what is the shelf life of eliquid?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: what is the shelf life of eliquid?

Full Member ECF Veteran

Default what is the shelf life of eliquid?

Does anybody know this? How long will bottles of eliquid last sitting in a drawer? Will they lose potency? Do they "spoil"? Just curious as i have some old bottles i got a couple of years ago.

Sure, the efficacy of the nicotine will diminish, or really the nicotine will break down. The liquid's "journey toward entropy" isn't going to seem like a spoiled food. It'll just get blander and blander. Since the flavors are much more complex than the nicotine, the taste should go before the efficacy.

Edited to add: I don't know nothin' 'bout nothing' but I am a strong believer in entropy.
    Kuljit likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Odd. I find the flavor to get stronger and "darker" with age. Seems like the juices get marginally better tasting after a week or two. Then, over months, they seem to get thicker and lose their "brightness" if that makes any sense.

For example I just recently revisited a bottle of orange creamsicle that's almost two years old. It was 50/50 VG/PG in 36mg nic. It has lost most of it's sweetness. Still orangey and tasty, yet substantially different than I remember when it was new. Also makes a much thicker vapor now. Could be some evaporation or breakdown of content. Since it's not nasty tasting or making me ill, I'll keep using it until it does or I run out. I've also considered getting some straight PG to cut it a little and see how that turns out. VG would just make it too thick and unvapeable for me.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

In my house a bottle of juice sitting in 80 degrees 60% humidity, anything over a year will become unvapeable to me.I just finally decided to fridge some juices in bottles to test the other end of juice storage thought process, so in a year or so will know which works better.

Senior Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Yes ejuice goes bad... In my experience it is very evident when it does. Some gel pretty thick and get a bad flavor. Some just go bland and nicotine shelf life I have seen through vendors expressed as 1 year in good storage conditions ie cool dark place.
    2- 1000mah Ego C Twists with Mini VIVI NOVAs. Vaping DIY Menthol ICY 25mg/ml 50VG/50PG Backups 1-1100mah EGO W and 1-650mah EGO C

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

well, here goes my two cents, again not being a vaporer for too long I can only go from the chemical end of it. PG is much more subseptable to evaporation than VG. VG is a thicker ingredient so it gets more concentrated and gels. PG from what others say on the DIY juice talk is what carries the flavor, that is why at the better sites when they state 100% VG they will put in a disclaimer that is not actually 100% as they need a certain amount of pg to bind the flavor, if not vg and the extracts of flavor would separate. THe lack of flavor you find might be that the PG that held flavor evaporated . Im also assuming that means that if they use organic or 100% nat flavors that eventually they being natural might have a shorter shelf life. Ive seen some people say they have juices for years and still good. Maybe those are the artificially flavored juices with high pg content.
    "me, I'm on the side of the Angels............ but the Devil is my best friend"

The label on the liquids I've got say to use within 24 months of opening. They're 66%PG/33%VG, if that makes a difference.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I keep my nic base in the freezer and mix up 36mg with fresh VG/PG when I run short.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Well, it doesn't sound like it'll kill me. That's good. All mine are 100% PG so it sounds like the flavor may still be OK. Thanks for your input everyone.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Couple of questions, 1) If any of you are storing eliquid in a freezer does it actually freeze solid? and 2) Would this be bad in a seperation/breakdown chem sorta way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast