Letter from senator Dianne Feinstein
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Letter from senator Dianne Feinstein

Full Member Verified Member Mr. Anderson's Avatar

Default Letter from senator Dianne Feinstein

I wrote my senator a little while back about the proposed FDA regulations.
    I'm not really sure what to think of it so I figured I ought to post it here. I believe I wrote to her during one of the calls to action, and just got a reply yesterday.
    Here is her reply:

Dear Alexander:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about electronic cigarettes. I appreciate the time you took to write and welcome this opportunity to respond.

As you know, electronic cigarettes, or "e-cigarettes," typically contain liquid nicotine which is vaporized and inhaled by the user. I recognize that these devices have become popular in recent years and that some individuals have been able to use them successfully as smoking cessation aids.

While I am a strong supporter of smoking cessation aids, I believe it is important that consumers have accurate information about their safety and effectiveness. Nicotine is a highly addictive and dangerous drug, and some public health groups have expressed concern that e-cigarettes may be marketed to children and other vulnerable populations as a "safe" alternative to traditional cigarettes. In addition, there is a lack of research about the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes as smoking cessation aids and about the safety of these products, some of which have been found to contain traces of toxic chemicals. Courts have ruled that e-cigarette manufacturers must submit evidence of a product's safety and effectiveness in controlling cigarette cravings before advertising an e-cigarette for this purpose.

On April 24, 2014, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced proposed rules to regulate electronic cigarettes. These regulations would restrict sales of e-cigarettes and related products to adults at least 18 years of age, and would require a health warning to be displayed on all products. Additionally, e-cigarette manufacturers would be required to register with the FDA. Any new products would be subject to FDA testing and approval before being marketed for sale. The FDA must consider public comments on the draft rule before it is finalized.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at http://feinstein.senate.gov. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the nation are available at my website, feinstein.senate.gov. And please visit my YouTube, Facebook and Twitter for more ways to communicate with me.
    Last edited by Mr. Anderson; 07-22-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Full Member Supporting Member

And from the honorable Richard Durbin of Illinois. At what cost?

Thank you for contacting me regarding electronic cigarettes. I appreciate hearing from you.
    In April 2014, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) outlined its proposal to regulate electronic cigarettes as tobacco products. Consistent with current tobacco regulation, electronic cigarette manufacturers would be required to register product and ingredient listings and only assert marketing claims of reduced risk if they are scientifically confirmed by the FDA. Additionally, minimum age and identification restrictions would be placed on the sale of these products.
    Recent FDA studies have found significant quality control issues with electronic cigarettes such as the presence of carcinogens and toxic chemicals, variations in the doses of nicotine in each inhalation, and the presence of nicotine in products claiming to be nicotine-free. Despite the lack of evaluation on the effects of these products, their popularity and user base continue to grow, especially amongst teenagers.
    According to a study released by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), about 21 percent of adults who smoked traditional cigarettes had also tried electronic cigarettes in 2011, a number that doubled since the previous year. From 2011 to 2012 the total number of middle school and high school aged children that had tried electronic cigarettes also doubled.
    I will keep your views in mind as I work with my colleagues and the FDA to ensure the safe and responsible advailability of electronic cigarettes.
    Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to stay in touch.
    Sincerely,
    Richard J. Durbin
    United States Senator
    RJD/cg

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

It is sad that our "representatives" are so ignorant

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Dianne Feinstein I believe it is important that consumers have accurate information about their safety and effectiveness.
    It's a damn shame they don't practice what they preach. They would be better served to research the truth instead of just trying to ban them based on mis-information and lies.

Richard Durbin - According to a study released by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), about 21 percent of adults who smoked traditional cigarettes had also tried electronic cigarettes in 2011, a number that doubled since the previous year. From 2011 to 2012 the total number of middle school and high school aged children that had tried electronic cigarettes also doubled.
    Then do something intelligent and make it illegal for anyone under the age of 18 and let adults make their own decisions. Common sense is something the Dem's have lost over the years and I don't think the Repub's will let anything get through the house.

The odd thing, I have yet to see a teenager or younger using a PV. Plenty with smokes, but hell those are illegal to anyone under 18 so I must have been hallucinating.
    Last edited by Marc411; 07-22-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    DC2, 2coils and EBates like this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Call to Action!
    Free to Vape organization has on their site a form to fill out so the FDA and your state reps will get either printed copies or faxes of a form stating YOUR position on e-cigs.
    Let's all get going on this.
    Link is;
    Free to Vape - Take Action

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc411 View Post
    It's a damn shame that don't practice what they preach. They would be better served to research the truth instead of just trying to ban them based on mis-information and lies.

Man... I was Thinking the EXACT Same thing when I read that.
    EBates likes this.

Super Member Supporting Member

I think these 2 examples are just against Electronic Cigarettes in General and cites studies{ CDC etc] as there reason. Its an easy way out ,an easy answer to send to those who write them in favor of Electronic Cigarettes. There minds were made up long ago and it had more to do with getting re=elected then any concern for smokers or Electronic cigarette users or young adults. Electronic cigarette users are a very small minority of the voting population and politicians don't think the numbers can sway an election. That is why I believe we need SAFATA and Vista Truth [ Vista Truth has an Individual Membership Level now] to hire professional Washington Lobbyists to fight for our rights. Big Tobacco and Big Pharm have Very highly paid lobbying firms on their payroll to push for restrictions thus allowing them to control the nicotine market whether it be cigarettes or Electronic Cigarettes or NRT products..
    Last edited by roosterado; 07-22-2014 at 01:45 AM.

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

BTW - It is Kinda Sad that these Senator Staffers only have One Form Letter to reply to people about e-Cigarettes.
    DC2, Just Me, Uma and 2 others like this.

Ultra Member

Obviously our elected representatives are far too busy pandering to their campaign contributors wishes to even personalize their form letter to fully show their distaste for dealing with us proletariat trash.
    DC2, Uma, Anjaffm and 1 others like this.

Uma
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I received the same form mail from Feinstein today too. So did DC.
    Time to flood her with more truths.
    UNITED WE STAND... divided we fall.
    Join http://casaa.org & protect your right to vape

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast