Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help? Can I use Multimeter test on e-cig battery?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MickiO View Post
    Yep! that's the one. My husband got a reading on the manual switich by pressing the switch, but no matter what we try on the auto batt. it reads zero's. Do I gotta blow through to activate it, lol. idk.
    Yes you do. =)

Super Member ECF Veteran
    In the Gorgeous Rocky Mountains of Beautiful COLORADO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richie G View Post
    This is the meter, right?

29-Range Digital Multimeter - RadioShack.com

The pic of the face is so small I can't make out the writing. Are there multiple ranges within the VDC settings? You may be set-up for less than 3.7 volts...

Hey Richie! We got it, THANKyou guys sooo much, I are an expert. thanks to you!!!

We have to remove the ends of the batt. and blow through it, lol

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MickiO View Post
    Hey Richie! We got it, THANKyou guys sooo much, I are an expert. thanks to you!!!

We have to remove the ends of the batt. and blow through it, lol
    Expert comes a little later, dear. lol

You have learned how to measure battery voltage though -- and BEFORE you achieved senior status, as planned!

In the future we will learn how to measure resistance, as in, testing the atomizer. After all, it is a MULTI-meter, not just a battery tester. =)

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Crankyfuzz's Avatar

Hubby had one of these in his toolbox ....now that I know what its actually for I just tried it out hmmmm I learned something today.

MickiO,

I think it is fantastic that you are learning to/ -and- using a multimeter to perform the MANDATORY checks to your batteries, now you need to educate yourself on a few key points.

If you EVER slip, or mistakenly touch the leads (bare metal part of the wires) together while in the process of measuring the voltage you will cause what is called a "short", this is pretty easy to recognise because it will produce a "spark" (and likely blemish the chrome on the lead ends). If this happens, (and please don't fool yourself and think "oh, that was just a little one") you seriously need to consider retiring that battery.
    The second point is about MINIMUM voltage reading. These batteries have a requirement of a minimum voltage that is NEVER to go below 3.3 volts.
    If either of these 2 events occur, it is standard practice to remove the offending battery from service. That means DO NOT put the battery back in a charger, or use it for vaping.

If your husband is handy enough to have a multimeter, he should be able to craft an insulator out of a straw or a chunk of a plastic pen body or something similair, that you can slip into the brass end of your batteries when testing them that will isolate the center terminal from the threaded part, so that you can avoid an inadvertant "short" at all times.

I'm taking the time to explain this because it is VERY important.
    I find it unconscionable that this specific information is not supplied by the manufacturers, and prominently displayed for ALL buyers of E-cig equipment to see and adhere to.
    You are doing the smart thing by learning more about your batteries and testing them. It is a safety issue.

I apologize for the long winded warnings , but if my efforts help even a single person to stay safe and avoid a possible injury and/or property damage, it is well worth the time.

If you doubt the gravity that is attributed to this issue, search on "lithium ion battery safety".

These points that I have outlined are not the only aspects of owning and using these batteries, but these two are essential.

PV Master ECF Veteran Jim Davis's Avatar

MickiO;
    A sound activated battery will activate by blowing on it, but if it's a vacuum activated batt, you'll have problems. It's hard to keep the probes on the batt, and suck on it at the same time.

ECF Veteran

I'm still trying to figure that one out. I don't even think anyone I know would volunteer for helping, LOL

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Crankyfuzz's Avatar

I could see that conversation.....do you mind sucking on this while I test my battery....thanks
    Do not compare me to that cat I made grumpy cool 20 years ago

PV Master ECF Veteran Jim Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richie G View Post
    Expert comes a little later, dear. lol

You have learned how to measure battery voltage though -- and BEFORE you achieved senior status, as planned!

In the future we will learn how to measure resistance, as in, testing the atomizer. After all, it is a MULTI-meter, not just a battery tester. =)
    Good job Richie

Excellent troubleshooting, and another happy camper. We need more like you in this Forum.

Cheers;
    jd

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by olderthandirt View Post
    Are you 'activating' the battery after the probes are connected?

Please excuse me if that was too obvious...
    No cookies for me Jim ?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Home of The First and Best WTA . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . It's Not Just About Unflavored Anymore!. . . . . . . . . . .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast