Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: How do you "discover" new flavors?

Moved On Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Blog Entries

Default How do you "discover" new flavors?

As a psychologist, I often wonder about patterns of behavior and how we learn them.

I'm starting to wonder how people in different parts of the country / world find out what flavors they like. I know in my area of Southern California, there are so many B&M shops that my pattern has been to simply try to visit them all, see what they offer and try as many as possible. This has become a hobby for me, but I have to assume it's isolated to SoCal where the B&M shops are in abundance.

So my question is simple: how do you discover new flavors? Do you blindly order online? Do you trust others reviews in ECF? Do you have a trusted mentor who tells you what they find to be great? There must be over 1000 flavors on the market now, and more coming daily...how do you find what you like with all of those options?
    Coil and Kent Brooks like this.

I used to buy based on reviews but got burned too much that way. The best experiences have come mostly from free samples of juice thrown in with an order... especially those orders placed for hardware only. I think it has worked out that way because the vendor notices that I'm a new customer and haven't purchased their juice before so they send their very best examples of it. I found my current ADVs that way. The vendor threw in two samples... one tobacco and one dessert with a hardware order. I now vape their juices pretty exclusively.
    EleanorR likes this.

I visit a lot of my local B&M stores since they are in over abundance in my area. I also like supporting online vendors who support the vaping communities either through youtube reviews, or watching vapeTV and their reviews and interviews with vendors. Recently I have gotten into DIY and am trying to recreate my favorite flavors.

Super Member Verified Member Dustmight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For me, access to B&M shops with reputable products is a challenge. There are some amazing vendors located in my state, but just not close enough to make regular visits to sample their products. Most of my choices thus far have been recommendations from friends, and from folks on YouTube who review juices/products in depth. There's a lot of waiting for the mail and trial and error involved, as well as a stockpile of "Meh" juice samples as a result. The forums are great, but in my opinion, rather cumbersome to wade through for thorough opinions. It would be great if there were a strictly "juice reviews" forum or site out there that would be similar to this site for pipe tobacco: TobaccoReviews.com - The largest collection of pipe tobacco reviews on the internet All that being said, I personally enjoy the "hunt for juice" as a hobby. Discovering something great is just an added bonus.

Ultra Member

Unfortunately I have only one 'local' store (within 20 miles) and they don't have good juices.

So, like many, I go by reviews. That actually hasn't worked very well for me and I've spent way too much money ordering samples from various vendors and not liking them.

I've only found two vendors that I've stuck with and - this might seem strange - both had 'interesting' websites. By 'interesting', I think I mean they show a bit of imagination, not just a 'generic' site with 'generic' pictures (and 'generic' juices).

And neither seem afraid to post bad reviews. That's actually very important. When I'm checking out a vendor's website, no negative reviews sends up warning bells.
    Pam1384 and Anjaffm like this.

Dragon Lady Supporting Member Anjaffm's Avatar

Excuse me please, I am from Germany, and I have seen this mentioned all the time but cannot find it on Google (heck, I am googling from Europe, so US American links are not the first that Google will find for me .... ):

What exactly is a B&M shop, please?

To answer the OP's question:
    I discover new flavors mainly by sticking with one vendor whose liquids I like and then ordering some of their other flavors, especially if other vapers (whom I trust) recommend them. - In my home country, we do not have offline shops everywhere. So we order online mostly, and there is the shipping charge to be considered. -

The other day, I was in vaper's heaven, visiting a vaping fair
    Oh, all the lovely flavors to try.. like a child in a candy shop .... Vanilla Custard, Banana Milkshake, Dragon Blood (= berry).. so wonderful It is so nice to discover new flavors!

Apart from that, I mix my own liquids. Mostly one flavor per little bottle, and then I mix the flavors in the tank if I want to. Easier that way, and more variety if desired.

/edit - in case any ANTZ read this:
    disclaimer:
    "like a child in a candy shop" was a reference to myself, and I am 53 years old :P
    sda2010, EleanorR, Mr.Mann and 2 others like this.
    Happy vaper since 4 Nov 2011, after 35 years of smoking
    22 April 2014: Results of Survey by Dr. Farsalinos et al

Brick & Mortar physical space (store) differentiating from online cyberspace (store.)
    Last edited by patkin; 10-30-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    EleanorR and Anjaffm like this.

Dragon Lady Supporting Member Anjaffm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by patkin View Post
    Brick & Mortar physical space (store) differentiating from online cyberspace (store.)
    thank you very much!
    That's what it is! What we call an "offline shop" in Germany, as opposed to the online shops!
    I really appreciate it! And there I was, thinking about a huge chain of "B&M" retail vaping outlets in the US *giggles* Like "H+M" clothing stores or Starbucks. Vape-bucks or Star-vape or something like that

Oh, and as to discovering new flavors:

As offline shops - or B&M stores (I am so proud of myself!) are rare in many regions of Germany, one great way to discover new flavors are the "vapers meetings / evenings out" which we have in many regions of Germany. We meet for an evening meal and drinks in a vape-friendly restaurant. People bring their hardware and many liquids, and we let others try, if they wish. That is a lovely way to discover new hardware, new flavors and vendors that we have not tried yet.

It is also a lovely opportunity to bring a new - purchased - liquid like strawberry shortcake, have others try it and love it - AND get an experienced vaper to get interested, mix the exact flavor at home and tell you the recipe at the next meeting
    Last edited by Anjaffm; 10-30-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: addition to topic
    EleanorR, Mr.Mann, patkin and 4 others like this.
    Happy vaper since 4 Nov 2011, after 35 years of smoking
    22 April 2014: Results of Survey by Dr. Farsalinos et al

Ultra Member

when I see a vendor or a juice the looks interesting
    I look at ecf reviews and posts
    I give more weight to a description when the is a continuity in description from person to person
    I also give more weight to a description when someone that posts about it
    has posted similar taste as me previously
    EleanorR and Anjaffm like this.

PV Master of Valinor Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I usually go off other people's recommendations, although I do a lot of DIY liquid too. For me though, the flavours have to be highly concentrated, I find a lot of the budget sites have juices that are way too weak for me.

There's only a couple of sites in the UK that I buy from now, they offer tailor made juices and extra flavour shots - which for me is a must have. I've thrown away more weaker juices than I care to mention, but I've still got at least 50 different flavours to go through
    Anjaffm likes this.
    Cherry red Provari, Reo Grand, Taifun GT, Kayfun v3.1, RM2, KFL, Russian 91's, bagua, Astro, aga t2, Fogger v2, Kraken, ithaka, Aios, YK1/V9/V10 drippers, RSST's, Rockets, x9 Protanks, Evods, Novas, Vamo v2, SVD, KTS+, 2x Vmod minis, Vmod XL, GP Paps Lux, Poldiac, Caravela, Private V2, k100, Chi-You, RG500s, K2. In the post - Tru-stone drip tips.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast