What does 1.6% nicotine really mean?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What does 1.6% nicotine really mean?

Default What does 1.6% nicotine really mean?

As you all know, I'm pretty cheap, and I purchase 21st Century disposable e-cigs. The atomizer says "1.6%," or the percentage of nicotine. Does anyone know what the corresponding amount (in milligrams) of nicotine, and how does that compare to the amount of nicotine in an analog and other PV's.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'm sure others will chime in here, but from my understanding 1.6% nicotine would be equivalent to 16mg.

You can't really do a one to one comparison to analogs although you will see posts in various places that will say that 1ml liquid is equivalent to anywhere from 5-20 cigs. Many of those posts don't mention the mg of those liquids which, to me, just underline that the ratio for liquid to analogs isn't an exact science.

Personally, I used to smoke ~ 1 pack per day (or a few less) and I am a new vaper - I currently vape 24mg and go through 3-4ml per day (or even 5ml if I have an opportunity to chain vape...)

I tried 36mg liquid, but it didn't make me vape less, it just gave me palpitations from nic overdose.

I have a feeling I'd chain vape even on 0mg which is my ultimate goal.
    I think it comforts me just to have the hand motion and such.

At least I know that and can work with it!

Mistress Blabber Mouth Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

It means 16mg per ml. I just found something on wikipedia that says most cigarettes contain between 1 and 3 mg of nicotine. No idea how accurate that is.
    Last edited by MustangSallie; 06-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    To be the same is to emerge no one

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I vaped 36mg to help me get off the nasties, and am now back to my normal 30 mg, but I wouldn't advise chain vaping either strength I have found though that with a good device it's pretty close to smoking. There has been some tests done which had vaping being much less efficient but they were done with gas station disposables. I vape about 1 ml of 30 mg a day, that's 30 mg total, as the amount is mg per ml. I used to smoke about 35 cigarettes a day which were well over a mg of nic each, so I'm actually getting less nic now and am fully satisfied, so that suggests it may be pretty similar.

Mac
    Blog Entries

1.6% = 16mg per ml

Most full flavor cigs are 1.25-1.5 mg per cig. It takes approx 90 seconds from the time you exhale to get the full nic effect from each puff. At this point I have not seen a consensus on the absorption rate but I suspect that it is relatively low and mostly sub-lingual.
    I'd hate to advocate nicotine use, violence and insanity. But they've always worked for me.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Houston, TX (orig. from Kaiserslautern, Germany)

1.6 % = 16 mg of nic per ml.... I needed 18 to 24 to get me off the stinkies (smoked 1.5 PAD Menthol lights, now chain-vaping at about 18 mg) but depending on how much you smoked, 16 mg may very well work for you. GOOD LUCK!!!!

So let's say that I consume this disposable over the course of two weeks (believe it or not, it takes that long). How many cigarettes is that equal to over the course of two weeks in regards to nicotine?

I would like to however eventually find an e-cig with 0mg that's relatively inexpensive.

Mistress Blabber Mouth Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by mwplefty View Post
    So let's say that I consume this disposable over the course of two weeks (believe it or not, it takes that long). How many cigarettes is that equal to over the course of two weeks in regards to nicotine?

I would like to however eventually find an e-cig with 0mg that's relatively inexpensive.
    If you use the 1 - 1.5mg of nicotine per cigarette stat, and your disposable probably holds 1ml of e-liquid then you're vaping the equivalent of 10 1/2 - 16 cigarettes per disposable.
    To be the same is to emerge no one

Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

OK.

#1... I don't know of a direct forumla for vaping nic vs smoking. In fact, IDK of a direct formula for smoking either since it varies. For example: How much you inhale if you fully inhale, how long you hold it in, light, medium, full flavor, how many puffs you take per cig, the brand and tobacco mix.....
    and then to top it off, I know of some former camel unfiltered smokers that can't vape anything over 12 mg, where other light smokers vape 36 mg.

So .... don't even try to compare. Just find the nic level that is right for you. Start at 24. You can order about 1/2 as much in the same flavor but no-nic if you want to use it to cut the juice down to 18 mg. Or order the same amount 0 mg and be able to cut it to 12. Do this for say 10 or 20 ml bottles and then you can find out what works best for you and mix to whatever strength you want. If it's all the same flavor and PG/VG and only the nic is diff.
    MPage and mwplefty like this.
    Tobacco free since 6/30/10 4:30 pm! VV box mod user and amateur multimeter reader.
    ♪♫♪♫♩ They call me AttyPops, AttyPops, Oh Atty Atty Atty... AttyPops! <Ba, Da, Bum, Bum> ♪♫♪♫♩

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Well to get technical, if the 16% is by liquid volume, it's a little less than 16mg. More like 15.84mg but, close enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast