FDA Deeming Comments - I'm starting to be worried - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: FDA Deeming Comments - I'm starting to be worried

Blog Entries

New comment posted on my ECF Blog. re: appropriate regulations
    zoiDman and aikanae1 like this.
    The war against vaping continues: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/fda-regulations/
    Get involved: casaa.org

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrMA View Post
    New comment posted on my ECF Blog. re: appropriate regulations
    I like the First Sentence in the Last Paragraph of your blog.

Something that I believe the FDA is in Many Ways losing track of.
    DrMA and aikanae1 like this.

Here's the cruel irony of this whole exercise: if the government simply left things as they are, cigarette smoking would be largely a thing of the past within the next 5-10 years. Any regulations or restrictions they choose to impose will only make the process take longer than it needs to, and hundreds of thousands more people will die needless deaths in the meantime.

Based on what I've seen at my local convenience stores (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who can attest to this), Altria and RJR have been more than willing to devote their best areas of shelf space to their vapor products, even when it means their flagship combustible products are now hidden from public view. Isn't that a good thing? If the companies that are primarily responsible for the tobacco disease/death epidemic are willing, of their own volition, to steer their customers toward alternative products that won't kill or sicken them, shouldn't they be allowed (or encouraged) to do so?

Blog Entries

Now that ^^^^ would make for a great micro-comment to the FDA deeming. Please copy and paste using the link in my signature.
    The war against vaping continues: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/fda-regulations/

Blog Entries

Interesting factoid: A total of 1394 comments were posted to the deeming docket since Friday. A quick search of these most recently posted comments reveals only 13 are about ecigs, 9 of which are pro-regulation, 1 is sort-of related (but mostly about cigars), and 3 against the deeming (1 of which is mine ).

Really? Less than 1% of the comments in the last 24 business hours are about ecigs?

I must confess, I am rather disappointed...
    zoiDman and aikanae1 like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

This is nerve wracking.

There are a fair share of people that appreciate the copy paste method of writing. It would be nice to start a thread of good comments submitted as inspiration that others can use for formatting their own comments. I know CASAA doesn't want the same things posted over and over, yet at the same time a number of people are insecure in their writing abilities.

If I recall, the FDA had a specific list of questions they were looking for information on; about 99 of them. Wouldn't answering those be more appropiate than personal stories? It seems to me we should be submitting studies and reports with comments about the highlights or summarizing them in our comments.

I may be way off base here. If we needed sheer volume and personal stories, then people should have been submitting them for the last 3 months rather than holding off until the end. It's hard for others to argue against personal stories. Submitting data is more specific and I can understand why that might be held back until the last month.

I did run into a report stating that the question of menthol in cigarettes went through several extensions due to the fact it got over 130k comments in the first 60 days - then compared it to ecigs having only 30k comments. This was from a news source and we all know what they don't know... but still, it made me nervous to think that it could have made a difference.

Just some random thoughts.
    zoiDman, LaraC and DrMA like this.
    "Don't blink."

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by aikanae1 View Post

If I recall, the FDA had a specific list of questions they were looking for information on; about 99 of them. Wouldn't answering those be more appropiate than personal stories? It seems to me we should be submitting studies and reports with comments about the highlights or summarizing them in our comments.

I may be way off base here. If we needed sheer volume and personal stories, then people should have been submitting them for the last 3 months rather than holding off until the end. It's hard for others to argue against personal stories. Submitting data is more specific and I can understand why that might be held back until the last month.

I have heard Mr. Zeller mention in interviews that "Quality" comments would be Considered. The latest time I believe was during the Presentation and Q/A he did at the Legacy Foundation.

Personal Stories are Great. But I think if one can Include some Supporting Information like a drop in Blood Pressure Numbers or say a Tread Mill Report that it will give More Credence to the Reader.

Any Available Facts and Figures I believe should be Included into a FDA Comment.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrMA View Post
    Interesting factoid: A total of 1394 comments were posted to the deeming docket since Friday. A quick search of these most recently posted comments reveals only 13 are about ecigs, 9 of which are pro-regulation, 1 is sort-of related (but mostly about cigars), and 3 against the deeming (1 of which is mine ).

Really? Less than 1% of the comments in the last 24 business hours are about ecigs?

I must confess, I am rather disappointed...
    One thing I have Noticed is that the Online Cigar Industry seems to be Highly Organized. I have received Countless e-Mails from Companies I have purchased Cigars from in the Past urging people to make FDA Submissions. There Web Sites also have Splash Banners and or Pop-Ups doing the same.

To Date, I have received 2 e-Mail alerts from e-Cigarette Vendors regarding the FDA.

I also see Little/No Involvement by the B&M Shops in my Area. I think some of this is because Early On there was a Prevailing thought that e-Liquids would not be Allowed to be Sold Online. So Some B&M Shops believed they actually Benefit from FDA Regulations. So They made No Effort to Inform their Clientele of the FDA Comment Period.

And the B&M Shops are Only Now realizing that if the Regs go down the Way that Many Believe they will, that these B&M Shops are Dead Men Walking.
    DC2, NorthOfAtlanta, LaraC and 1 others like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

this came in my email:

MoveOn Petitions - Voice Your Choice

Yea, it's just a petition to Congress but the brillant part is that it's on MoveOn - and that's the dem's base. Issues are voted on. If this made an impact, dems would notice. More people belong to MoveOn than to the dems.

I'm pushing my non smoking friends to sign.
    Last edited by aikanae1; 07-22-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    aubergine, LaraC, DrMA and 1 others like this.
    "Don't blink."

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by aikanae1 View Post
    this came in my email:

MoveOn Petitions - Voice Your Choice

Yea, it's just a petition to Congress but the brillant part is that it's on MoveOn - and that's the dem's base. Issues are voted on. If this made an impact, dems would notice. More people belong to MoveOn than to the dems.

I'm pushing my non smoking friends to sign.
    Non-Smokers, who Out Number e-Cigarette Users by perhaps 100 : 1 seem to have been Left out of the Equation. And it seemed like a Missed Opportunity.

Because armed with the Drexel and CleanAir Studies, I ask people who Don't Smoke which would they Rather do if they have to?

Inhale 2nd Hand Smoke which has been Shown to be Harmful?

Inhale 2nd Hand Vapor which has been Shown to Present Almost No Harm?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast