Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Vaping and Exercise

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Vaping and Exercise

So I just decided to go for a run for the first time in almost a year, and since that time I've gained about ten pounds. I am not in the best shape of my life (6'2" 220 lbs.) and I realize that, but when I went for the run after about 5 minutes I was panting heavily and after the 15 minute run it took me quite a while longer to catch my breath while panting very heavily. Even when I was out of shape at other times in my life and smoked I don't remember the breathing being such a problem for me. I have no allergies to any of the ingredients in any of the juice I vape and I am a moderate vaper (about 3-5 mls a day in a carto tank).

Does anyone here exercise regularly and vape daily?

So is vaping any better for my lungs when it comes to exercise?
    Mr.Mann likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

How long has it been since you had your last cig?

Since it's been about a year since you last ran, you can lose a lot of stamina. Weather could be a factor. Lots of things. Try training like the couch to 5K programs to build your stamina up over the next 6 weeks.

Last year at this time, I was running 5K's and still smoking 3 packs a day. Then I quit running in January. I couldn't run a 5K today if my life depended on it. I'm just getting ready to start training again. I'm hoping it's even easier on me since I'm not using the cigs.

Blog Entries

Id be interested to hear what people say about this.

When I was last vaping, I found I could breath easier when moving alot. But I was vaping much less than 3-5mls a day.

Being unfit has a similar effect on cardio exercise though...

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

you'll probably have more luck in the health forums... but if you search in google

site:www.e-cigarette-forum.com exercise running

you'll see there's mixed results in older threads. some can exercise and run much further than whrn they were smoking cigarettes, and others too are complaining about it seems like running is much harder on the lungs now. VG seems to be a suspected culprit..but no one really knows.

id love to hear more experiences from everyone too

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I get tennis lessons on Tuesday night and Saturday afternoon, started getting them when smoking. At first there was absolutely no stamina, but it started getting better as I had more lessons. Missed 4 (2 weeks) lessons due due to weather and noticed the 1st one back was like I had started over.

Switched to vaping on a Saturday night, 8 cigs on Sunday, last cig that evening. The tennis lesson on Tuesday was noticeably better, less huffing and lasting longer after 2 days of not smoking.

Not sure about my juice ratios.

BE: 4/13; lt 2, vamo, telescope, bolt, ego vv, vivi 3.5ml, vivi 2.5ml, ce4, ce5, artemas, ego 5ml cc

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I feel like I get less winded now then when I used to smoke.
    ​RISE FROM THE ASHES

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenho21 View Post
    So I just decided to go for a run for the first time in almost a year, and since that time I've gained about ten pounds. I am not in the best shape of my life (6'2" 220 lbs.) and I realize that, but when I went for the run after about 5 minutes I was panting heavily and after the 15 minute run it took me quite a while longer to catch my breath while panting very heavily. Even when I was out of shape at other times in my life and smoked I don't remember the breathing being such a problem for me. I have no allergies to any of the ingredients in any of the juice I vape and I am a moderate vaper (about 3-5 mls a day in a carto tank).

Does anyone here exercise regularly and vape daily?

So is vaping any better for my lungs when it comes to exercise?
    Yup give it a couple weeks and your stamina should improve. Provided you keep jogging 2-3 times a week, of course. Sometimes when I lift weights, I vape in between my workout sets (not that I recommend it). When I used to smoke cigarettes, there was no way in hell I could smoke a cigarette and workout at the same time.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Nick Basham's Avatar

It will be good if/when studies come about the effect of vaping on the lungs.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I quit smoking and started vaping over two years ago, I run about 9 to 12 miles a week, sometimes even more. I could not do this when I used to smoke. You need to gradually build up your level of exercise, it takes time if you have been inactive for a while. You should, however, visit your doctor before you get into any strenuous workout to get his approval and guidance. There are so many benefits to being active, not only weight loss, your energy level increases greatly, I highly recommend it. By the way, I use to smoke a pack a day for 32 years, I normally vape about 3 to 5 mls per day of PG/VG mixtures. I hear it takes about 7 years to get your lungs cleared from smoking, in my case, I am amazed I have been able to attain this goal.
    Mr.Mann and Nick Basham like this.

PIF Forum Moderator Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I do work out, though because of a knee issue (reconstructive surgery), running is out the question for me. I have found that if you are going to work out/run in the morning, just don't vape prior to exercise. Or whenever you exercise, just don't vape for about an hour prior. I can't speak to whether or not anything is going on in your lungs per se, but I know that if I do get winded, it doesn't feel like it did before when I felt like my chest was full of sand.

p.s. Just keep at it, your conditioning will improve.

Too many MCs, not enough mics!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast