Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: Doubts over the safety of NET E-liquids

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default Doubts over the safety of NET E-liquids

Dr Farsalinos' latest study again gives the green light on the safety of vaping as expected, however it tested a range of different flavours this time. One of these was a tobacco extract from House of Liquid (El Toro cigarello) that was found to be Cytotoxic. It's early days yet by it might have implications for all NET flavourings. House of Liquid claim to have their product tested for safety, however what they were testing for and the component that caused a negative result on the cytotoxicological (yep, I think I made that word up) test might be two different things. It could be that there's a component in NETs that is currently not known to cause a problem but which we should be testing for.

Evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells: a new study

It sounds like bad news for NET vapers but to put it in perspective here: vaping NETs is still far, far safer than smoking cigarettes.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 10-17-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Katya, Racehorse, Ipster and 4 others like this.
    Chris, Fidalgo of Fabrication, Viscount of Vapeonly, Duke of Downunder.
    Tobacco free since 15th March 2013. If I could stop buying hardware I might actually save some money.

2. Advertisement

I read most of the study (time to go to work!). Very interesting! My takeaways ... all of the NETs that showed cytotoxicity were from the same manufacturer. Other manufacturers who claimed to use some extracted tobaccos did not exhibit the same cytotoxicity. And the researchers believe the cytoxic NETs could be caused by cured tobaccos and/or pesticides that resided on the tobacco leaves. Clearly more studies need to be done to follow up, but this one appears to be sound and I liked how they compared everything against the "control" of cigarettes to see whether the e-liquids were more harmful than cigarettes (none of them were).

4. Advertisement
    Super Member ECF Veteran

my takeaway message: there are 10^15 molecules of oxidative free radicals per PUFF of a cigarette. i didnt see where they measure the ecig vape for that but it must be magnitudes less as its not burned.

flavor additives are the suspects for main effects. makes USDA kosher organic look better doesnt it

then again carbon monoxide and diesel exhaust are much worse than ecig vape for two diff reasons but we are breathing that in the city and in parking lots and traffic
    fabricator4 likes this.

I'm not worried by it, nor bothered from the study.

NETs are still safer than analogs, and far better tasting.

Super Member ECF Veteran Ipster's Avatar

Thanks for sharing.

My first Vape order arrived = Feb 14, 2011. Last analogue Nov 06, 2012 MAHALO ECF!

Ultra Member Verified Member HeadInClouds's Avatar
    Blog Entries

NET? Is that 'naturally extracted tobacco' or what?
    I'm not familiar with House of Liquid. Are they the only producer?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Sometimes it's nice to have common sense vindicated by science.
    Racehorse and fabricator4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInClouds View Post
    NET? Is that 'naturally extracted tobacco' or what?
    I'm not familiar with House of Liquid. Are they the only producer?
    Yep, NET is for naturally extracted tobacco, or natural/extracted tobacco. There are many ways to extract flavor from tobacco, but the simplest and most common is a simple maceration. That's basically soaking tobacco in pg and/or vg to extract the flavor of the tobacco. Heat can be used to speed up the process. This is then filtered and the end result is a flavoring extract that can be used to make vape juice.

House of Liquids is a UK vendor that has a line of NET. There are dozens of NET vendors in the US.

Ultra Member Verified Member firephly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
    I read most of the study (time to go to work!). Very interesting! My takeaways ... all of the NETs that showed cytotoxicity were from the same manufacturer. Other manufacturers who claimed to use some extracted tobaccos did not exhibit the same cytotoxicity. And the researchers believe the cytoxic NETs could be caused by cured tobaccos and/or pesticides that resided on the tobacco leaves. Clearly more studies need to be done to follow up, but this one appears to be sound and I liked how they compared everything against the "control" of cigarettes to see whether the e-liquids were more harmful than cigarettes (none of them were).
    So I guess maybe the answer then is to find a NET organic version, is there a supplier who has that?
    fabricator4 and Gerick like this.

What I would like to know where do these NET suppliers get their tobacco leaves and
    if they were treated with pesticides.
    firephly likes this.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast