Vaping Zone Concentrated DIY Flavors - Page 53
Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast
Like Tree788Likes

Thread: Vaping Zone Concentrated DIY Flavors

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Trying to develop some all-VG recipes, I finally tried VZ. I started at 1% and worked up/down to my preferred strength.

Mint Gum SC: Not a fan of this. I would have been happy with spearmint, peppermint, wintergreen, or any combo, but this one doesn't taste minty to me. I could be convinced it's a juicy-fruit gum flavor. Don't know what to mix it with, so it's gonna sit a while.

Lemon SC: I think it tastes a little like a cleaning product. It works well as lemon in my tea vapes, but I don't like it alone.

Blackberry SC: After a horrible experience with FlavourArt blackberry, and with so many great reviews I saw, I had high hopes. It is a vast improvement, but it tastes to me like blackberries rolled in garden soil. There's a very earthy note at the end of the exhale that I'm having a hard time covering up. Bummer.

All of the alcohol-based super-concentrates I tried were a bit disappointing in flavor and strength. I needed 2-4% on all of them, and there are many other manufactures' flavorings I use at less than that. BUT I did get one hit:

Vanilla Sponge Cake gourmet-SC: At 0.5%, I like this a lot. I like it plain, but I'm always looking for new combinations. So I tried a little lemon, but didn't knock my socks off. Blackberry wrecked it. But it's VERY good with some TFA Eggnog! I'll get good use from Vanilla Sponge Cake, and at 0.5%, this little bottle will be a lifetime supply. I'm really happy getting such strong flavor from such a tiny amount, and this one hits my sweet tooth just right. But it is a PG flavoring, which defeats my original goal.

So I'm still on a quest for a zero-PG vape. VZ cost me $31 to try 4 flavors, and I could try a heap of Nature's Flavors (alcohol-based organics) samples for that.

Before I write off VZ's non-PG flavorings, are Caramel Mocha or Cocoa Chocolate worth trying, given that I like TFA's Caramel Cappuccino and FA's Cocoa and Chocolate flavors? I wish VZ's peppermint wasn't menthol; I would love a non-PG peppermint. Is Fresh Breath a non-menthol mint?

Just Aaron Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

VZ's Fresh Breath is menthol so skip it. Personally my favorite mint recipe uses a combination of TFA's Spearmint (2%) and FA's Spearmint (5%) with a little vanilla something or other.

VZ's Caramel Mocha is fantastic in my opinion and if you like TFA's caramel cap I think you will like this one a lot. The Cocoa chocolate is not great in my opinion but the Gourmet Chocolate Truffle is fantastic, it's a lot like the sponge cake in that a little goes a long way and it actually tricks my brain into thinking I am eating chocolate. I mix it with a little bit of strong orange and it is really good.
    Last edited by mourningshadow; 02-18-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    aikanae1 and HeadInClouds like this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Thank you, mourningshadow! You saved me adding yet another to my misnamed "mint" flavor rejects collection.
    I'll take your advice and put Caramel Mocha and Truffle on my shopping list. thanks again.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

HeadInClouds, did you say you're trying for a zero PG e-liquid? The gourmet line are PG-based right? maybe I'm thinking of something else, (I didn't get any of those yet for that reason though.)

Edit: do you let the alcohol based ones evaporate off, or vaping right away? aging them or steeping at all? just curious, thanks
    Last edited by ~Sue~Feb2012; 02-21-2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: to add a sentence
    HeadInClouds likes this.

Vaping since Feb. 2012, avoiding approx. 30-35 cigs a day. Everything I tried prior to finding e-cigs failed! Write to your Senators and Representatives, the CDC and the FDA. Tell your e-cig story to them and to CASAA too and let our voices be heard!

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by searching4answers View Post
    HeadInClouds, did you say you're trying for a zero PG e-liquid? The gourmet line are PG-based right? maybe I'm thinking of something else, (I didn't get any of those yet for that reason though.)
    Edit: do you let the alcohol based ones evaporate off, or vaping right away? aging them or steeping at all? just curious, thanks
    Yep, I'm aiming for no PG, and this 'gourmet' line is indeed PG-based. I'm not having luck finding VG flavors I like. I'm using 'gourmet' Vanilla Spongecake at one-quarter-percent now, still has good flavor. Admittedly not PG-free, but that IS very low. A couple more I like much could tide me over until I find non-PG flavorings I like. I can tolerate Nature's Flavors Kona Cream and their Honeydew, but I've been disappointed in all other non-PG flavorings I've tried so far.

I always vape right after mixing, set it aside if it's not good. I've let the alcohol-based mixes sit for a week, so they've aged/steeped. At such low percentages, there's not much alcohol to evaporate. But nope, no change in flavor. I'm not surprised they haven't changed. I rarely notice a big flavor change from aging any liquid, tobaccos and some spices excepted.

I have hundreds of pg-based flavors, and I'm still using them - but at 1-2%. I've easily adapted to light flavoring. In fact I may give up on flavorings entirely. I was surprised to discover plain VG with nic is fairly satisfying. But if I could find a non-pg, non-oil-based peppermint flavor, I'd sure be happy.
    Shilo, ~Sue~Feb2012 and aikanae1 like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Cool. I'll have to try some of the gourmet line on my next order as I see there's some new ones in the alcohol line as well. I can tolerate a drop or 2 of PG-based flavor in a 5 ml bottle of my nic base, so I'll give them a whirl
    Shilo likes this.

Vaping since Feb. 2012, avoiding approx. 30-35 cigs a day. Everything I tried prior to finding e-cigs failed! Write to your Senators and Representatives, the CDC and the FDA. Tell your e-cig story to them and to CASAA too and let our voices be heard!

Moved On

Good review!
    Shilo likes this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInClouds View Post
    Yep, I'm aiming for no PG, and this 'gourmet' line is indeed PG-based. I'm not having luck finding VG flavors I like. I'm using 'gourmet' Vanilla Spongecake at one-quarter-percent now, still has good flavor. Admittedly not PG-free, but that IS very low. A couple more I like much could tide me over until I find non-PG flavorings I like. I can tolerate Nature's Flavors Kona Cream and their Honeydew, but I've been disappointed in all other non-PG flavorings I've tried so far.

I always vape right after mixing, set it aside if it's not good. I've let the alcohol-based mixes sit for a week, so they've aged/steeped. At such low percentages, there's not much alcohol to evaporate. But nope, no change in flavor. I'm not surprised they haven't changed. I rarely notice a big flavor change from aging any liquid, tobaccos and some spices excepted.

I have hundreds of pg-based flavors, and I'm still using them - but at 1-2%. I've easily adapted to light flavoring. In fact I may give up on flavorings entirely. I was surprised to discover plain VG with nic is fairly satisfying. But if I could find a non-pg, non-oil-based peppermint flavor, I'd sure be happy.
    That's the percentage I vape Vanilla Spogecake at myself---its very powerful stuff but I still love it. Its great to add to other mixes if they need perking up.

Blog Entries

A Bump I suppose.
    I got these in Dunhill, Dark Plum, Rum Raisin, Cream and Pina Colada - and the raspberry gourmet which Is a seperate type really.

Dunhill was good right at 2.5% - I tried it at 4% and ended up diluting that down to about 3.33%

I mixed up the others at 2.5% and cream is great.
    The Pina colada is short on pineapple, the dark plum tasted weak, the rum raisin tastes mostly artificial grape I bumped them up 50% to 3.75% and the weak tastes got better - i decided to give them time.

After 2 days the dunhill is even better and the cream and dark plum too.

The Rum raisin still tastes like artificial grape and the Pina is still mostly coconut.

How long a steep do the fruits need? I'd read fruits are typically ready to go without steeping but these with their high concentration and alchohol base aren't typical.

I mixed some TFA and LA flavors after - the fruits all have a perfume taste till I air them out a few hours and end up 10-20% flavoring which is getting more PG than I'd like. The VZ Gourmet Raspberry did need airing out - it says use 1-2% but I stopped at 3% and it is still pretty weak after 2 days - maybe 5% plus a little sweetener.

So I thought about these VZ SC flavors again and a search found this thread - but it hasn't been very active lately.
    Last edited by csardaz; 06-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Shilo and aikanae1 like this.

Fabulous Post Shilo!!! Very good info!!
    Shilo likes this.