Thread: Handkerchief Test

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Default Handkerchief Test

With all the talk about how much nic we are getting by vaping, I decided to try the old hankerchief test (they used to use it in the old anti-smoking ads) where you inhale a nice amount, then blow it out through a white hankerchief. With analogs you end up with a nice dark brown spot (which they used to say, "That is what ends up in your lungs after each draw").

So I tried it with my analog and it does indeed leave a nice dark brown spot. I then tried it with my 801 and a nice big draw, and not a mark at all. I even tried it again in the same spot and still no mark.

I would be intereted in other's tests, for those with Prodigys, Screwdrivers, Janty Sticks, you know, the real vapor producers, to see if more vapor would leave a stain.

CoderGuy

2. Advertisement
    Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

No stain.... just wet. Redbull might as it has a bit more coloring in it.

4. Advertisement

Enough Said!

Vaping may not be good - but it certainly aint as bad as smoking.

Rusty

Full Member ECF Veteran

I think the what you're seeing ( or rather NOT seeing) is the tar that you find in analogs but is missing from e-cigs.

Never thought of doing this myself but I do remember seeing it done in old anti-smoking ads.

Not very scientific but an eye opener none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston Girl View Post
    I think the what you're seeing ( or rather NOT seeing) is the tar that you find in analogs but is missing from e-cigs.

Never thought of doing this myself but I do remember seeing it done in old anti-smoking ads.

Not very scientific but an eye opener none the less.

Definitely and eye opener. I always thought that brown stuff all over my walls was nicotine, maybe not? Maybe tar? Which means I guess no more discoloration of walls, electronics, basically anything light, due to vaping (whoo hoo!)

CG

Super Member ECF Veteran

I have something called a Sharp PlasmaCluster in each room in my home. Basically its a reactive air filtration system that senses the purity of the air and reacts in kind. Ok no big deal BUT this thing is so sensitive that if you shower three rooms over, the indicator turns red and it kicks into high gear. Now if I smoke in the same room this thing turns red and takes some time to transition to yellow and back to green. Heck if the cat passes gas it picks that up within a minute across the room.

That being said, it doesn't react AT ALL when I vape. I walked over to it and blew slowly directly into the front of the unit by the sensor, didn't even turn yellow til the end of the exhale and I think that had more to do with coffee breath than the ecig.

Did I mention, its so sensitive it tells me I need a bath when I come in from gardening?...lol
    Last edited by DaBrat; 07-08-2009 at 01:05 AM.

ECF Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CoderGuy View Post
    With all the talk about how much nic we are getting by vaping, I decided to try the old hankerchief test (they used to use it in the old anti-smoking ads) where you inhale a nice amount, then blow it out through a white hankerchief. With analogs you end up with a nice dark brown spot (which they used to say, "That is what ends up in your lungs after each draw").

So I tried it with my analog and it does indeed leave a nice dark brown spot. I then tried it with my 801 and a nice big draw, and not a mark at all. I even tried it again in the same spot and still no mark.

I would be intereted in other's tests, for those with Prodigys, Screwdrivers, Janty Sticks, you know, the real vapor producers, to see if more vapor would leave a stain.

CoderGuy
    Guy--try the Glass Test. Take a drinking glass and exhale an analog out into it. Smoke the hole analog. Take a look at it and you will see the film build up. Now take your e-cig and vape into another clean on. What are you going to find? Not much---not much of anything. I have not had to clean my computer screen or the inside of my auto windsheild of that nasty film ever due to vaping---------Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Vaporer View Post
    Guy--try the Glass Test. Take a drinking glass and exhale an analog out into it. Smoke the hole analog. Take a look at it and you will see the film build up. Now take your e-cig and vape into another clean on. What are you going to find? Not much---not much of anything. I have not had to clean my computer screen or the inside of my auto windsheild of that nasty film ever due to vaping---------Sun
    It really is amazing how "clean" vaping really is. I love vaping all morning and in my car on the way to work and getting to work and having someone say, "Still not smoking, cool". I love it!

CoderGuy

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Forum member bigjim made a video on forum about this. I have the GG and there is nothing on papertowel when vaping. Nothing using the 6v magnum either.

Quote Originally Posted by rejoice View Post
    Forum member bigjim made a video on forum about this. I have the GG and there is nothing on papertowel when vaping. Nothing using the 6v magnum either.
    Here's a link to the video rejoice is talking about: An experiment - Toxins from an Electronic Cigarettes vs a Real Cigarette - FDA "Approved" It's eye-opening to see it on camera. I tried it myself, too, and had the same results.