Artificial sweetener gives me headaches- advice, please?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Artificial sweetener gives me headaches- advice, please?

Default Artificial sweetener gives me headaches- advice, please?

I just recently purchased two 60ml bottles of e-juice[blueberry and wintergreen] and did not realize that they use aspartame and such in the sweet flavors [I probably shoulda guessed, since I already know nutrasweet doesn't mix well with me, but I didn't imagine it'd even be vapable]. Now I'm getting headaches and nausea when I vape to the point I'm actually going back to analogs since I ran out of the menthol flavor I was using before.

Are there any sweet e-juices that use sweeteners that don't have these side effects, or should I just avoid all sweet flavors in the future? Also, should I put these up on the trade board in this forum? They're cheaper juice[top vapor from madvapes], but I've heard a lot of people say they like these flavors. I just can't endure the side-effects.
    Godsmulligan likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

MadVapes uses Aspartame in their juice? That's a new one on me. I only order hardware from them (most TopVapor juice is too perfumey for me), but that's good to know.
    Μολὼν VαPέ
    Come join the party in New England...now on Facebook too!

Sorry if I am unintentionally being misleading. To clarify: I'm not SURE what artificial sweetener they use, but to me it tastes like, and has the same nasty side effects with me, as does aspartame. I was going to write them earlier and ask, but they didn't seem to a contact e-mail listed and I didn't have time to call.

Does anyone here know?

ECF Veteran

I don't think that inhaling natural sugars is a good idea for a couple of reasons, not really going to go into all of them here. I know that a lot of vendors use liquid surcalose, likely because it is heat stable and aspertame is not. You can DIY and use stevia to sweeten your juice or buy non-sweet juice and add stevia, if that is a sweetener you can tolerate.

If you have an intolerance for all artificial sweeteners, it would probably be safest to stick with unflavored nicotine juice, since many flavors can have undisclosed artificial sweeteners in them.

Quitting analogs and getting too much nicotine can also cause similar symptoms. Are you certain it is from a sweetener and not another cause?

Super Member ECF Veteran

I use liquid stevia in my juices. I haven't had any atty issues with it,and unlike sucralose it doesn't leave a funky chemical sweet aftertaste either

ECF Veteran

How does Ethyl Maltol compare as far as chemical taste? I've tasted plenty of sweet juices, but very few have a chemical after-taste.
    Μολὼν VαPέ
    Come join the party in New England...now on Facebook too!

Full Member ECF Veteran John Edwards's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justboringsarah View Post
    I use liquid stevia in my juices. I haven't had any atty issues with it,and unlike sucralose it doesn't leave a funky chemical sweet aftertaste either
    i normally use sucralose and i do beleive i know what you mean on the funky chemical aftertaste... so were can i get stevia?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

And you're telling this just after I received a bottle of Splendex, maybe I shouldn't have purchased it. Any other side effects those sweeteners can do? Like leaving lots of residue in atomizers? I tought they were safe to vape.

Vamo Shrink + IGO-L + Kanthal 30g + ~1.5 ohms + Rayon + CGR18650CH 2200mAh

PV Master ECF Veteran

Check out vaperite ejuices. The organic ones contain no sweetener at all and none of the juices Todd sells use Stevia.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by KirLog View Post
    I just recently purchased two 60ml bottles of e-juice[blueberry and wintergreen] and did not realize that they use aspartame and such in the sweet flavors [I probably shoulda guessed, since I already know nutrasweet doesn't mix well with me, but I didn't imagine it'd even be vapable]. Now I'm getting headaches and nausea when I vape to the point I'm actually going back to analogs since I ran out of the menthol flavor I was using before.

Are there any sweet e-juices that use sweeteners that don't have these side effects, or should I just avoid all sweet flavors in the future? Also, should I put these up on the trade board in this forum? They're cheaper juice[top vapor from madvapes], but I've heard a lot of people say they like these flavors. I just can't endure the side-effects.
    Kirlog,

I get headaches too from some juices. I ordered a bunch from Bluemist vaping and get a headache within 30 seconds of vaping them! Does it hit you like a needle in your forehead- dead center up near the hairline? It's such a distinct headache from Nutrasweet and Aspartame!

I have vaped 12 flavors from Kick Bass Vapor and they were all dessert flavors and tasted wonderful and gave me no headache!! Try them:Kick Bass Vapor

And I've tried using EM/Cotton Candy in my DIY juices and that doesn't cause me any head aches!!

Good luck,
    Lori
    Last edited by silkakc; 02-01-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    base234 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast