Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Should we vape juices that eat through plastic?

  1. #1
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Arnie H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default Should we vape juices that eat through plastic?

    Hi. Any opinions on this: Should we be vaping juices that are capable of eating through plastic tanks? Juices like radiator pluid, etc? Kinda makes you wonder what it might be doing to your lungs. Of course everyone is free to do as they wish, just wondering about the health issue? Anyone else prefer natural flavors and no artificial color?

  2. #2
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    442

    Default

    I see your point but it sure as hell beats the 4000 chemicals in traditional cigarettes. Until there is concrete evidence of it causing ill effects then I will keep on vaping these juices.

  3. #3
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Just to add - some may call my statement ignorant as "anything that eats through plastic can't be healthy". Well I and all of us here were ignorant enough to smoke for years on end.

    Vape on!

  4. #4
    ECF Moderator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Caridwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    I don't know if natural or colors have a heck of a lot to do with it. It's not really the e-liquid or flavorings, but the plastic.

    Let's make a list of juices/flavors that crack tanks, ce2's/clearos...

    Never heard of issues with any flavorings with glass or polypropylene

  5. #5
    Full Member ECF Veteran HeavyUser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NewYork
    Posts
    82

    Default

    I just got my first 2 bottles of Pluid cutter. I put it in a carto tank and with 8 hours of smoking it I started noticing a brown run off coming out of my carto holes. I can only assume the Pluid is somehow dissolving whatever is getting gunked on the coil. Today I decided that anythign that will eat away at platic for whatever reason I'm not going to smoke. I'm not a health nut but in my opion this is just wrong. Its already hard enough for me to vape knowing there is no concrete evidence that it is safe. I was never a smoker of cigs before I started vaping. This is just all my opinion.
    Altaire Versailles likes this.

  6. #6
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran Baditude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Everyone calm down. The issue here is a chemical reaction between specific flavoring agents to a specific plastic - polycarbonate. This link has an interesting explanation of the process: Why Do Some E-liquids Crack Plastic Tanks?

    The molecules of certain flavors can have a chemical attraction to certain components of polycarbonate plastic. As more and more bonds are made, the plastic weakens and either cracks or melts. This in no way means that these specific flavors do the same thing to your lungs when you vape it.

    As an anology, everyone here likely drinks soda pop and has had no issues with it dissolving away your stomach. But many people will apply soda pop to the corrosive buildup on a car battery's terminals to make it dissolve away.

    The choice is obviously your own to decide whether to vape one of these flavors. I have a few Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors that I have used for months and have had no pulmonary problems from doing so. Nearly all of my juice delivery devices are made of pyrex glass.

    For additional information on this topic, including a video of a clearomizer melting and safe options to use with these flavors, read this blog article that I wrote: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...s-flavors.html

  7. #7
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyUser View Post
    I just got my first 2 bottles of Pluid cutter. I put it in a carto tank and with 8 hours of smoking it I started noticing a brown run off coming out of my carto holes. I can only assume the Pluid is somehow dissolving whatever is getting gunked on the coil. Today I decided that anythign that will eat away at platic for whatever reason I'm not going to smoke. I'm not a health nut but in my opion this is just wrong. Its already hard enough for me to vape knowing there is no concrete evidence that it is safe. I was never a smoker of cigs before I started vaping. This is just all my opinion.
    May I ask what got you into e cigs?

  8. #8
    Full Member ECF Veteran HeavyUser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NewYork
    Posts
    82

    Default

    I enjoy smoking. I understnad the chemical reaction involving the plastic, I guess I'd just like to know why im getting a brown runoff coming out of my cartomizer. It's a hell of a turn off.

  9. #9
    PIF Forum Moderator Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Mr.Mann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Detroit, Mi
    Posts
    13,720
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    Everyone calm down. The issue here is a chemical reaction between specific flavoring agents to a specific plastic - polycarbonate. This link has an interesting explanation of the process: Why Do Some E-liquids Crack Plastic Tanks?

    The molecules of certain flavors can have a chemical attraction to certain components of polycarbonate plastic. As more and more bonds are made, the plastic weakens and either cracks or melts. This in no way means that these specific flavors do the same thing to your lungs when you vape it.

    As an anology, everyone here likely drinks soda pop and has had no issues with it dissolving away your stomach. But many people will apply soda pop to the corrosive buildup on a car battery's terminals to make it dissolve away.

    The choice is obviously your own to decide whether to vape one of these flavors. I have a few Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors that I have used for months and have had no pulmonary problems from doing so. Nearly all of my juice delivery devices are made of pyrex glass.

    For additional information on this topic, including a video of a clearomizer melting and safe options to use with these flavors, read this blog article that I wrote: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...s-flavors.html
    Yeah, I have been wondering about the safety of dihydrogen monoxide--after all, it does corrode metal.
    EleanorR, SupplyDaddy and The Goo like this.
    The post above this signature was true for me at the time I typed it.

  10. #10
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran Baditude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyUser View Post
    I enjoy smoking. I understnad the chemical reaction involving the plastic, I guess I'd just like to know why im getting a brown runoff coming out of my cartomizer. It's a hell of a turn off.
    I realize you're new to vaping, but we are not "smoking". There is no burning of anything and there is no smoke involved, just vapor. Sorry if this is nit-picking, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

    I have no idea what is happening with your Pluid and cartomizer. I have Pluid in a cartotank, too, and I've never experienced that with that flavor or any other.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks