Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Will this carto tank ever not suck?

Ultra Member Verified Member LDS714's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even though a lot of people like to put down B&Ms for being expensive, this is one area where I've been served well.

Got my first carto tanks at B&Ms. The guy at the shop primed and filled my first one, and it's been a piece of cake since.

Thanks to Nick at Vulcan Vape, I've had nothing but success and great flavor from the carto tanks. Not only that, but from reading here about wasted cartos, it seems like I've saved money.
    Rocketpunk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zapped:11103613
    Sounds as if youre not priming it correctly or you dont have a tight seal. My carto tanks work perfectly but there was a learning curve to using them.
    Learning curve+some research and development..lol I had a problem when I started using different vendors. I would just consider the ratio, but that really isn't the real factor. 100% VG flsvors can be about the same consistency as corn syrup or even thinner than artificially flavored 50/50 mixes. I still learn with cartomizers and certain flavors after about 10months of using them.

On Sabbatical ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Ocelot, I've noticed your Halloween avatar. Did/do you watch Breaking Bad? I'm going to change my Avatar soon to my new costume.

And zing.

I am the one who knocks.
    Last edited by Rocketpunk; 10-27-2013 at 04:26 PM.

FIRE THE LASER BEAM!

At some point in my life, I don't care when, I just want to be able to scream these words: "FIRE THE LASER BEAM!" Fist clenched and everything.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Personal note only:

3 F-16 Tanks and ZERO issues.
    1 (included) carto that flooded uncontrollably from the minute the tank was filled. Replaced and no failures since.
    Inspection revealed Filler only reached laser Holes leaving an open Base for liquid to puddle.

Contrary to opinions, any tank properly shaped and sealed should work correctly within its material restrictions.

Proper use of a quality Cartomizer is key.
    fourthrok, cdsaint66 and balwin like this.
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by crxess View Post
    Personal note only:

3 F-16 Tanks and ZERO issues.
    1 (included) carto that flooded uncontrollably from the minute the tank was filled. Replaced and no failures since.
    Inspection revealed Filler only reached laser Holes leaving an open Base for liquid to puddle.

Contrary to opinions, any tank properly shaped and sealed should work correctly within its material restrictions.

Proper use of a quality Cartomizer is key.
    Agree! I've used F16 tanks with success, but the cartos that come with them aren't very good IMO. The biggest advance in my carto tank using experience came when I switched from Volcano LR dual coil cartomizers to Boge LR single coil. Much better user experience!

ECF Veteran

I haven't been using many cartos fro the last few months but my experience with them is completely random. I would pass on the f16 tanks though. I had a few and they worked for a while but the chrome stuff came off and left sparkles in my juice.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post
    It sounds like you have already flooded your cartomizers beyond repair. Start over with a new carto.

As my friend Zapped said, priming the carto correctly is the single most important step in a cartotank setup. How well you do this will determine how well that carto performs for its entire life.

Follow the method I use here word for word. Watch the video. Use the tooth pick. Get yourself a tank accessory tool. There is a slight learning curve with cartotanks, but you'll get it down soon.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Cartotank Help for a Noob

Make certain your draw techique is correct for a cartotank. Slow gentle long draws of 4 - 6 seconds - imagine sucking on a straw in a thick milkshake. Short hard draw like you are smoking a cigarette will flood the carto. Not priming the carto adequately will cause dry burnt hits.

I'm not a fan of the low-end tanks like the F16, but it hopefully will give you a glimpse of what a quality cartotank can provide.
    Everything Bad said is right on the money. I just wanted to add that Ive run into a couple of people lately who have either forgotten about the importance of using a long, slow draw or never knew about in the first place.

One was my wife, she was doing a really hard, short (about 3 second) draw on the tank and it was burning her juice.

A helpful analogy is to think back to when you were smoking. Ever had someone bum a drag and then completely disintegrate the filter with a puff or two while also turning the filter that nasty black/dark brown color?

Thats NOT how you want to draw on a carto or even a clearo tank as it causes the juice to caramelize on the coils. If your juice is visibly turning much darker in your tank over the course of a few days this is the likely culprit.

Think long, slow, easy drags that barely discolor the filter of a traditional cigarette. 5 to 6 seconds is ideal. You can see Phil Busardo counting to 5 by nodding his head when he does juice reviews.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by zapped; 10-27-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Baditude likes this.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    Blog Entries

Third time is a charm plus baditudes blog helped me get setup. Now I swap back and forth to my pt2 now. Depends on juice and mood.
    zapped and Baditude like this.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by zapped View Post
    Everything Bad said is right on the money. I just wanted to add that Ive run into a couple of people lately who have either forgotten about the importance of using a long, slow draw or never knew about in the first place.

One was my wife, she was doing a really hard, short (about 3 second) draw on the tank and it was burning her juice.

A helpful analogy is to think back to when you were smoking. Ever had someone bum a drag and then completely disintegrate the filter with a puff or two while also turning the filter that nasty black/dark brown color?

Thats NOT how you want to draw on a carto or even a clearo tank as it causes the juice to caramelize on the coils. If your juice is visibly turning much darker in your tank over the course of a few days this is the likely culprit.

Think long, slow, easy drags that barely discolor the filter of a traditional cigarette. 5 to 6 seconds is ideal. You can see Phil Busardo counting to 5 by nodding his head when he does juice reviews.

Hope that helps.
    Hotboxing. That's what I used to call it (don't know why). I hated when that would happen. Great analogy, though.
    zapped likes this.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by danca90 View Post
    I use XXL cartos sometimes, they hold 3.5 ml, so no need for a tank.
    I'll use the XXLs when I travel simply because it's easy to toss a few into a baggie, bring along a couple of eGo batteries and maybe a small bottle of liquid. Much more easy to get through security, easier to pack, no worries of tank leaking due to pressure changes on the flight, etc..

As to the advice and observations in this thread? There's very little that I can add, especially since the information is so very spot-on.

One poster did mention that the tank is just a tank, and with that, I agree. It's just a reservoir for the liquid and saves having to frequently top/fill a carto and automatically keeps its polyfill at a proper level of saturation. I went with a cheap option when I got my first set of tanks, I wanted each of my favorite liquids tanked and went with the pyrex Smok DCTs since they had a low entry cost. Now that I've settled in and decided that carto-tanks are my preferred method? Well, the Smok DCTs are essentially "disposable" since the caps are fixed and the seals/o-rings can't be replaced. When they fail (not a matter of if, I do take care of them, use a carto-insertion tool, but they will fail sooner or later) I will replace them with a higher quality glass tank. But since they will fail at various times, the hit to my budget won't be all at once.

Great topic, great discussion, invaluable information. Especially for those who are lurking (we know that you're out there!)
    zapped likes this.
    After many years online, there is one thing that I have learned. ​"Internet is gonna Internet"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast