Movie Quiz 82 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Movie Quiz 82

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Answer time!

#1: The Pirates! Band of Misfits
    Aardman Animations, the claymation studio most famously known as the creators of the Wallace and Gromit series of animated shorts and features, released this movie in 2012. It follows the misadventures of a group of mostly inept high seas plunderers, as their Captain tries to prove his worth by winning the Pirate of the Year award. That’s him in the disadvantageous position in the screenshot, battling a warrior-like Queen Victoria.

#2: Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
    Released in 1996, this movie tells the story of Chris Cooper, (played by Kevin McDonald), a lead research scientist at Roritor Pharmaceuticals. He and his team invent the drug GLeeMONEX, a cure for clinical depression, but it is rushed to market before thorough testing can be done. It isn’t until later, after the drug has become hugely popular, that they discover its coma-like side effect.

Also, in a stroke of bad taste comedic genius, (IMO), this movie features Bruce McCulloch as Cancer Boy.

#3: Dazed and Confused
    In this Richard Linklater comedy about coming of age in the 1970s, Matthew McConaughey, (as Dave Wooderson) famously says: “That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

#4: World War Z
    Max Brooks, the son of Mel Brooks, wrote the novel that this 2013 movie was loosely based upon. Very loosely… Like, almost to the point of not being based on the book at all. But, the movie does have the same name as the book. So, there’s that. Oh yeah, and the main character, Gerry Lane, isn’t actually named in the book… Nor is he nearly as adventurous as Brad Pitt.

For what it’s worth, though, I actually really liked this movie. It was entertaining and fun in a turn-your-brain-off, popcorn flick kind of way.

#5: Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
    Forest Whitaker plays a mafia hitman who lives by a particular code in this 1999 Jim Jarmusch film. If that canine he's observing in the screenshot were an apparition, part of this movie's title would be right there in the quiz.

#6: South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
    If the animation style alone doesn't give this one away, (and it really should), then how about this: It's a movie in which Saddam Hussein and Satan are lovers, and they're preparing to take over the world of the living, starting with a small town in Colorado.

#7: Clue
    It's a lead pipe certainty that this film was used in a previous movie quiz, and it shouldn't take a professor's degree or hours of library time to figure out what movie it is. Those who already know it have every right to be proud as a peacock. But, if you still can't tell what this film's title is, that's OK. Put down the revolver, and go play some billiards.

#8: La Femme Nikita
    I think bob has already provided an excellent set of hints for this one when he posted earlier that...
    #8 is a French action thriller film which was followed by an American remake, which was followed by a late 90's tv series, followed by a new tv series. If that helps.

I'll only add that the American remake used a completely different title, and starred Bridget Fonda as the main character.

As always, thanks for playing, guys!

ECF Veteran

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention this in the answers post above, but I forgot:

The American remake of La Femme Nikita is called Point of No Return. I haven't seen it in a long, long time, but I recall that it was pretty good. Not as good as the French original, but worth watching nonetheless.
    bobsyeruncle likes this.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran bobsyeruncle's Avatar

Thanks, caff. Another fun quiz this week.
    caffeinated likes this.

ECF Veteran

I'll be putting together a new Movie Quiz over the weekend. This time, I'll likely be running a higher-than-usual risk of alienating my audience, as I'll be using only movies I've seen in the past 10 days or so. And at least a few of them are pretty obscure.

So, gird your loins, and prepare for perhaps the most difficult quiz yet!

Or maybe not, depending on how bad it looks once I gather all my screenshots...
    Last edited by caffeinated; 01-24-2014 at 11:00 PM.

ECF Veteran

Sorry I've been M.I.A. for a while. Shortly after I made the post above, I managed to catch the flu, (about a month after getting my first flu shot ever... Figures, eh?). Unfortunately, that developed into pneumonia, and I was hospitalized briefly. I'm definitely on the road to recovery now, but, between the illness and the horrible things all the antibiotics were doing on my digestive system, life really sucked for a while. Ugh...

Anyway, I'm looking to get a new Movie Quiz assembled over the coming weekend, so keep your eyes open.

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran vaporgalinfla's Avatar

Caff - I wondered where you had been! Sorry that you've been sick.
    caffeinated likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123