Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Jobs medical insurance says ecigs a tobacco product

Default Jobs medical insurance says ecigs a tobacco product

I'm a little not happy at the moment to say the least. So here goes .....

Every year my medical insurance premiums have gone up through my workplace of 9 years. So of course I figured this year would be no different. Our enrollment is Oct 15- Nov 4.

They send a booklet which I got around the middle of October (mind you this was after the enrollment started but this i'm also used to) and in this booklet it says that tobacco users insurance rate would increase.

Unless you have stopped using tobacco products before Oct. 15, 2011

Oooookay hummmm I didn't even receive the booklet until after the 15th of Oct. (my reaction to this was WTH!!)

So i'm thinking whew good thing I don't use analogs anymore.

Well now it get interesting. (high sarcasm here)

A person (not myself) who uses an ecig asked a question on thier site about his ecig use and why this insurance would affect him due him not using analogs anymore and this was the respons he got:

Yes. E-cigarettes are considered a tobacco product.
    Below is an FAQ from the ******** Benefit Handbook that should answer the second part of your question.
    Why are e-cigarettes considered a tobacco product?
    The only difference between e-cigarettes and conventional cigarettes is that e-cigarettes don't contain actual tobacco leaf. Smokers "smoke" e-cigarettes in the same fashion as they do regular cigarettes. E-cigarettes deliver nicotine directly into the user's lungs causing the same effect as when someone smokes conventional cigarettes.
    Thanks for asking the question.

So I go into the website to do my insurance information and a popup box appears stating to the effect the if you lie about tobacco use you could A: lose your insurance and B: Lose your job.

So even though I don't do analogs it is still being treated as such with the new "tobacco users" medical insurance rates which happen to be well (for me at least) truly sky high and simply unaffordable for myself and my husband even as a 9 year worker.

So needless to say, this year out of my nine years working for this company I no longer have medical insurance.

So that is my rant for the day ......
    Last edited by patxxoo; 11-05-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Super Member ECF Veteran nanovapr's Avatar

Wow, sorry to hear that. This is the cost of ignorance! It's especially sad when it is generally agreed that we are doing things to greatly better our health (compared to smoking), yet still get treated like the much higher risk group of smokers.

I feel so much better after vaping a while, and I didn't think I felt bad before.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Oh my ... to say that is "upsetting" is a gross understatement! Who IS this medical insurance company? Even though it helps you not a bit, I am so very sorry for this totally ignorant, idiotic attitude of the insurance folks. Oh geez ....
    Creniker likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Has anyone asked about tobacco secession gum, patches and pills?
    If I'm awake, I vape!
    No 'bakky' since Apr 14, 2011, after 45 years of 2 PaD <insert Snoopy dance here>

Uma
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Any excuse to make a buck while they can.
    They obviously know that:
    1. Nicotine reduces stress.
    1b. Stress produces every imaginable scenario from heart attacks to obesity.
    2. Nicotine reduces the chances of getting Alzheimers disease
    2b. Longer life produces longer payments from those who can be conived out of their money by false propaganda and laws.

I'm too upset for you and shouldn't be posting. But, these ins companies are raking in the money while the raking's good. In a few years, they'll have to reduce the premium... because time WILL tell.
    UNITED WE STAND... divided we fall.
    Join http://casaa.org & protect your right to vape

"The only difference between e-cigarettes and conventional cigarettes is that e-cigarettes don't contain actual tobacco leaf. Smokers "smoke" e-cigarettes in the same fashion as they do regular cigarettes. E-cigarettes deliver nicotine directly into the user's lungs causing the same effect as when someone smokes conventional cigarettes."

This is such an absurd statement. There are plenty of differences between ecigs and conventional cigarettes. In fact, there is only one similarity and that is nicotine. Sorry you have to go through that.

So, are special rates for tobacco users becoming more of an industry standard? Even though I have to fill out the health questionnaire every year, the cost for the company is a grand total that gets split equally among the employees, regardless of their individual risk factors. Not looking forward to the next insurance renewal, that's for sure.
    Creniker likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Nicotine is harmful .. no matter how it's inhaled .. whenever these type threads pop up, which is fairly frequently .. we all rush to defend .. it's an indefensable position .. while I feel the OP's pain, an insurance company sets rates based on predictions .. and a nicotine user is a greater risk than a non-user .. if you did not use the nic, and the company decided to raise rates across the board based on the percentage of nic users, I feel certain the non-users would be quite vocal on that ..

@nanovapr

For some reason I never expected such underhanded measures from my company
    even if I had still used analogs... To give actual tobacco users no notice of these increases to even try to quit beforehand is underhanded. I'll tell you I just about had a stroke (seriously) when I saw the price increases they were that outragous.

@Jackie5407
    I'll have to double check to make sure it's the same as last year... I pretty much flipped out after seeing those prices and honestly didn't check to see if it's the same company as last year but I assume it is they are the same ones i've had all 9 years and i'd rather not say thier name as they are a very large insurance carrier....

@Iffy
    I'm not sure what your asking ...

See but that is part of my issue as a non analog user , yes, at this point I do still use nicotine, but this same company just last year (if you had the insurance that is) did start having a program for the employees that you could get the patches, gum and lozenges through and as I said this was only available for those whom had the insurance, which even at the time most employees didn't because this company mainly hires part time help, whom are not eligible for insurance ....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...fee-blonde.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/.../wal-mart-...-benefits.html
    Last edited by patxxoo; 11-05-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: too add links

Full Member ECF Veteran

Would nicotrol inhalers be considered smoking to? you are delivering nicotine to your lungs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast