Thread: Newbie: eJuice changing color

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Newbie: eJuice changing color

I have this awesome banana pudding juice that is light yellow. After vaping for a day, it has turned a dark brown. Should i be concerned?

pic is of the clearomizer with the newer brighter yellow juice on top, browner juice on bottom

~JJ~
    vaper since 8/4/2012 & loving it!

Vaping Queen ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Did you leave it somewhere in the heat or light? That's normally what causes nicotine to change color like that. It's fine, it's just the normal properties of nicotine.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Looks normal to me. Juice will generally get darker with age. Also it comes mainly from the wick, as it heats it gets a dark area in the coil, as new juice comes in it bleeds out into the rest of the juice and turns it darker. As long as it doesn't taste burnt, just add more juice.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

awesome yeah it's probably from the wick I guess - ive been speed vaping at work because i can't openly vape there

Don't use clearomizers myself, but I have noticed that my juices change color in their bottles in the cupboard as they steep/age & was wondering about this myself, so thanks for asking!

Super Member ECF Veteran VapApe's Avatar

Yes juice does change color nothing to worry about.
    Some juices even taste better after they age a bit.

I will vape no juice before its time. Its time!
    I feel a bout of Civil disobedience coming on

ECF Veteran

eLiquid will get darker over time if left in the bottle. Especially if your vendor mixes it as you order it.

However, that's not what I think is happening here. I've noticed with the top coil devices I've used (Vision Vivi Nova, Stardust) that the wicks seem to take smaller (lighter weight) particles out of your liquid easier than the darker (heavier) particles. When I refill my Vivi Nova with the same juice after vaping on it until it's low the new juice coming in is noticeably lighter in color. Also, the two different colors tend to not mix and blend but I get layers. I'm pretty sure it's normal.

In fact. Steeljan mentions this in one of her videos:

Go to about 6:40 and you'll see her mention it.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJJames View Post
    I have this awesome banana pudding juice that is light yellow. After vaping for a day, it has turned a dark brown. Should i be concerned?
    Our e-juices do that in anything with top wicks. The darker the juice, the darker it gets, the wick is stealing the lighter parts of the juice and leaving more dark stuff behind.

We found that Phoenix CE3's don't do that. And they leak (at our house) less than the type you are showing. But so far, nothing is perfect. The clearos and the Vivi steal the light juice, leaving darker and darker behind. The Phoenix's leak less and don't change the juice color, but you have to trim the wicks if your juice has any significant thickness or you get occasional burnt tastes unless we keep switching between devices so that the juice has like 3 minutes to re-wick.

So I suspect a little of your banana or whatever is in there is going un-vaped.

We had ONE juice that had so much sugar in it that it started carmelizing the sugar and clouded/melted the inside of the clearo,
    AND it had something else that ate the clearo walls, which also does not happen with polypropylene devices like CE3's. (soft, cloudy, unlike the hard poly carbonate in many clearos.)

But as log as we don't vape that particular juice, the hard polycarbonate seems fine. (We threw away *that* clearo and its juice!)
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory