regulating e liquid as if it is tobacco product...
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: regulating e liquid as if it is tobacco product...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14

    Default regulating e liquid as if it is tobacco product...

    Regulating e liquid as if it is tobacco product is like trying to regulate ice cream as if it were the same as a steak. That being said, I will explain my comparison. E liquid has nicotine in it as does tobacco. Ice cream has water in it just like steak has water in it.

    To the best of my knowledge nicotine is the only thing that e liquid and processed tobacco have in common. E liquid is vaporized and can't be burned (I just tried to do it). Tobacco cannot be vaporized but can be burned (I know, it's not rocket science).

    I guess I just cannot wrap my head around how these bureaucrats think that e liquid is the same as tobacco. It is not. One is solid and can be burned, the other is a liquid and cannot be burned. One has FDA approved ingredients, the other has poisons, carcinogens, and a ton of other crap in it that could remove paint from a wall.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    Cullin Kin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The 3Oh!3, Colorado
    Posts
    1,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The kicker is, a lot of e-juice doesn't even contain nicotine. I use 0mg/mL juice. How can something without any nicotine at all be classified as a tobacco product? And isn't the 0mg e-juice the base for juices with nicotine?

    Therefore, going with your analogy, classifying e-juice with nicotine added as a tobacco product is like cooking meat in alcohol and classifying it an alcohol product (yes I know the alcohol burns off but still).
    Zurd, Jman8, Anjaffm and 3 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ninja View Post
    A bit of common sense is required when doing some things in life. Shorting a battery with kanthal to cook a glycerine soaked wick, so you can suck nicotine rich steam and get your fix is one of them.

  3. #3
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran wv2win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    GA by way of WV
    Posts
    11,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElmosRevenge View Post
    .........................

    What do you think?
    You are inferring that there should be some logic and common sense in how the FDA proposes to regulate vaping, as it relates to the public's health. But for that to occur, the premise that the regulations are about public health, must be true. There is the rub: these regulations have nothing to do with public health.

    These regulations are about protecting the financial interests of the FDA's primary constituency: the Big Pharmaceutical Industry.
    DC2, ctruth, JerryRM and 17 others like this.

  4. #4
    Full Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nashville,TN
    Posts
    80

    Default

    I had someone come up to me and start a conversation after seeing me vape about vaping. He said "I think those should be taxed and regulated like cigarettes since they mimic them". I then asked him if he thinks cap guns should require a waiting period and be 21 or older to purchase,he no that's silly. I said but it mimics the shooting of a real gun and can be hazerdoes to your health since noone would know it was a toy gun. Then I told him water should require being 21 or older since it does mimic Vodka, he didn't have anything to say after that.

    Vegetables and such have Nicotine in them,the amount is moot,I guess we need to regulate them also and you will have to be 18 or older to consume.
    Last edited by Jcdew67; 07-24-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    wv2win, DC2, dragonpuff and 13 others like this.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcdew67 View Post
    I had someone come up to me and start a conversation after seeing me vape about vaping. He said "I think those should be taxed and regulated like cigarettes since they mimic them". I then asked him if he thinks cap guns should require a waiting period and be 21 or older to purchase,he no that's silly. I said but it mimics the shooting of a real gun and can be hazerdoes to your health since noone would know it was a toy gun. Then I told him water should require being 21 or older since it does mimic Vodka, he didn't have anything to say after that.

    Vegetables and such have Nicotine in them,the amount is moot,I guess we need to regulate them also and you will have to be 18 or older to consume.
    I love that analogy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    aubergine likes this.

  6. #6
    Super Member ECF Veteran ctruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElmosRevenge View Post
    One has FDA approved ingredients, the other has poisons, carcinogens, and a ton of other crap in it that could remove paint from a wall.

    What do you think?
    You are citing Science as the compelling reason for FDA decisions.
    The opinions of the FDA are more in line with Theology (see Politics, Bribes, and embedded industrial board members). Also, as suggested by wv2win, see BP (Big Pharma).


    Capitalism = Selling something for way, way more than it's worth, plain and simple.
    Any questions?
    Last edited by ctruth; 07-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctruth View Post
    You are citing Science as the compelling reason for FDA decisions.
    The opinions of the FDA are more in line with Theology (see Politics, Bribes, and embedded industrial board members). Also, as suggested by wv2win, see BP (Big Pharma).
    It was like 2 am when I wrote that. I could have worded it better, but obviously I got the point across.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcdew67 View Post
    I had someone come up to me and start a conversation after seeing me vape about vaping. He said "I think those should be taxed and regulated like cigarettes since they mimic them". I then asked him if he thinks cap guns should require a waiting period and be 21 or older to purchase,he no that's silly. I said but it mimics the shooting of a real gun and can be hazerdoes to your health since noone would know it was a toy gun. Then I told him water should require being 21 or older since it does mimic Vodka, he didn't have anything to say after that.

    Vegetables and such have Nicotine in them,the amount is moot,I guess we need to regulate them also and you will have to be 18 or older to consume.
    I am totally stealing this the next time someone gets diarrhea of the mouth regarding e cigs.
    nomore stinkies likes this.

  9. #9
    Super Member ECF Veteran ctruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElmosRevenge View Post
    It was like 2 am when I wrote that. I could have worded it better, but obviously I got the point across.
    That you did. Good topic for getting crap off our chests.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cullin Kin View Post
    The kicker is, a lot of e-juice doesn't even contain nicotine. I use 0mg/mL juice. How can something without any nicotine at all be classified as a tobacco product? And isn't the 0mg e-juice the base for juices with nicotine?

    Therefore, going with your analogy, classifying e-juice with nicotine added as a tobacco product is like cooking meat in alcohol and classifying it an alcohol product (yes I know the alcohol burns off but still).
    Good point. I didn't think of that.
    Rlrick likes this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks