Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega eGo charger question

Senior Member Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    ECF Veteran

Default Mega eGo charger question

Just got the Mega eGo with 900 mAh battery and a Fast USB charger. When it finally died I plugged it into a standard wall charger KR808 with a max rated output of 0.1 A. The light was green from the first minute but the battery wouldn't charge.

I also have a KR808 XL charger that is rated at 0.2 A. I'm wondering if I should just put on an adapter and use that?

Am I supposed to charge from my computers USB port, or is there a wall charger specifically made to go with the Fast USB charger?

I read the standard 510 charger works but takes longer, but I don't have one. Where can I get the right wall charger for the USB Fast Charger to plug into when charging a Mega eGo (900 mAh) battery?

Last edited by NuGalicia; 06-27-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'm not really clear on what you are asking or stating. (I've had a few to drink) But I use a hello 016 charger HelloTech 016 420ma charger for my ego and it works great. I have a standard ego 650mAh. this charger is for the hello 1300mAh battery. So it should work for a 900 mAh no problem.

your question isnt super clear but I think I got the gist of it...
    you've got the eGo on an eGo fast charger but then plugged into a KR808 usb to AC adapter of some sort?

anyway yeah I'd plug it into the computer's USB port... even an adapter that's pushing .2A is going to be terribly slow to charge that battery...

here let's break it down:
    let's say you have the native eGo fast charger and the usb to ac adapter that would normally come in a kit with it...
    the AC to USB adapter output is .5A and the fast charger's output is 420mAh (.42A)

the standard 510 mains charger works on em with an adapter but is painfully slow taking upwards of 6+ hours to charge the 650mAh eGo batteries because it only pushes 150mA (.15A)

so while that KR8 charger may actually be working you're probably looking at 10+ hours to charge that battery

plug it into the USB of your computer that fast charger will probably have it charged in about 2.5 to 3 hours

Current PVs: Precise Plus 18650 10/7/11, Super6 3/13/10, eGo 1/23/10 (shelved)...

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NuGalicia View Post
    Just got the Mega eGo with 900 mAh battery and a Fast USB charger. When it finally died I plugged it into a standard wall charger KR808 with a max rated output of 0.1 A. The light was green from the first minute but the battery wouldn't charge.

I also have a KR808 XL charger that is rated at 0.2 A. I'm wondering if I should just put on an adapter and use that?

Am I supposed to charge from my computers USB port, or is there a wall charger specifically made to go with the Fast USB charger?

I read the standard 510 charger works but takes longer, but I don't have one. Where can I get the right wall charger for the USB Fast Charger to plug into when charging a Mega eGo (900 mAh) battery?

:|
    First, if the charger went green within the first minute, that means that the vendor likely already charged it and it's ready to go.

The eGo charger should operate from any usb port that is 300ma or greater - you only need the 1 (2amp for KR8 PT) when running a passthrough without an inline batt. So any wall plug with a usb port will work (again 300ma or greater).

I've heard that eGos will actually charge on a regular charger but no confirmation from guys like Quick1 or Scottbee as to whether this is wise or not or what the difference actually is. So for now I'd stick with the eGo charger or as you point out, a regular 510 charge BUT with the cheap 'adapter' that Janty, TW, etc. sell when charging an eGo/Tornado via a mains charger.

ECF Veteran

Without going into particulars about my laptop, I want to avoid charging from my computer. I'm kinda' surprised a wall charger (AC to USB adapter) didn't come with the Mega eGo.

You guys answered one question: apparently I'll need at least a 420 mAh (0.42 A) wall charger to get the job done. The ones I have won't work (200 mAh/0.2 A & 100 mAh/0.1 A). They won't even light up the button when it's pressed while plugged in for 2 hrs.

So thanks, and I'll start looking for the '0.5 A charger mentioned by someone above.

PV Master* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by NuGalicia View Post
    Without going into particulars about my laptop, I want to avoid charging from my computer. I'm kinda' surprised a wall charger (AC to USB adapter) didn't come with the Mega eGo.

You guys answered one question: apparently I'll need at least a 420 mAh (0.42 A) wall charger to get the job done. The ones I have won't work (200 mAh/0.2 A & 100 mAh/0.1 A). They won't even light up the button when it's pressed while plugged in for 2 hrs.

So thanks, and I'll start looking for the '0.5 A charger mentioned by someone above.
    I can't answer this Q, but I also am upgrading to an eGo, so I wanted everyone's input. What I can tell you is that for an adapter for my 510s passthru, instead of using my computer port, I used my iPod adapter. That works well for me and saved me a trip to the local elec. shop.

Good call on not using your computer port -- I think it was eJoker, moderator, that fried his motherboard going that route -- one of those times when something goes wrong.

ECF Veteran

Thanks for the heads up Seabrook. I did some more searching & confirmed what you said about possible problems to charging using a computer. USB ports do not limit current or turn off power. See:
    charge battery using USB Page of
    I simply didn't want to leave my laptop on all night because my Dell has overheating issues and also it's charger gets very hot.
    I'm amazed that no vendors found here on ECF have an AC to USB adapter (wall charger) with adequate current to connect the eGo Fast Charger to!
    Madvapes has a 2 amp(2000 mA), but all others are .1 or .2 amp. The eGo fast charger really needs .5 amp(500 mA). Since the USB spec doesn't limit current, 2 amp could potentially fry the Fast Charger or blow up a battery.
    All that said, here's where I found eGo users can get one:
    Emtc - AC to USB 500mAh Power Adapter Charger
    ECF vendors, here's another product you could offer (hint, hint...)

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Whistle_Pig's Avatar

I've decided I'm going to just bypass having to get yet another wall-wart. I'm going to find a molex connector in my PC parts box, and wire it to a USB port that I'll get from either a bulkhead connector or a USB extension cable. Then I'll have 5V straight from my PC's power supply, instead of from the motherboard. I think that my 600W PC power supply won't mind a bit.

Sometimes, an e-cig is just an e-cig. -- Sigmund Joyeud | Join the CoVapE Group | Colorado Vapers Forum

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Whistle_Pig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kent C View Post
    I've heard that eGos will actually charge on a regular charger but no confirmation from guys like Quick1 or Scottbee as to whether this is wise or not or what the difference actually is.
    I'm doing this right now -- well, it's the std 510 USB charger, since my 2nd USB fast charger crapped out. Makes me wonder if there's not a bad manufacturing run of those things. In fact, I'm going to start a new thread on that subject.

Due to a shortage of charged batts, I was vaping just fine off my eGoXL earlier today, after a partial charge from the std 510 USB charger. Getting it fully charged now so I can have 9hr day from it tomorrow.

Sometimes, an e-cig is just an e-cig. -- Sigmund Joyeud | Join the CoVapE Group | Colorado Vapers Forum

Tasty vapor has it and its cheaper.
    Its nice to be important,but its more important to be nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast