E-smoking could be worse than real cigarettes
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: E-smoking could be worse than real cigarettes

Default E-smoking could be worse than real cigarettes

This is one of the first things people (mostly smokers) say to me when they see my 901 or I bring up the subject of e-smoking. These days I'm getting kinda peed off, because of the "I told you so" attitude I'm getting from people when I mention how e-smoking is being cracked down on in Canada. I'm feeling a lot of bad vibes from analog smokers. It's funny because there used to be two groups: smokers vs. antis...now I feel as if there's: vapers vs. smokers vs. antis.

A smoker told me today that we know nothing about e-smoking so that's why he never got into it. The Canada crack-down makes total sense to him. I hear a lot of speculation from smokers I talk to. For example, the batteries could cause cancer, there could be something in the atomizer that causes something 10x worse than real cancer, glycerine could mess up your lungs, you can't trust products from China, etc.

I can't deny any of those speculations, anything's possible. Today I had 2 non-smokers and that 1 smoker rallying up against me. I was getting really frustrated.

How would you defend yourself against those speculations?

Full Member ECF Veteran

Common sense tells me that to stop inhaling burnt tobacco with all it's associated toxins and carcinogens has to be a good thing. All we know for sure in such an argument is that analogs kill you. I already feel better and my life is better in many ways since I stopped the analogs and took up vaping, so I can only speak from that perspective.

It really is a huge leap in logic from saying that the data doesn't yet exist to demonstrate that these devices are safe to saying that they are as bad, or worse, than analogs. We only know for sure that analogs are killers. We don't know that about e-cigs. My instincts and personal experience tell me that they are not as bad for me as analogs, and may well do me no harm at all, and that'll do for me. I've made my choice.

It is strange that smokers seem unduly threatened by e-cigs though.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Tell them fine, do what you think best but, I'll be sure to come to your funeral & say "I told you so".

Pure ignorance, are people totally brainwashed!! very sad
    moon

Inactive Supplier ECF Veteran

If theyre worried about products from China, they'd better stop buying foods and prescription medicines. Many foods and prescription meds have ingredients that are made in China. I dont know about Canada, but here in the U.S. the only time they have to label foods with country of origin is when it's a single ingredient food (such as produce). Foods with multiple ingredients are exempt from country of origin requirements because the ingredients often come from a variety of countries. (ie: the sugar in an item may be a mix of sugar from both the U.S. and Brazil)

Batteries - how are you going to get cancer from those? Are you eating them?

Glycol - it's approved for use in inhalers. That doesnt mean it's safe, but it does mean that the govt considers it safe-enough.

I get the impression from a lot of anti-esmokers that I talk to, that they are expecting some sort of major flaw with e-cigarettes. That there is some of sort doomsday element hidden in e-smoking that is going to send all of us guinea pigs to an early grave.
    Last edited by nonamebrand; 04-02-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nonamebrand View Post
    A smoker told me today that we know nothing about e-smoking so that's why he never got into it....

How would you defend yourself against those speculations?
    No way to defend ourselves to non smokers in my opinion other than I am trying to quit and this is my route.

I find the smokers quote above most amusing. That said, what is his excuse for smoking with all we do know about it's lethal effects? No guilt felt that to keep smoking you will ultimately be a burden on the health care system, and emotionally devastate his loved ones that must watch his painful demise when lung cancer sets in.

Ego 510, prefer Vision clearomizers, DK Tabisha 12mg 50/50%pg/vg

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I guess i'm lucky i haven't come across any real anti PV sentiments yet. All the guys at work are fine with it. I talk with one of them about possible mods. Another is thinking of getting his brother one for his birthday. All of them are non smokers.

The way i see it and justify it is -
    Smoke analogs with all the known chemicals and carcinogens plus all the known health risks to me and the people around me.

Or i vap a substance that is already approved for used in a lot of products, and i believe has not been classsified as a carcinogen. Smells lots better, tastes better, is cheaper (for now).

Obviously them real anti smokers will just say "why don't you just quit ".

I do believe that most smokers want to quit but as we all know that is easier said then done. So until that time there is some kind of magic pill with no side effects and actually works as good as PVs do, why not play the odds and reduce the possible harm to you and others around you ?

A lot of people are scared by the unknown. Personally i enjoy a little unknown. You need to step off the marked trail every once in a while. If it doesn't effect anyone else and i could possibly be doing something good for my health then sorry, but i don't really care what you think of it i'm going to do it.

I think that nicowolf's sig line sums it up "my body, my addiction"!!

Basically when I said analogs are proven to give cancer, he said e-cigarettes could be 10 times worse. And that's not the first time I've heard something like that in a face to face conversation with a smoker.

Inactive Supplier ECF Veteran

there's not much that would be worse than cancer - it's a miserable way to die. Father died from lung cancer.
    Last edited by OutWest; 04-02-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast