was done by YouGov which I believe is the UK equivalent of Gallup, Harris, Pew, etc. - all rolled into one: List of polling organizations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You've also said that you don't think US gov't orgs like the CDC can be trusted to accumulate this data. I coudn't agree more with this, too. We need some respected organization in the US to do this, some body that's neutral, with a well-established track record in such things. Of course the US media would do their best to ignore it. But then perhaps we have to start taking out advertisements in our media, staging protests in Washington DC, and the whole nine yards. (Or maybe something else. I'm just pointing out that there are ways to force the public and the regulators and the politicians to pay attention to the truth. It costs money, it takes organization and requires boots on the ground. But we have and/or can get all of these things.)

This could help to bring us together, to give us a cause and a specific national US vapers' goal - beyond the rather amorphous objective of fighting the FDA's potential actions (which I am also very much in favor of doing, don't get me wrong).

It would be something to rally around that most if not all of us can agree on: proving to an American audience that vaping really does work as cessation - with evidence gathered from the US.

P.S.: Before someone quibbles with the health care cost argument I made above, by pointing out that having smokers quit will actually be a net drain on the US's finances, let me point out that I agree with that But that's not what the ANTZ have sold to the average person. The same might go for the actual level of carnage due to combustible tobacco product use. Perhaps it is hugely exaggerated.
    Last edited by Roger_Lafayette; 05-20-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    EleanorR, LaraC, DrMA and 2 others like this.
    Don't WAIT until the FDA takes away your right to vape! Join CASAA: a vaper's rights industry-UNaffiliated CHARITY w/ NO PAID STAFF, that has stopped bans on sales of vaping supplies & much more. Join FREE, info. is confidential: http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Roger,

I'm so glad you agree. What we need is for Robert West to do the data analysis. He's been running the Toolkit for 6 years and there's no one better placed to do it in the world. He would do it in a flash, if it were funded.

He's also a totally, utterly non-agenda driven man (save for the scientific agenda), and accordingly would not take funding on this from anyone with a commercial interest in the results: no ecigs companies, no pharmaceutical companies and (obviously) no tobacco.

Would he take money from the community? I'll ask him....

Roger,

I'm so glad you agree. What we need is for Robert West to do the data analysis. He's been running the Toolkit for 6 years and there's no one better placed to do it in the world. He would do it in a flash, if it were funded.

He's also a totally, utterly non-agenda driven man (save for the scientific agenda), and accordingly would not take funding on this from anyone with a commercial interest in the results: no ecigs companies, no pharmaceutical companies and (obviously) no tobacco.

Would he take money from the community? I'll ask him....
    And ask him how much.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Already done!

A bit more than the US, but only because of costs - no need for a larger sample. So, call it $200k/year (at a complete guess).

Quote Originally Posted by wv2win View Post
    And ask him how much.

Ultra Member Supporting Member Roger_Lafayette's Avatar

Already done!

A bit more than the US, but only because of costs - no need for a larger sample. So, call it $200k/year (at a complete guess).
    This is definitely in line which what's plausible, I think. I don't khow what was raised for Burstyn (Drexel) or the latest Dr. F. e-liquid study ($20-30K?). That took maybe six months (?). Less, maybe.

I had multiplied your original est. by 2-5 to scale it for the US, given that UK pop = 60M, vs. US = 300M. But that was the clearly the wrong approach.

What's needed to get the ball rolling? Maybe start talking to some critical opinion leaders for starters? Just thinking out loud.

If we could get this done by the time FDA comes out w/ their final proposed rule and presents it to OMB and then to Congress, this could be some pretty helpful evidence for exerting pressure on the administration and congress.
    LaraC, DrMA and aikanae1 like this.
    Don't WAIT until the FDA takes away your right to vape! Join CASAA: a vaper's rights industry-UNaffiliated CHARITY w/ NO PAID STAFF, that has stopped bans on sales of vaping supplies & much more. Join FREE, info. is confidential: http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

Already done!

If all 20,000 active ECF members donated $10 each, that would cover it. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast