How to inhale - a tip for consistent vapor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to inhale - a tip for consistent vapor

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb How to inhale - a tip for consistent vapor

Inconsistent performance can occur when you don't get juice flow to the heater coil. This can occur even though the cart has sufficient (is full/topped up), and can occur when dripping too. It's not necessarily because there is not enough juice or that the atomizer is dry but that the juice is not getting onto the heater coil.

The reason is that a certan draw force (strength of inhale) can be enough to activate the coil (light comes on and coil heats up) but not enough to draw droplets from the metal wicking mesh to the coil.

So, when you notice vapor trail off or a burnt smell (atomizer 'running dry'), try a brief more forceful inhale, followed by your usual inhale. You might well hear the short strong inhale pull some juice onto the coil (slight slurp-like sound of the droplets).

This is what is sometimes referred to as a 'primer puff'; for it to solve this particular issue it needs to be strong (usually by primer puff is meant pre-heating the coil, but in this case it is getting droplets of juice to the coil that is the aim).

It generally needs a bit more force of inhale to get some juice onto the heater coil than to activate the coil. I find I need to do the short strong inhale every so often (about every third puff or so) with my 901s - and then all is well.

In time, you'll know just how hard to inhale and when, and it will become second nature.

If the short strong inhale does not help, try dropping a few drips into the atomizer; wait a minute and try that. If it now works ok then the problem is that the cart is not properly contacting the 'metal bridge' inside the atomizer. In this case, try pulling out the cart material a little bit.

Last edited by kinabaloo; 05-11-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Moved On

That is the finest drawing of a coil to date. Cheers. This technique can sometimes work if the atomizer is already flooded. A quick, hard draw can clear the atomizer just long enough to get it vaping again.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Does not belong in Newbs Forum.

Lu
    Last edited by ZambucaLu; 05-09-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

I've found that if I keep the vent hole on my 901 upright all the time, juice does not collect in the hole and the draw stays easier longer. Taking a super easy and really slow draw seems to work best for me so far. When I started I dragged super hard and all I got was juice and a weak hit. Sometimes I've found that if I alternate slanting the end up when I top off and down when it runs low helps alot. It seems when I tilt back the juice comes away from the coil and gets better vaper on a fresh topoff.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Lu - why's that?? It is newbies who need to know this.

ps: i didn't know it was moved and thought it was deleted for some reason; even asked SJ to investigate ...
    Last edited by kinabaloo; 05-09-2009 at 08:21 PM.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by breakfastchef View Post
    That is the finest drawing of a coil to date. Cheers. This technique can sometimes work if the atomizer is already flooded. A quick, hard draw can clear the atomizer just long enough to get it vaping again.
    Not sure about the diagram being so great, but glad you like it

Because the coil is not attached to the metal mesh, getting the juice from the mesh to the coil requires a certain level of inhale that can be more than that required to activate the coil. That's the point. Obviously seasoned vaporers do this without thinking. So it is not about the atomizer being flooded, it is about pulling droplets from the mesh to the coil.
    Last edited by kinabaloo; 05-09-2009 at 08:23 PM.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kinabaloo View Post
    Lu - why's that?? It is newbies who need to know this.

ps: i didn't know it was moved and thought it was deleted for some reason; even asked SJ to investigate ...
    The newbs can read it in the general discussion forum. There's a lot of info newbs need to know. It couldn't possibly all be posted in the newbs forum as then their introductions/questions get buried.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...tml#post264474

Thanks,
    Lu

Quote Originally Posted by kinabaloo View Post
    The reason is that a certan draw force (strength of inhale) can be enough to activate the coil (light comes on and coil heats up) but not enough to draw droplets from the metal wicking mesh to the coil.
    This happens to my girlfriend a lot. I'll take a big puff and then she hits it and get nothing.LOL she thinks i'm playing a trick on her.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

That is a very nice diagram and very handy tips! You would think after almost a year of vaping I would know this but it actually helps especially with my 901!

Full Member ECF Veteran

This explains why the technique I'm using works so well for me.

My e-cig of choice is the 510 with a manual battery. When I find that the cart is running dry, I take a series of quick hard puffs without activating the atomizer. After those puffs, I take the draw with the atomizer activated. I usually get a good draw from it.

With this technique I find that I use up the cart much better and I don't have to refill that much. When I do, I find that I can usually fit in 12-15 drops as opposed to the 5-7 drops when I don't do those dry puffs.

Another reason why manual batteries are far superior IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast