Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree340Likes

Thread: Dr. OZ is saying E-Cigs safe....will air today

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I saw the interview this morning and, for what it's worth, it was generally positive. No link to video on myfoxatlanta.com at the moment. He stated that he could see the benefits for people who are already smokers. Then echoed what they aired last Friday: concern about children having easy access, greater numbers reporting use, and potential to be a gateway to real cigarettes. He very carefully neither endorsed or condemned.

On the kids thing, I agree. Call me old fashioned or whatever, vaping products should not be sold to under 21 just like tobacco. It's a less bad habit to pick up, certainly not something to encourage young people to get started on. I would stop short of calling vaping a gateway to smoking. Get someone hooked on good nicotine and tobacco is much more readily available. Although access to over the counter vape supplies has really taken off recently.

After talking about vaping, he went on to promote this week's upcoming episode where he dresses like a woman and goes shoe shopping. Brilliant.
    Last edited by RedForeman; 09-09-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: fixed tv website url

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I thought you had to be 18 to buy smokes? Ha, in my day you did and I'm 35.

I learned everything I needed to know in life walking the streets of Compton.

PV Master Supporting Member AgentAnia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Small thread hijack.. "Wizard labs restocked a few minutes ago" ..........

Ok... I return you to our regular programing......
    Thank you! THANK YOU! Yeeeehah!

"Since we don't know the long-term negative impacts of unchecked prohibitionists, the prudent move should be to ban prohibitionists until further evidence proving their safety and efficacy has been published." (Steve K's Vaping World)

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Butters78 View Post
    I thought you had to be 18 to buy smokes? Ha, in my day you did and I'm 35.
    Could be. When I bought my early packs, nobody checked ID for smokes regardless of what the law was. So I never kept up with it to tell the truth.

I'm not saying that laws will prevent minors from getting them. It's not like it's really been 100% with alcohol, synthetic controlled substances, hookah bars, and the like. But it does discourage and give law enforcement a tool to use against irresponsible vendors. The responsible ones already are careful to screen buyers, if even for appearance sake, and tend not to market directly to children.
    Butters78 and Thunderball like this.

Anything positive from the "media" is going to help our cause.
    Even if it comes from this hack..........quack.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdol View Post
    Anything positive from the "media" is going to help our cause.
    Even if it comes from this hack..........quack.
    Off topic, looking at your AVI..............
    Dude you're old lol
    I couldn't resist
    mattiem and Holdol like this.

I've said this before and although it probably won't be a popular opinion around here, I believe in it firmly. I really don't think we're going to see an appreciable number of kids taking up vaping because the "cool factor" just isn't there. Despite the best efforts of that guy in the Blu commercial, puffing on an e-cig just doesn't look very badass. Cigalikes look like toys and bigger, better PVs look like marital aids or somethin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmelda View Post
    I'm glad about this. But I detest Dr. Oz. He will promote any whack-a-doodle thing that comes his way. Whether what he says is actually science based is completely a coincidental occurrence. If he does say e-cigs are okay, it will be a mark in their favor, but only because so many people think he actually has a clue what he's talking about.

Sorry, I'm very hard on Dr. Oz, but he perpetuates pseudoscience. Drives me crazy.
    This is what I was thinking. I don't watch Dr. Oz, but it's hard to miss the ten bajillion commercials a week about him. And he changes his mind CONSTANTLY. Constantly. He's just a talking ad for whatever's cool at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that he's about to say something positive about vaping, but he might just say the direct opposite a month from now. At which time the masses will turn on a dime to follow that "new, updated" advice.

So...not to be a downer, but...this may be a temporary "win" if it's a win at all.

As I said, I am glad something positive may be said about vaping, it can't hurt, I just wouldn't hang my star on Dr. Oz to get the positive view of vaping momentum going.
    Spazmelda and Butters78 like this.

ECF Veteran

Even the PBS stations syndicated the kid story about vape use doubling. They portrayed it as though it's a threat to young ppl. Then, almost under-the-breath, state that interest in young ppl toward smoking is at a historical low, and the doubling was from %1 to 2%. Same as %1 Milk containing 1/2 the fat as Skim Milk, but calories aren't discussed. Nevermind mentioning that the new 1% would have started smoking but chose the healthier alternative. So even "public" media isn't able to tell the story with a tone of honesty. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapo Marx View Post
    I've said this before and although it probably won't be a popular opinion around here, I believe in it firmly. I really don't think we're going to see an appreciable number of kids taking up vaping because the "cool factor" just isn't there. Despite the best efforts of that guy in the Blu commercial, puffing on an e-cig just doesn't look very badass. Cigalikes look like toys and bigger, better PVs look like marital aids or somethin'.
    I beg to differ with you on that, its a fine line.
    PV's look like marital aids......................lmao ALERT ALERT FREAK FREAK ALERT!!!!!
    I so couldn not resist

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast