Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1053
Like Tree3962Likes

Thread: Establishments Banning E-Cigs - 2 reasons

  1. #21
    PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Ryedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brampton, Canada
    Posts
    6,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTony View Post
    1. Misinformation - there's a TON of misinformation about e-cigs out there. They're new and people who know nothing about them are afraid of them, so they just ban them. This is a given and you all know about this so I won't go into it.
    Yup. Plus there are people who think that anything involving nicotine use is bad, but I guess that's just more misinformation.

    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTony View Post
    2. Vapers are so blatant about vaping indoors, in public. This is the sad reason because it's our fault.
    IMO, the majority of vapers are considerate. I know a lot of us vape only where smoking is allowed or close to those places. OTOH, it only takes one complaint and a new anti vaping rule is likely to be created.

    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTony View Post
    The solution is not to vape indoors in public, or if we must, to stealth vape. I've become good at this over the years to the point that people don't even know I'm vaping if I do so indoors. Discreetly bring my e-cig to my lips, take a drag, hold it in for a while, then just blow whatever vapor remains (which is very little if any if I hold it in long enough) down my chest so no one sees a cloud.

    How can we prevent new vapers from drawing this bad attention to our community? Ideas?
    You have an opinion and you're assuming it's correct. It's not that simple. You first need to convince people that you have a valid point. I think a lot more homework on your part and a different approach is required before you have any chance of success with this one.
    If you Tweet and have 2 extra minutes a day, you can do this. Look for the daily threads in General E-Smoking Discussion
    titled “Fight for Your Right to #Vape – Daily Action Plan” and Tweet for the cause.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #22
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    Some places restrict eating food or drinking in their establishments. Whether they are eating a carrot or a burger from Heart Attack grill is doesn't matter. Yeah the carrot is healthier than the burger. Probably has a better smell.

    If a security guard came and said no eating allowed in here.. would you say it is just a carrot and give them literature on how healthy a carrot is.

    Vaping is a fine line from smoking. To distinguish between the two, like eating, is splitting hairs.

  4. Advertisement
  5. #23
    Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Recon Number 54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    379

    Default

    I personally believe that a core issue that non-smokers, businesses and the public in general (I didn't mention politicians, since they have their own agenda and facts aren't going to alter their desires) is due to the term "e-cigarette".

    IMO, the term is damning (to the general public) because it equates (or at least associates) vaping to smoking cigarettes. In essence, it is "guilty by association" and as far as the misinformed or uninformed public is concerned it is "smoking by alternate means".

    I know that "you can't unring the bell" and that the term "e-cigarette" was initially required or considered to be a good idea in order to attract and entice smokers, I think that in the long term, we as a community are going to suffer from the perception and misconceptions that come with the term.

    Sadly, it's a matter of perception and not of facts. Once more, truthiness (in the eyes of the non-vaping public) may be our biggest challenge.
    After many years online, there is one thing that I have learned. ​"Internet is gonna Internet"

  6. #24
    PV Master ECF Veteran CommaHolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Plant City, FL
    Posts
    5,193

    Default

    I guess I just feel like there HAS TO BE a happy medium between vaping huge clouds everywhere we think we have the RIGHT to vape,,,,,,,

    and skulking into the smoking section to whimper and hide our horriffic addiction.

    I mean,,,,,,,doesn't there have to be??

    some things to remember,,,,,,,

    laws are laws, and they sometimes suck,,they should be obeyed,,,,,,,,,,,but they can be changed.

    private property belongs to the owners and they have the right to make the rules,,,,,,,,just like you do in your home. However, we have the right to take our business elsewhere,,,,,,,,,,and we have the right (maybe the obligation) to let them know nicely WHY we are taking our business elsewhere.

    There's often more than one option,,,,,,,,,,,if vaping is criticized in public places, offer to MOVE the vape further away, rather than stop.

    Respect doesn't mean being a big lout and blowing huge clouds of vape into the faces of little old ladies,,,,,,,but neither does it mean rolling over and taking it either.

    There's something to be said for vaping in public,,,,,,,,,in that we are educating the public,,,,,,,,,but there's also something to be said for vaping in smoking sections,,,,,,,we educate smokers.

    Just my 2 cents, I guess.
    DC2, zapped, goober and 9 others like this.

  7. #25
    PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Ryedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brampton, Canada
    Posts
    6,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate View Post
    In Red: This is EXACTLY why Vaping has been banned in most places I work or frequent

    Today, vaping is banned in most public places.
    Pyrate, do you know the bans are the result of people complaining about vapers, or are you assuming they are because it's obvious?
    If you Tweet and have 2 extra minutes a day, you can do this. Look for the daily threads in General E-Smoking Discussion
    titled “Fight for Your Right to #Vape – Daily Action Plan” and Tweet for the cause.

  8. #26
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    MacTechVpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Posts
    1,352
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    If you behave like your actions are antisocial, you will be viewed as one.

    We help no one by behaving as if we were criminals. And frankly I spent too many years of my life being looked down upon by people who were too ignorant to understand my concerns or self-righteous ex-smokers.

    Pardon me but **** that noise.

    There is no reason for us to legitimize the prejudice of others by reinforcing their own ignorance.

    Rather to call attention to oneself and prompt the interest of the rational and naturally curious among us. They are the majority. If not, it's up to us to make it so.

    One way, or the other.

    Good luck!

    zapped, Baldr, Caridwen and 8 others like this.

    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity—Seneca the Younger

  9. #27
    PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    zapped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    4,665

    Default

    In all fairness Pyrate you are in Las Vegas. Your bans could just as easily be the result of a mob bos......err dirty politici.......losing money or sales because of e-cigs. There are a LOT of factors that come into play.

    I wanted to point out again that when you say vaping is banned everywhere youre only talking about your neck of the woods.Sucks for you and feel for you.I truly do.

    I also find it ironic and extremely hypocritical that a city known as a den of vice, iniquity and gambling (everything that makes it fun :-) would ban e-cigs of all things.
    Credo, suspectK, Anjaffm and 1 others like this.

  10. #28
    PV Master ECF Veteran stevegmu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    mistake by the lake
    Posts
    3,391

    Default

    Businesses aren't going to hire extra staff to walk around telling 'concerned' customers the vapor they see coming from other customers isn't smoke. Easier and cheaper just to prohibit vaping. No amount of education will counteract the fact that vapor looks like smoke.
    dash, CommaHolly, Talyon and 5 others like this.

  11. #29
    PV Master ECF Veteran stevegmu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    mistake by the lake
    Posts
    3,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zapped View Post
    In all fairness Pyrate you are in Las Vegas. Your bans could just as easily be the result of a mob bos......err dirty politici.......losing money or sales because of e-cigs. There are a LOT of factors that come into play.
    It isn't the 1970's. Vegas is run by corporations, not the mafia.

  12. #30
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    MacTechVpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Posts
    1,352
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    There's always $ or power to be gained somewhere or somehow by politicizing an activity.

    Just sayin'.

    zapped and Anjaffm like this.

    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity—Seneca the Younger

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •