Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gain?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Default Weight Gain?

Have any of you gained weight since stopping the analogs and just doing vaper? Is it giving up the nic that makes people gain?

2. Advertisement
    Supplier Associate ECF Veteran QueenInNC's Avatar

I gained 8 pounds quickly when I quit smoking in June. I started smoking again in December and smoked for a couple of months ( like 10 ish a day). I now have not had an analog in 3 weeks and have seen no gain. I must say though that I exercise at least 4 days per week. That made no difference in June though. The 8 pounds came quick and I have yet to get them off! lol
    www.eliquidplanet.com

4. Advertisement
    Ultra Member* ECF Veteran
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I'm no expert, but I think that the weight gain comes from the fact that nicotine is an appetite suppressant. You stop the nicotine intake, you get hungrier. You snack. You gain weight.

Being aware of this is half the battle... and fight the hunger. Suck hard candies instead of eating a bar of chocolate. Eat popcorn instead of a bag of chips.

Smart choices... that's what it's all about.

I've actually managed to lose 35 pounds in 6 months, and I'm hypothyroid... so I have a tendency to gain weight.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
    I'm no expert, but I think that the weight gain comes from the fact that nicotine is an appetite suppressant. You stop the nicotine intake, you get hungrier. You snack. You gain weight.

Being aware of this is half the battle... and fight the hunger. Suck hard candies instead of eating a bar of chocolate. Eat popcorn instead of a bag of chips.

Smart choices... that's what it's all about.

I've actually managed to lose 35 pounds in 6 months, and I'm hypothyroid... so I have a tendency to gain weight.
    Wally my man!!!! LOL Good for you on the weight loss! That's awesome. I've just always heard it's not just the eating that makes you gain weight when you quit smoking, it's the nic that speeds up your metabolism and without it you will automatically gain weight no matter what you eat. Who knows!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by QueenInNC View Post
    I gained 8 pounds quickly when I quit smoking in June. I started smoking again in December and smoked for a couple of months ( like 10 ish a day). I now have not had an analog in 3 weeks and have seen no gain. I must say though that I exercise at least 4 days per week. That made no difference in June though. The 8 pounds came quick and I have yet to get them off! lol
    Queen, I love your siggy of your boogie woogie. LOL Funny!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

About says:

Nicotine and Insulin

Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. High blood sugar acts as an appetite suppressant, which may be why smokers think their cigarettes reduce hunger.

Forum Admin
    Suppliers Manager
    Complaints Manager
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySevens4U View Post
    Have any of you gained weight since stopping the analogs and just doing vaper? Is it giving up the nic that makes people gain?
    No weight gain & no change in lifestyle..been vaping 7 months now..I started at 11mg , had to go up to 18mg to really stop analogs..and slowly diluted down to 4-7mg juice for the last month with no change in hunger..
    I hope when I hit 0 nic..nothing changes..

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran QueenInNC's Avatar

Nicotine does increase our metabloism. I also read that smoking a pack of analogs per day burn up to 250 calories! Here are a few related links.

Quit Smoking Weight Gain - Weight Gain When You Quit Smoking

http://www.smokefree.gov/pubs/FFree3.pdf

How to Quit Smoking and not Gain Weight

Walrus is right though. Watch what you eat and you may not have a problem.
    www.eliquidplanet.com

Ultra Member* ECF Veteran
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySevens4U View Post
    Wally my man!!!! LOL Good for you on the weight loss! That's awesome. I've just always heard it's not just the eating that makes you gain weight when you quit smoking, it's the nic that speeds up your metabolism and without it you will automatically gain weight no matter what you eat. Who knows!
    Well, yes and no. If you cut your caloric intake, you should balance out. You don't have to eat less... just healthier. OMG, did I just say that? I don't consider myself a 'healthy' eater, but I try to make better choices... as I said earlier... popcorn instead of chips, hard candy instead of chocolates. You can still have the satisfaction with a lot less calories.

[edit] And if you get into mixing your own flavors, you can kill two birds with one stone... you can see some of my recipes in other threads, but I've been experimenting with various 'sweet' flavors (no sugar in them) like chocolates, strawberries, coffees, mints, etc. I get the smoking sensation and the sweets cravings taken care of at the same time.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

IMHO one of the main reasons that people gain weight after giving up smoking is due to them nibbling, comfort eating & or sucking sweets to compensate. You just don't need to do either when using the e-cig

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast