Starting an E-Cig Store - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Starting an E-Cig Store

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Wish you were in OC Xhale

This was a very sobering thread. My wife and I started having this same conversation last night and I started researching on alibaba, e-commerce webspace, etc. We were all excited for a minute...and then this thread comes along.

What a crusher... But I could see, with the THOUSANDS of online stores, confusing fragmented equipment models/names... It just seems like it would be a difficult business to stand out in, much less make money.

On top of that, you have the FDA coming down on you. If an outright ban happened (even local), and you had $$$$$ tied up in inventory you would be in a real mess.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...
    Chuck2 likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Slickstick View Post
    I didn't think anybody used it!
    None of the flavoring companies I know of even have it in their flavorings!
    It would have to be added separately.
    I don't think any ecf forum supplier would contain it in their liquids!

Apparently you haven't seen the threads devoted to diacetyl. There is diacetyl in flavors from FlavourArt, one of the most popular sources of flavor for liquid. It's mostly in the 'buttery' flavors, and people were (and I'm sure still are) using it in their liquid. There are several very contentious threads regarding this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Slickstick View Post
    It would have been much easier in the past to ask which companies do contain it rather than which ones don't.

Vendors have been asked, with varying response. Some claimed there was no diacetyl in anything they sell, only to realize later that there was. That's all I can say on this forum, though.

Moved On

After adding some more prices together we are thinking of just starting this as a hobby. It is so expensive.

I honestly hope that businesses are testing their juices.

Super Member ECF Veteran oldjoe's Avatar

As a small business owner for over 40 yrs. (automotive and PC) I would offer this advise.
    First HAVE A PLAN and do your homework.
    Be absolutely certain you have adequate funding before starting. I would want to have sufficient funds to last at least 6 months with no income. Most small businesses have a long dry spell in the beginning and most fail within 6 months.
    Research the demand for your product/service in your area.
    Check into local, state and federal laws/regulations regarding your business/service.
    Talk with a GOOD tax person.
    The present day economic climate is hard on us established businesses and could be brutal to a new business if the research isn't done adequately.
    Chuck2 likes this.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran PVPuff&Stuff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deofol View Post
    What a crusher...
    Don't get discouraged if it's something you want to do. There's a lot of information in this thread that isn't exactly right. The only way to figure it out for sure is to do the work & research yourself. I wouldn't rely on business advice from a forum....even one as well-intentioned as this one.

About 90% of my customers have had the same idea. I have no problem answering general questions or explaining a concept. It shows they've done (or are doing) their own work. Expecting someone to fill out a step-by-step business plan is just lazy.

Yes, it is a LOT of work. 3-4 hours sleep a night...disappearing personal time....(and I mean ALL of it)...it's a business. It's going to take that kind of effort.

Here's a good place to start, good luck!
    Dave

The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345