Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Things sure have changed 'round here...

Default Things sure have changed 'round here...

I saw this pic on Facebook. Look at all those cigarettes at every single checkout lane!

2013-10-17 21.25.52.jpg
    Butters78, Ryedan, bluecat and 3 others like this.

I smelll like a cupcake!

Ha, yup. That looks like maybe the late 60s? (Not sure...do you know?)

In the 70s there were cigs everywhere...and I do mean EVERYwhere. Doctors smoked in their offices, teachers smoked in the teacher's lounge and our science teachers smoked in the little mini-storage room that separated each of the lab rooms. My mom was present at every school concert in the back with her cig, among all the other moms with their cigs...she always felt put out when she couldn't smoke in clothing stores at the mall because of the fire hazard, she had to actually leave the store and smoke right outside it in the main part of the mall.

People smoked while pumping their own gas, they puffed away walking the grocery store aisles. Parents smoked in the school parking lot, they weren't allowed to bring their cigs into the school, now THAT would have been unheard of, LOL. Although of course the fact always annoyed all the parents...I remember people going from smoking anywhere in the movie theater, to smoking "just in the back three rows," and I remember the strange irony and uselessness of "smoking sections" at the back of an airplane, LOL...yeah, huge help there...

I remember the first restaurants to offer "smoking" and "non-smoking" sections, to separate those was considered amazingly forward-thinking and fashionable.

I can't tell you how many times as a child I had a hole burned into some part of me as I went to hug an adult...and of course the adult telling me I "should have watched out." I must have a hundred pictures of our parents hugging us with lit cigs half an inch from our hair. I remember hoping Daddy wouldn't fall asleep without putting out the cig he had lit as a "last smoke of the evening" in bed.

And finally, yes, rows and rows of cigs for the grabbing at every counter of countless stores.

Those were the days...yikes...

ETA: Oh, and I remember buying cigs for my mother when I was like 8 and the nice man saying it was okay because they were for my mother. She didn't have her makeup on and she felt all a mess or whatever so she sent me along out on my bike across town for them with a couple quarters in my pocket to pay for them plus a quarter to buy myself a treat...this probably happened two or three times.
    Last edited by CaliforniaGirl; 10-18-2013 at 04:18 AM.
    Burnie, pianoguy, gotch23 and 19 others like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

That's before my time. I'm 35. I remember my mom getting stamps from the grocery store and filling out books to get free stuff heh.
    EleanorR, alisa1970, knfzn and 4 others like this.

I learned everything I needed to know in life walking the streets of Compton.

We All Shine On Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I also remember no age restrictions for purchase, or of there was they were not enforced.

Click On the Icon And Play Along

Quote Originally Posted by Butters78 View Post
    That's before my time. I'm 35. I remember my mom getting stamps from the grocery store and filling out books to get free stuff heh.
    Hey, the Bradys did that too, the boys had a big contest v. the girls to decide how the Green Stamps would be spent, the boys made Marcia cry or something (I'm sure nobody would have cared if Jan had been made to cry so it must have been Marcia, poor Jan, she probably grew up to be a serial killer) so they decided together instead on a TV for all of them...

Oh wait, that was before your time too...

You freakin' whippersnapper.

It's late and DON'T EVEN LET me see you make off for that bed without brushing your teeth, young man.

Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I remember my folks smoking in church, and me smoking on airplanes... with a gun in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by State O' Flux View Post
    I remember my folks smoking in church, and me smoking on airplanes... with a gun in my pocket.
    OMG...that was YOU? Oh I had no idea that was a gun.

Sorry...it's getting late and I'm going silly...

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by State O' Flux View Post
    I was young and not a smoker yet, but I do remember being on a plane as a teenager with people smoking. I also remember in college riding amtrak back and forth to home for breaks and hanging out in the lounge car the whole time and smoking.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Butters78 View Post
    S&H Green Stamps

Woops, dating myself........ 60
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

Wow reminiscing the good ole days. Still kinda like that in some shops in China every time i go back. And they still let people smoking indoor in most restaurants there too. I still remember the smoking segregated sections in restaurants in Hong Kong. Teachers used to smoke outside our classrooms while we practised writing our words. But this was in China.

But after coming to the US, i still remember my first few years of work when they let us smoke inside. Everyone was sorting packages with cigarettes and cigars dangling in their mouths. Conveyor belts used to have butts and burn marks rolling out with janitors sweeping it off every shift. Supervisors were always mumbling orders to us with cigs in their mouths that we could never really make out. Now with no more analogs inside, they shout at us a lot louder...
    CaliforniaGirl likes this.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast