Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ohm difference

Senior Member Verified Member bingo6104's Avatar

Default Ohm difference

What about ohms ? Can someone explain the difference in the ohms in coils. Like why the difference and I guess that will help me what to get for my pro tank. Also what is dry burn ?

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

Super Member ECF Veteran

Ohms are the resistance on the coil, higher number, higher resistance. It's all a matter of preference, of course, but I think the general consensus is the lower the resistance is, the better.

Dry burning is when you charge up the coil while exposed to burn off any excess gunk built up on the coil.

Senior Member Verified Member

up the voltage or drop the ohms is there a differance?
    changing ohms will cause the juice to be cooler or hotter and can effect the amount of vapor

A 2 Ohm coil at 4.4 Volts will produce 2.2 Amps and 9.68 Watts. A 1 Ohm coil at 4.4 Volts will produce 4.4 Amps and 19.36 Watts. The more current(Amps) being used will drain your battery faster. The more Power(Watts) being used will create more vapor.
    Heden Aklowd and BostonJim like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suspectK View Post
    A 2 Ohm coil at 4.4 Volts will produce 2.2 Amps and 9.68 Watts. A 1 Ohm coil at 4.4 Volts will produce 4.4 Amps and 19.36 Watts. The more current(Amps) being used will drain your battery faster. The more Power(Watts) being used will create more vapor.
    Thats a great simple answer, what a lot of people wanted to know.

So for example, if I had a tank with 2.0 ohm coil and my sweet spot, (prime vape) is at 4.0 volts. (I have a simple VV device)

If I get a 1.8 coil do I turn the volts down to get the same vape?

And if I get a 2.2 ohm I turn the volts up?

I was hoping to get a simple answer, sorry but I'm just too tired after work to take an advanced electrical course to fully grasp OHM's law. So with those two questions, can I get a plain answer, or do I need to go back to school? I'll understand if its not possible just to get a yes or no to these.
    The Ocelot likes this.
    I will NOT be bullied by the antismoking brigade anymore

Senior Member Verified Member bingo6104's Avatar

Cool,thanks for the explanation. I'll order some 1.8 and give them a try for my evic I just ordered.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by BostonJim View Post
    So for example, if I had a tank with 2.0 ohm coil and my sweet spot, (prime vape) is at 4.0 volts. (I have a simple VV device)

I was hoping to get a simple answer, sorry but I'm just too tired after work to take an advanced electrical course to fully grasp OHM's law. So with those two questions, can I get a plain answer, or do I need to go back to school? I'll understand if its not possible just to get a yes or no to these.
    your sweet spot is at 8 watts.

you would turn it down to 3.8 (actual number is 3.79, but i dont think you can dial it that precicely.)

you would turn it up to 4.2 (again, actual number is 4.19)

in the morning look up ohms law and double check my numbers, then use random numbers.
    The Ocelot and Heden Aklowd like this.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by bingo6104 View Post
    Cool,thanks for the explanation. I'll order some 1.8 and give them a try for my evic I just ordered.

with your evic, hold the scroll wheel (dial? i think of it as a wheel..) to the left to change the display of puff counter/remaining on battery - time/date - volts / ohms. hold it to the right to change between Varible Voltage - Variable watt (better as it adjusts volts finer that you can in VV mode) - RVV (use computer to set changing voltage while firing, such as start high to warm the coil then drop to your sweet spot, or low and end with a warmer vape) - RVW (same thing but watts)

i love my evic. i use 6.0-8w depending on juice.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonJim View Post
    Thats a great simple answer, what a lot of people wanted to know.

Yes, that is what I do, OHMS law and I are not on friendly terms, here is a safe vaping chart that might be helpful:

http://www.ecigadvanced.com/communit...2/07/power.jpg

What I normally do is add 2 volts, so if my coil is 2.4 ohms, I set my volts at 4.4 and if my coil is 1.8 ohms then I set the volts to 3.8.
    This pretty much gives me the vape I like, sometime I go up a little or down a little , the chart will tell you what is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo6104 View Post
    What about ohms ? Can someone explain the difference in the ohms in coils. Like why the difference and I guess that will help me what to get for my pro tank. Also what is dry burn ?

Very cool, someone is asking questions about what I specialize in. I'm a computer engineer, but majored in Electrical Engineering before I changed over...

Anyway, like the previous post, ohms is resistance, meaning the higher the ohm rating, the less electricity goes through. So putting all this in simple terms...the lower the ohms, the more electricity flows, the hotter the burn (per say). Higher ohms just means there is more resistance, less electricity flow, lower burn in the coil.

I find that I like the lower ohm coils because I want it to burn faster/hotter. One thing though with lower ohms. Because more electricity is flowing through the coil, your batteries will last for a shorter time. So the higher the ohm, the more resistance, less electric flow, you use less of the battery.

Hope this helps...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast