Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decadent Vapours: Parma Violet, Habana Reserve, Absinthe, & Diabolo Loco

hxj
    Super Member ECF Veteran

Default Decadent Vapours: Parma Violet, Habana Reserve, Absinthe, & Diabolo Loco

Just got four bottles of Decadent Vapours e-liquids from Wales via Edinburgh via a college friend come back to Boston for a visit, whom I bribed into being my Transatlantic Juice Muleô by offering up a Boston cream pie and cupcakes for her uncleís birthday party last night. Overall, these liquids were well worth the money, the sleep-dep, the painstaking silver icing job, and the two hoursí drive to Hull and back.

All flavors but one (weíll come to that later) came packaged in beautiful frosted green glass 15 ml. bottles with what almost appear to be hand-blown glass droppers in the capsóIíd never seen droppers with a little glass bulb on the end like that before. The labels feature Oscar Wilde alongside the name of the liquid, its formulation and strength, and directions for use and hazards.

All liquids reviewed here were VG-based and zero-nicotine, each tested with a fully-charged blu battery and a newly-cleaned blu atomizer, dripped to prime and loaded into brand new 306a carts with new PTB filling.

Parma Violet

Liquid: its viscosity is about the same as other all-VG formulations, quite thick. One has to wait for each drop to soak into the cart filling or atomizer wick before adding another, adding to the anticipation; itís rather like letting the bubbles in a Guinness rise. Iím only looking at it one drop at a time, but the liquid seems very clear. I assume the name refers more to the candy (which I havenít had in decades) than just the flower, and the liquid smells gorgeous: very violet and sweet, yet not fake. A bit like how I remember the kitchen smelled when my sister dipped violets in sugar water and dried them in the oven when I was a child.

Vapor: the liquid is so thick that itís a bit hard on the draw, but once it gets going, the vapor it produces is smashingly voluminous and thickó at least as thick as ECOpure vapor, which was my previous thickest to date, and seemingly thicker! Perfect for blowing nice, white, rolling, violet-scented vapor rings. The vaporís flavor is subtler than the liquidís scent, not as sweet and certainly not overpowering. I detect a licorice / anise note, which keeps it from tasting too pretty or delicate. The flavor is complex and fine, and it lingers well after the session is over.

Overall: very nice. Iím not sure I could get through a whole cartís worth at once without feeling a bit overwhelmed, and I doubt itíll ever be an all-occasion flavor for me, but itís a fine vapor to relax and play with. Good to enjoy while reading on a lazy Sunday. Goes well with Wodehouse.

Habana Reserve

Liquid: not quite as thick as Parma Violet, and a gentle amber color drop-by-drop. Since this is supposed to be a tobacco flavor, I was very surprised that it smells so strongly perfumish, almost medicinal in its way, though not unpleasant. Weirdly, I thought I detected a ripe grape note, and tannin undertones, and then realized that the liquid smells to me rather like red wine! (My wife doesnít agree, however, and detects smoky tones, which Iím not getting at all. Just goes to show how subjective this sort of thing can be.)

Vapor: very impressive vapor production, even though the liquid is thinnerónot quite as solid as the Parma Violet, but actually pretty close, and on par with ECOpure, easily. The flavor still holds hints of red wine for me, but not as strongly as with the odor of the liquid. Iím not really tasting the tobacco, here, but Iím getting earthy intimations of undergrowth, of thick foliage and moss. It actually reminds me a bit of a solid bubble bath I loved, LUSHís Green Day, which has since been discontinued, but had cedarwood and sage extracts and always reminded me of dark, dense forests.

Overall: excellent for what it is, just not what it purports to be. There really is something decadent about this, as it tastes to me like sipping red wine while soaking in a favorite bubble bath. While Habana Reserve is not the holy grail tobacco flavor I was hoping for, itís very, very good, and Iím happy to have found it.

Absinthe

Liquid: the thickest and stickiest of the lotóglobules practically cling to the dropper glassówith a pale, cloudy greenish-blue tint. The odor is rather uncomplicated: itís licorice, or anise, and little more, as far as I can tell. Thereís a little something underneath it all, but Iím hard-pressed to place it; maybe a bit of a citrus zing? Something clean, at any rate, and whatever it is, itís very subtle. This liquid is the thickest Iíve seen anywhere, and it wicks very slowly, so this is likely destined to be enjoyed onlyóand appropriatelyóin considered pulls between moderate contemplative pauses.

Vapor: nice, thick clouds of clean licorice vapor, with a fresh, sweet finish, not bitter in the slightest, though it sometimes leaves a bit of a tingle in the mouth. Truly excellent vapor production, which is only to be expected from such a thick VG-based liquid. Iíve never had real absinthe, so I canít tell you how much this may or may not taste like it, but itís certainly pleasant. Strangely, I detect no clue that this is meant to emulate a spirit; if Iíd tried this without knowing what it was, Iíd have guessed simply ďlicoriceĒ or ďstar anise.Ē (If anything, itís the Habana Reserve, an alleged tobacco flavor, that tastes like an alcoholic beverage.) Iím considering cutting it a bit with a little vodka, but at the same time, it seems fine as is; why mess with it?

Overall: for me, Absinthe probably makes the weakest impression of the four, flavor-wise, because itís comparatively mild and pedestrianóit is nice, however, and a French inhale brings out the citrusy note and makes it a bit more interesting. Since the flavor isnít overbearing and the vapor production really is outstanding, I could easily stick with Absinthe all day long and be quite happy, but Iím not yet sure itís going to be as artistically inspiring as its namesake... unless I look for patterns in the clouds of vapor. Donít get me wrong, though; Iím enjoying the hell out of it.

Diabolo Loco

A note before we start: this one is odd man out, as itís apparently not even available yet, so youíll have to consider this a review of the beta. As such, it came in an unlabeled opaque silver glass bottle with a white dropper cap. Diabolo Loco is made with the Naga Jolokia pepper, by far (as determined by the Scoville scale) the hottest pepper on this planet, also known as the Ghost Pepper and the King Cobra Chile. I was warned not to try this while driving, and that appears to have been excellent advice.

Liquid: The liquid is very thick and a cloudy yellow-orange, with streaks of deep, oily, spicy orange running through itóI suspect this is what Atomizer Hell looks like, but Iím game. (Atomizers are cheap.) It smells sharp, tangy, pungent, a bit vinegary... and, weirdly, even the odor has a bit of a bite to it, a threat of burn in the back of the throat. I thought I must be imagining this, but I tried it several times: sniff the open bottle, wait, feel the burn. Itís rather unnerving, actually.

Vapor: congratulations to Decadent Vapours for making the only liquid Iíve ever tried that actually made me cough involuntarily after the first tentative puff! I canít really rate vapor production, because I canít pull long enough at it to see how much itíll make, but it seems reasonably good. Flavor, too, is tough to rate, because this is more about experience than flavor; the vapor coats oneís tongue, depositing a pleasant sort of friendly heat, but heaven help you if you fail to keep the vapor localized to your mouthówhen some eventually slips by into your nose, it will light up your delicate membranes like a wasabi nasal spray. Inhale even the slightest bit and youíll find that the term ďthroat hitĒ needs to be replaced with the phrase ďchest punch.Ē And yet itís a good punch. I feel it just behind my breastbone, even if I barely inhale. I just now tried a teensy French inhale; letís just say that the experience was... interesting. Once I stopped coughing, I realized that the aftertaste is a bit like the sauce from ultra-hot Buffalo chicken wings. Also, please note that this is one instance in which second-hand vapor is demonstrably hazardous: an experimental sniff of my own exhaled vapor caused immediate coughing and a deep, lingering chest burn.

Overall: unless youíre a heat freak, donít even think about it; if, however, you go to Indian restaurants and order your curries ďlaugh-at-the-white-guy hot,Ē then this is the novelty liquid for you. This is zero-nic liquid Iím reviewing, and if I had to rate throat hit on a scale of 1 to 10, this would get a 23. And as an added bonus, every order comes with an actual dried Ghost Pepper, so you can see what died that your liquid could live... to kill.

Conclusion

I will definitely be ordering more Decadent Vapours in the future. Liquids consisting of single off-the-shelf fakey flavorings dumped into some glycerine or propylene glycol hold little attraction for me; after the first few puffs, the novelty of ďyup, tastes like a watermelon Jolly RancherĒ wears off, and itís been-there-done-that. All of these are more complex concoctions, deeper mixtures of interesting flavors that will likely keep me interested for a good long while.

2. Advertisement
    Senior Member ECF Veteran Annastasia's Avatar

Good review! I've been wanting to try Decadent Vapours for a while now. You've sold me on the absinthe flavor for sure, and they all sound like they'd be worth the money and the wait on shipping. Thanks!

4. Advertisement
    PV Master Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran

Are they back selling again? I thought they were on hiatus, working on some big order.

hxj
    Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kristin View Post
    Are they back selling again? I thought they were on hiatus, working on some big order.
    Still on hiatus, it seems. I got my order in a while back, and had them ship to Scotland so my friend could carry it back here when she traveled. Saved some on the shipping, though it did mean I had to wait a few extra weeks.

Super Member ECF Veteran KonaNeil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hxj View Post
    Diabolo Loco....

Overall: unless youíre a heat freak, donít even think about it; if, however, you go to Indian restaurants and order your curries ďlaugh-at-the-white-guy hot,Ē then this is the novelty liquid for you. This is zero-nic liquid Iím reviewing, and if I had to rate throat hit on a scale of 1 to 10, this would get a 23....
    May I suggest mixing a very small amount in with a flavor you like simply for the throat hit? It might work well for this.

hxj
    Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by KonaNeil View Post
    May I suggest mixing a very small amount in with a flavor you like simply for the throat hit? It might work well for this.
    Yup, I've already got plans to add it to Johnson Creek's Chocolate Truffle... instant Xocolatl! Ought to be interesting.

[EDIT: okay, I just mixed up a quick test batch of 23 drops of JC original, 11 drops of ECOpure Gold (for vapor), and ONE DROP of the Diabolo Loco. I just inhaled this as normal, and my trachea is ON FIRE. I can literally feel it in BOTH EARS. So if anyone wants to use this just to add throat hit, start with something like 1:50 at the most.]
    Last edited by hxj; 09-21-2009 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Additional info

Super Member ECF Veteran KonaNeil's Avatar

Yup, I've already got plans to add it to Johnson Creek's Chocolate Truffle... instant Xocolatl! Ought to be interesting.
    I hope you'll post your findings. It could put to rest a quest many have had.

Oh! Forgot to thank you for the excellent reviews. While I'm thankful for any honest input, I'm really sick of sitting through ten minute video reviews. Watching someone vape is as interesting as watching paint dry. Maybe like that Canadian TV news network, if the reviewers were naked. Nah... it would still be boring

hxj
    Super Member ECF Veteran

Okay, I just mixed up a quick test batch of 23 drops of JC original, 11 drops of ECOpure Gold (for vapor), and ONE DROP of the Diabolo Loco. I just inhaled this as normal, and my trachea is ON FIRE. I can literally feel it in BOTH EARS. So if anyone wants to use this just to add throat hit, start with something like 1:50 at the most.
    Update. This is weird.

So I've been vaping the mix described above (I have labeled the cart JC Gold Bomb), and the hit is wildly unpredictable.

That first pull was very, very harsh, as I said. Yes, the insides of my ears were actually feeling it. But since then, it's usually pretty much just a JC Original taste with a mild tingle in the mouth. Nothing much at all.

And yet, every once in a while, maybe with one out of every twenty pulls, it's like I get sucker-punched in the trachea, and I'm coughing and burning and it's awesome but also confusing.

Have I invented Russian Roulette e-liquid?

I've definitely found that if I exhale it hard, it causes a big throat hit and cough reflex as it leaves. Interesting. Don't know what triggers the random throat-punch inhale, though.

Super Member ECF Veteran

awesome review! sounds like that one bottle of Diablo may be enough for the whole country!!
    I like spicy, but not sure I want lava burns in my lungs!!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Hi hxj, Great review..excellent descriptive writing..Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast