The Really Big RY4 Roundup (long) - Page 541
Page 541 of 556 FirstFirst ... 41441491531537538539540541542543544545551 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,410 of 5553
Like Tree5615Likes

Thread: The Really Big RY4 Roundup (long)

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default Personal Nic Test using KillerJuice RY4

On June 12th, during one of KillerJuice’s weekly Blitz Sales (15ml bottles of eliquid for 99¢, with a maximum order of five bottles from that week’s selection, usually 3-5 juices from KillerJuice’s larger retail line-up), I ordered four bottles of KillerJuice RY4---one each at 6mg, 12mg, 18mg, and 24mg per ml nicotine strength. I mean, c’mon, 60ml of a good custom RY4 that uses natural ingredients for only $7.46 shipped? Despite having enough RY4s in my stash to choke the proverbial horse---more than 160 retail RY4s comprising almost three liters in all, plus another full liter of DIY RY4s from all-in-one premixes or made from scratch---I figured that seven bucks more wouldn’t make much of a difference one way or the other.

In part, I wanted to see to what extent, if any, different liquid nic concentrations might affect the taste of KJ’s retail RY4. Sure, I could do this myself with homemade DIY juices, but there was a certain “objectivity” about doing it with a retail juice.

I felt also that this was an ideal opportunity for me to see where I am regarding nicotine in my own personal vaping journey. When I began vaping in October 2010, my liquids were all 24mg nic. I needed a strong throat hit to make the transition from cigarettes to vaping. About two years ago, I went down to 18mg, and I’ve hovered between 15mg and 18mg ever since. Throat hit is not nearly as important to me as it was initially, so perhaps I could lower my nic intake even further with no loss of satisfaction.

Today I got out the 6ml and 24ml bottles of KillerJuice RY4 that have been steeping for a couple weeks and atty-dripped some of each. The results, while far from “scientific” were noteworthy.

First, my perception was that taste/flavor of the two liquids was essentially identical. No difference that I could discern. I expected the 6mg version to taste a little flat, since that has been my experience with zero nic juices, but it didn't. I wouldn't call it "bright" or "sparkling," but it tasted fine to my palate, and the 24mg version didn't taste any more flavorful.

The difference was in the impact. The 6mg RY4 had a softness accompanied by a mild but surprisingly effective throat hit. I didn't anticipate that the 6mg version would have any perceptible throat hit, since I'm accustomed to vaping at 18mg, but there it was. By contrast, the 24mg RY4 was razor sharp and kicked like a mule, with a massive throat hit. I was a little shocked to discover that the TH was way too much for me. I actively didn’t like it, as it seemed to almost overwhelm the flavor of the juice. That reaction was immediate and sustained. I actually preferred the 6mg version, and not just a little. The 6mg KillerJuice RY4 won by a mile for me, judged on the basis of enjoyment and satisfaction.

I make no bones about being a nicotine junkie. Heck, I’ve been addicted to nicotine for 45 years. Nic is my drug of choice for self-medication to keep my brain and nervous system sufficiently stimulated. Apparently, however, vaping is gradually weaning me off nicotine. Go figure. I think this test---informal and subjective though it is---implies that it’s time for me to reduce nic strength from 18mg to 12mg in the juices I make or buy. 6mg might be adequate, but I think 12mg will be more comfortable for awhile.

As a footnote, I'll re-confirm my opinion that KillerJuice makes a pleasing Custom RY4. No, it’s not spectacular and won’t ever break into the “A” graded group, but it’s a good, solid B to B+.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Bill - Thanks for your evaluation. It seems Killer Juice RY4 has some throat hit independent of nicotine strength. I noted that 18 mg/ml that I received seemed to have more TH than I am accustomed to in juices with that level of nic. It might be that zero nic KJ RY4 might have a little TH. If so, KJ may be on to something...

Oh yes...KJ RY4 plays well with others.
    Verified as Certifiable by classwife

Quote Originally Posted by billherbst View Post
    On June 12th, during one of KillerJuice’s weekly Blitz Sales (15ml bottles of eliquid for 99¢, with a maximum order of five bottles from that week’s selection, usually 3-5 juices from KillerJuice’s larger retail line-up), I ordered four bottles of KillerJuice RY4---one each at 6mg, 12mg, 18mg, and 24mg per ml nicotine strength. I mean, c’mon, 60ml of a good custom RY4 that uses natural ingredients for only $7.46 shipped? Despite having enough RY4s in my stash to choke the proverbial horse---more than 160 retail RY4s comprising almost three liters in all, plus another full liter of DIY RY4s from all-in-one premixes or made from scratch---I figured that seven bucks more wouldn’t make much of a difference one way or the other.

In part, I wanted to see to what extent, if any, different liquid nic concentrations might affect the taste of KJ’s retail RY4. Sure, I could do this myself with homemade DIY juices, but there was a certain “objectivity” about doing it with a retail juice.

I felt also that this was an ideal opportunity for me to see where I am regarding nicotine in my own personal vaping journey. When I began vaping in October 2010, my liquids were all 24mg nic. I needed a strong throat hit to make the transition from cigarettes to vaping. About two years ago, I went down to 18mg, and I’ve hovered between 15mg and 18mg ever since. Throat hit is not nearly as important to me as it was initially, so perhaps I could lower my nic intake even further with no loss of satisfaction.

Today I got out the 6ml and 24ml bottles of KillerJuice RY4 that have been steeping for a couple weeks and atty-dripped some of each. The results, while far from “scientific” were noteworthy.

First, my perception was that taste/flavor of the two liquids was essentially identical. No difference that I could discern. I expected the 6mg version to taste a little flat, since that has been my experience with zero nic juices, but it didn't. I wouldn't call it "bright" or "sparkling," but it tasted fine to my palate, and the 24mg version didn't taste any more flavorful.

The difference was in the impact. The 6mg RY4 had a softness accompanied by a mild but surprisingly effective throat hit. I didn't anticipate that the 6mg version would have any perceptible throat hit, since I'm accustomed to vaping at 18mg, but there it was. By contrast, the 24mg RY4 was razor sharp and kicked like a mule, with a massive throat hit. I was a little shocked to discover that the TH was way too much for me. I actively didn’t like it, as it seemed to almost overwhelm the flavor of the juice. That reaction was immediate and sustained. I actually preferred the 6mg version, and not just a little. The 6mg KillerJuice RY4 won by a mile for me, judged on the basis of enjoyment and satisfaction.

I make no bones about being a nicotine junkie. Heck, I’ve been addicted to nicotine for 45 years. Nic is my drug of choice for self-medication to keep my brain and nervous system sufficiently stimulated. Apparently, however, vaping is gradually weaning me off nicotine. Go figure. I think this test---informal and subjective though it is---implies that it’s time for me to reduce nic strength from 18mg to 12mg in the juices I make or buy. 6mg might be adequate, but I think 12mg will be more comfortable for awhile.

As a footnote, I'll re-confirm my opinion that KillerJuice makes a pleasing Custom RY4. No, it’s not spectacular and won’t ever break into the “A” graded group, but it’s a good, solid B to B+.
    Thanks for posting that info Bill, I was curious how your little experiment would turn out.

Many people have referred to nic as the salt (or spicr) of vape juice, myself included I've called it the salt that tastes like pepper lol. It's a fitting analogy, we seem to adjust what we're used to with nic levels in vape and salt levels in food, and outside our adjusted level tastes off. We can also adjust to new levels with both after getting over the initial hump. And with both, people tend to be happy with where they're at or are trying to lower their levels. I've never heard someone claim they are trying to get more salt in their diet lol.

If I always add a bunch of salt to corn, low salt or no salt corn tastes bland. If I adjust to low salt corn, I'll find I actually like it as much as high salt corn, and my when enough time has passed, my previous high salt recipe will have me say.. too salty!

So is nic as important to the flavor of juice that myself and others claim? Looks like your experience is saying.. maybe a little, but maybe not as much as thought. The impact provided by nic is obvious, not many vapers would be surprised on your results when describing the kick. You noticing no difference in flavor/taste between 6mg and 24mg is a surprise though, and has me questioning what I thought was true.

I've had zero nic before, from free samples, and like you I found it very bland. Maybe the level of nic isn't important to flavor, but having at least some nic is? Maybe there's just a mind connection between throat hit and flavor, so removing the TH breaks that connection, confuses the brain, and results in perceptively less flavor? If that's the case, after adjusting to 0 nic juice it may provide the same flavor as nic juice, just minus the physical kick. Lot's of variables to consider, so I think the theory of nic relating to flavor will remain anecdotal instead of fact for a while.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Lombaowski's Avatar

I reordered some Indigo RY4 Classic and added some of the new NET Gung-Ho for good measure today. Then I saw that Mr E Liquid was having a 15% off sale and decided it was time for a 120ml bottle.

Every time I am trying to decide what RY4 I want I always think to myself, "damn, I would take a Mr E tank right now if I had some more but I just don't want to run low." I don't think this way about any other RY4 and even though Tribeca, Indigo, Mr Vape, ECBlend, and now Volt offer what I consider a superior vape, I just feel Mr E is the top dog out there of the ones I've tried.

120ml for $43 shipped; 36 cents a ml for this stuff seems like a fine buy.

So I had my first cigarette yesterday in more than a year. It was more of a curiosity thing than a necessity, but I came away saying that vaping is just so much better. It didn't taste good when I smoked it, and about 90 minutes later I could still taste it. Terrible. I went back to vaping my trademarked frankenjuice ECBlend RY4/HHV Heavenly Tobacco hybrid and it was so much more satisfying. So basically there is no way I'm going back, I'd rather vape RY4 or NETs or some bland fruit flavor than smoke a cigarette. Find your juice, lock in the nicotine level, get some suitable delivery device and you're all set.

Senior Member Verified Member ry4love's Avatar
    Blog Entries

6 pages into this thread I can feel my pockets slimming. I'm a noob to the vape scene, but ry4 is my muse. So many varieties on 3 of my favorite flavors combined, it reminds me why I play with food for a living. Thanks to all your contributions, you fuel and inform my obsession, lol.

There's something strangle going on with the forum or this thread or even worse my Ipad. Every time I select a review or a vendors link I'm sent to the last page of this thread. I know crazy huh! Im researching a few new vendors so I wanted to check out their reviews but every time I want to read what was written I have to manually go back page by page to find it. Which by the way, I don't mind because I've always run into something else well worth reading but it's kind of starting to drive me crazy. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by PRG4 View Post
    There's something strangle going on with the forum or this thread or even worse my Ipad. Every time I select a review or a vendors link I'm sent to the last page of this thread. I know crazy huh! Im researching a few new vendors so I wanted to check out their reviews but every time I want to read what was written I have to manually go back page by page to find it. Which by the way, I don't mind because I've always run into something else well worth reading but it's kind of starting to drive me crazy. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
    Nope, sorry. All the links work for me exactly as they should.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Same here, links work. PRG, you on a laptop or phone with tapatalk?

pardon the typos, on my phone

I'm on my IPad. And it's doing the same thing today. Oh well, I don't mind a little extra reading. Thanks guys. Oh, I do have one question, one that I never would've thought that would need an answer, what do you guys do with the eliquid that you don't like. I've been going crazy buying eliquid like its going out of style which has translated into a shoe box of juice that just isn't for me. I know this forum has a classified thread but it seems as if it's a pain to become a part of. I really don't want to sell what I have but I would like to trade for something else. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran thehangdude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PRG4 View Post
    I'm on my IPad. And it's doing the same thing today. Oh well, I don't mind a little extra reading. Thanks guys. Oh, I do have one question, one that I never would've thought that would need an answer, what do you guys do with the eliquid that you don't like. I've been going crazy buying eliquid like its going out of style which has translated into a shoe box of juice that just isn't for me. I know this forum has a classified thread but it seems as if it's a pain to become a part of. I really don't want to sell what I have but I would like to trade for something else. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.
    Juice swaps - USA - Please read first post for rules and guidelines
    This is the PIF thread for swapping ejuices. Read the rules.

You are more likely to be killed by an arrogant cop during a minor traffic violation
    than ebola.