Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: VG & Acrolein

Question VG & Acrolein

Started vaping about a month ago. Started with Halo juices and they won't reveal their pg/vg ratio:

(What is the pg/vg ratio of your e-liquid?
    This is proprietary information which we are unable to share at this time. There are many companies looking to duplicate Halo e-liquid, and we prefer not to offer any specific information regarding ratios or specific ingredients.)
    but thinking it's mostly pg.

Got a sample of "Vita Bella Tobacco" from Goodejuice. Really like it, 50/50 pv/vg.
    Great tobacco flavor and plenty of vapor. Really like the extra vapor, not much on TH but great flavor and love the tobacco flavor and the extra vapor is attributive to the extra vg, correct?

For me, the act of "smoking" plays an important role in my vaping, seeing and feeling the vapor helps mimic an analog more for me and helps me to stay off the analogs.
    As a matter of fact, just ordered VG Cigar (Tobacco) 30 ML ( Hope I like it) from Liberty Flights which is straight VG. ( Loved cigars)

I recently read that: "There is an important question about safety concerning VG, that does not affect the other two liquids: if taken to over its boiling point it can degrade into acrolein, which is poisonous. However all tests so far indicate that for some reason this does not happen in an e-cigarette although theoretically it might."

Does anyone else that likes/uses straight vg have concerns regarding the possibility of acrolein toxicity? Have there been any studies on this? I Googled it but found nothing.

2. Advertisement
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran madjack's Avatar

....don't quote me cause I never stayed at a HoliDayInn or played a chemist on TV...BUT, I did read somewhere, the temp for the formation of acrolien is more than twice what the temp reached while vaping is...I dunno, just what I read somewhere. one time, back when.............
    madjack
    Jim Bob likes this.

Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers
    Riva 510s, 2, 14650 E-Powers & EverCool box mod w/Resurrectors/Boges/dccs

4. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    ....don't quote me cause I never stayed at a HoliDayInn or played a chemist on TV...BUT, I did read somewhere, the temp for the formation of acrolien is more than twice what the temp reached while vaping is...I dunno, just what I read somewhere. one time, back when.............
    madjack
    I also read that "Acrolein apparently has a strong, characteristic odor so it would be noticed " but.... at that point would it be too late?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Never heard of that. Scary.

Just found this.

"Acrolein can be a chemical formed in certain chemical reactions with chemicals in e-cigarette solutions. Numerous studies regarding this have been posted and it has shown to not be a concern in e-cigarette applications. Those studies have also shown that In addition to reaching its boiling point, the chemicals would require a catalyst that is absent from our solution. It would also be produced in the form of a deposit, not in the form of an inhalation such as vapor or gas."

So.... I guess it's not an issue. Considering the thousands of toxins in analogs as compared to vaping
    Jim Bob likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

oh phew! Thanks Guy, that makes me feel better!

Full Member ECF Veteran

Can you link us to such a study please?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Life is not without risk, just how it is,
    I have NO doubt that vaping is MUCH better for us than smoking is, no smoke, CO, tars, very nice to not be inhaling > 60 KNOWN carcinagens YMMV

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

As a side note....I don't believe companies that say the can't say because it's "proprietary". There are so many great companies & flavors out there that openly give the proportions. It's not like your asking for every single ingredient, which by the way is on every thing else we consume. Even coke post there ingredients.

It makes me think some of the vendors are buying from somewhere else & honestly don't know, or they are just being a little stuck up. If a vendor won't release basic info like that I for one won't really deal with them. There's way to many allergies & health concerns we as customers have & these vendors need to be forthright. If they won't say, no big deal. I'll just buy from some one who will.
    inanitydefined likes this.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran 36tinybells's Avatar

I am with Wyetterp- I have allergies and have reacted too many times to eliquids, now I diy 90 percent of what I vape, mainly so I don't have to worry about it!
    Jim Bob likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast