FDA Deeming Comments - I'm starting to be worried
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: FDA Deeming Comments - I'm starting to be worried

Blog Entries

Default FDA Deeming Comments - I'm starting to be worried

There are now 39,252 comments posted on the FDA deeming docket website, but a search for the terms electronic cigarette, e-cigarette, e-cig, and ecig returns only 2503 results total. And many of those appear to be either ignorant endorsements, or ANTZ junk.

I understand CASAA's position for waiting may have served the purpose of securing an extension of the comment period. And we've gotten 30 days. I also know CASAA has requested an additional extension, but I don't see that happening. In the mean time, ANTZ have reorganized and have started to submit massive amounts of comments spewing their slurry in support of the regs. They're going for the win by overwhelming the docket with the sheer number of comments in support of the regs. In the mean time, it looks like most of the current comments are about cigars.

In light of these developments, I've decided to submit single-issue micro-comments (1 page or less) to the FDA docket on a daily basis, from now until the comment period is closed. Of course I will also continue to participate in the CASAA commenting efforts, in addition to my own micro-comments. Some of these are posted on my blog for anyone to use should they choose to do so.

I might be completely wrong on this, but wouldn't it be a positive impact if the majority of comments about e-cigs were against the deeming, rather than the other way around?

BTW, in spite of the initial fears on this, anyone can submit as many comments as they wish. So, my fellow vapers, start submitting, even if it's just one-liners like this:

"Electronic cigarettes are not tobacco products and should not be treated as such. Deeming them as tobacco is a grave error with deadly consequences for more than 40 million American smokers who will be denied access to an alternative that is more than 1,000 times safer than combustible tobacco."
    wv2win, DC2, faile and 11 others like this.
    The war against vaping continues: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/fda-regulations/
    Get involved: casaa.org

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

DrMA, I appreciate your passion and thank you for it. I hope they don't screw us, but unfortunately, what our government does is usually in favor of the entities with the most money. I have until now resisted the temptation of looking at the glass half empty. I believe what we do probably won't matter, but we have to try. I have wrote and/or called every elected official that represents me and the campaigns of the ones running. I joined CASAA and made a donation. I also joined the Vaping Militia.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    Blog Entries

Welp, I'm sold. Can you please provide a link to the website?
    aikanae1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ninja View Post
    A bit of common sense is required when doing some things in life. Shorting a battery with kanthal to cook a glycerine soaked wick, so you can suck nicotine rich steam and get your fix is one of them.

Blog Entries

Default FDA Deeming Comments - I'm starting to be worried

The war against vaping continues: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/fda-regulations/

DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I tend to agree with your assessment of the situation and your plan of action.

Having said that, would you mind posting something about this in the CASAA forum to get some feedback from them?
    I think they would possibly agree, but I'd like to hear their thoughts.

I'd make such a post myself, but I would start by deferring to you in case you'd rather do it yourself.

Blog Entries

Thanks, DC2. I'm not looking for deference, credit, or ownership of anything. What I would like is a few hundred thousand anti-deeming comments submitted to the FDA. If you have any ideas on how to make that happen, please, by all means, start doing it.

I posted a link to this discussion in the CASAA forum: Power in numbers re: FDA deeming comments

Please, let's use this thread here for discussion, not the one in the CASAA forum.
    Last edited by DrMA; 07-14-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    DC2, salemgold, 2coils and 1 others like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member Elizabeth Baldwin's Avatar

I actually read a lot of the comments. Have you noticed there's one comment on cigars that is just copied and pasted hundreds and hundreds of times. Every day this one comment is posted hundreds of times. It's identical. It's crazy!

I've been posting a comment here and there. I noticed very few comments about ecigs/vaping and quite a few about premium cigars. I figured adding a comment every now and then wouldn't hurt.

I really have to wonder if commenting will do us any good. Obviously it can't hurt but I think their minds are dead set on eliminating the majority of the vaping industry. They have said they know it will cause most of the smaller businesses to close. They also could care less that vaping has the potential to save millions of lives. It's sad!

I'm also a little disappointed in the number of vaping comments submitted thus far. You would think of all the people who use ecigs or vaping there'd be quite a few, but there's actually very few. Premium cigars seem to be the majority of comments.

I am writing my huge comment that has studies and such and I'm going to submit it near the end of the commenting period but I'm also commenting here and there just because I think we need quantity as well as quality.
    DC2, faile, DrMA and 2 others like this.

CASAA Member! We fight for Vaper's rights!
    Become a member at CASAA.org!

Blog Entries

Thank you, Elizabeth.

I'm actually almost convinced we cannot successfully oppose the deeming based on science, fact, or evidence. They have their own junk and summarily dismiss the real science on funding/COI grounds. It's easy for them, as they have years of experience doing the exact same thing to BT (successfully I might add).

However, we may yet have a chance to win by showing overwhelming popular opposition to these regs. IMHO, we can only win if our show of opposition is so massive that it will convince the FDA that they will have to face us and be held accountable in court for their actions. Anything short of that, they'll know that they can get away with anything by hiding behind the lies, propaganda, and "the children."
    DC2, Grammie, faile and 2 others like this.

Blog Entries

Update: Glantz himself has submitted more than 20 comments (that have been posted so far; I'm sure more are coming).
    Link to search results: Regulations.gov

And an outstanding comment by Joel Nitzkin: http://www.regulations.gov/contentSt...ontentType=pdf
    Last edited by DrMA; 07-14-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    LaraC and aikanae1 like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member Elizabeth Baldwin's Avatar

Looks like he's doing all he can. We need to do the same! His comments are probably biased research. It makes me sick.

I posted 2 comments today just because I feel we need more!
    faile, DrMA and aikanae1 like this.

CASAA Member! We fight for Vaper's rights!
    Become a member at CASAA.org!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast