Thread: CASAA's Comment to the FDA Deeming Reg's

ECF Moderator
    Registered Reviewers/Bloggers Manager
    Asst. Classifieds Manager
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default CASAA's Comment to the FDA Deeming Reg's

Last night, CASAA submitted their 53-page comment on behalf of consumers to the FDA regarding their deeming regulations.

Here is a link to their blog post about it (with highlights):
    CASAA: CASAA Submits Comment to FDA on Behalf of Consumers Regarding FDA Proposed Deeming Regulation

Here is a link to the PDF of the entire comment:
    http://casaa.org/uploads/CASAA-FDA-Comment-8-7-14.pdf

ProVarinati Supporting Member Gato del Jugo's Avatar

I'm only part of the way through so far, but they did an awesome job with it..

Totally ripping the FDA & our opposition a new one -- but with that "lawyer-ese" finesse...

I'm literally LOL'ing, here..

This is a must-read, folks...
    Last edited by Gato del Jugo; 08-10-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: wordz..
    JustJulie, sonicdsl, LaraC and 2 others like this.

You know, I can't say for sure either way..

But given the fact that CASAA has been reading & even participating at this FDA Regs board here at ECF from day-1 of its creation, upon (still) reading their submitted comment I can't help but think that many of us here, via posting & discussing along the way, helped play a role in the drafting of such an aggregated, honed & clarified official response, whether we even realized it at the time...

In which case: Job well done, peeps!
    JustJulie and Sundodger like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran dragonpuff's Avatar
    Over the river and through the woods, Western NY

I'm reading it on and off, I've made it to page 23 so far. It's got that delectable mix of cold hard truth and biting sarcasm that I long for in politics and legalese very nice job CASAA!
    JustJulie, DrMA and Sundodger like this.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpuff View Post
    I'm reading it on and off, I've made it to page 23 so far. It's got that delectable mix of cold hard truth and biting sarcasm that I long for in politics and legalese very nice job CASAA!
    I'm a bit ahead of you, and I assure you that they just keep cranking it out..

From pages 34 & 35...

"FDA is asserting that it has sufficient expertise to regulate businesses and millions of consumers in this sector. Yet it presents scientific evidence in the naive manner of a child writing his first research paper, treating any assertion that is written down as if it must be correct."

Finished!

Really good stuff.. Very impressed...

Anyway, I just sent them a small financial donation via PayPal at their website: CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (under the "Get Involved" tab at the top)..

I included a quick note, which I think is also important:

Thank you for all your time & effort spent composing your FDA-submitted comment. Truly awesome writing! To show my appreciation, I'm donating $1 per page, for a total of $53. Thanks again, and please keep up the excellent work!

You might want to consider doing the same, whether it's 10 cents per page or $10 per page, or whatever you can afford at the moment.. I, for one, think they truly earned it..

You also get a nice thank-you message afterwards, explaining why this is so important for them, for us, for all the future vapers out there, and even the non-vapers in our lives...

Thank you for your contribution to CASAA!

As you may already know, CASAA has no membership dues and we don't conduct fundraisers. We rely on freewill donations from the community and we're grateful every time someone has stepped up to the plate to support the work that we do.

We need that support now more than ever and your gift is a timely one. The battle we're facing right now with the FDA is our biggest one yet, and we're not going to be able to do what we need to do on a shoestring budget.

Again, thank you for your support of our work. I can assure you that your donation will be put to good use in our battle on behalf of consumers, to ensure the availability of effective, affordable and reduced harm alternatives to smoking.

Julie Woessner, President
    CASAA
    JustJulie, Kent C, DC2 and 9 others like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran aubergine's Avatar

It's tremendous. CASAA is terrific and I'm endlessly grateful for them. It's hard to think that so much intelligent effort, straightforward and thorough argument and simple truth might not receive a fair hearing. I very much wish that it would carry the weight in those deliberations that it should. And yeah, I know. And still, I do.
    JustJulie, cgrl, JC Okie and 3 others like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran dragonpuff's Avatar
    Over the river and through the woods, Western NY

On page 41:

"Perhaps what is most notable in this collection is CTP’s palpable sense of frustration about how
    complicated the available information about e-cigarettes is. Several authors practically concede
    that they wish more of the information was spoon-fed to them, and that they are unable to deal
    with a world in which all knowledge is not collected into a small number of indexed papers..."

I'm dying!
    JustJulie, Kent C, cgrl and 9 others like this.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." Doctor Who

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpuff View Post
    On page 41:

"Perhaps what is most notable in this collection is CTP’s palpable sense of frustration about how
    complicated the available information about e-cigarettes is. Several authors practically concede
    that they wish more of the information was spoon-fed to them
    , and that they are unable to deal
    with a world in which all knowledge is not collected into a small number of indexed papers..."

I'm dying!
    Perhaps they should spend some time in the New Members forum.

Wait..... never mind
    JustJulie, cgrl, aubergine and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast