can you OD on Nicotine? how much is too much
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: can you OD on Nicotine? how much is too much

Default can you OD on Nicotine? how much is too much

since i got my v2 w/ 12mg cartriges i've just been sucking away.
    how much is too much?
    i just got some juice from rocky mountain @ 28mgs.

i use it to stay awake and it helps counter the bad effects of my anti depressant.
    StephL535 likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Yes you can OD if by OD you mean give yourself nausea or other minor problems. You are not going to kill yourself, if that is your questions. Yes, nicotine can kill you, but not at those levels no matter how much you vape.

you u can literally just vape away all day long w/ no problems?

sorry i think the question entered my mind b/c i just read girl w/ dragon tattoo and she talks about a poison concoction of nicotine.....lol
    Kari2000 likes this.

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Remember the first time you smoked a cigarette and felt giddy and then you smoked another and you turned green around the gills? Nicotine will give you various symptoms. A vaping OD is similar. Slight nausea is one symptom. Lightheadedness and increase in heart rate are also possible sypmtoms. If you feel strange and /or notice ringing in your ears, that's a clue that it's happening.If you start to sense that, stop and allow yourself to recover. It may take an hour or more to return completely to normal, but most of the recovery is pretty quick.

It's something that we all experience as we get used to vaping. Most people who smoked a pack or day or more find themselves vaping much more than they smoked. Test show that we get 10% to 30% of the nic from vaping that we got from tobacco use. Cigarette tobacco had added chemicals that delivered nic to the brain more efficiently. Ejuice doesn't have all that. That's why we vape more frequently.

If you experience any symptoms of nic overdose you can reduce the strength of your juice or vape less frequently. We learn to control the nic through individual experimentation. Low resistance atomizers increase vapor and nic delivery. If you have a variable voltage ecig, you can turn the voltage up or down to control nic levels in the vape as well as the volume of vapor and flavor.
    Last edited by DaveP; 09-02-2012 at 12:50 AM.
    StephL535 and Lobes2011 like this.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by cafe69 View Post
    you u can literally just vape away all day long w/ no problems?

sorry i think the question entered my mind b/c i just read girl w/ dragon tattoo and she talks about a poison concoction of nicotine.....lol
    I was talking about symptoms of slight nic overdose. You won't reach anything toxic vaping the 12mg juice you mentioned. You do want to wash your hands and skin immediately if you spill some on you. The nic in your juice is highly diluted. Straight nicotine would be just a little over 1000mg/ml in concentration. It's said that 100mg/ml juice can cause serious OD symptoms if you pour it on your skin and don't wash it off. That's why DIY mixers (people who make juice for themselves and use higher nic concentrations in bulk) are cautioned to wear gloves and protective eyewear when handling high concentrations of nic. Extended contact can have detrimental symptoms, especially in higher concentrations.

Still, you want the nic only in your vape, not absorbed through the skin. Sometimes, you will get a hot nic laced water droplet through the mouthpiece. Even that will cause a burning feeling on your lips. Just wash it off quickly to avoid irritation. If you hear gurgling when you vape, blow out your cartomizer and mouthpiece into a towel to to minimize it.
    Last edited by DaveP; 09-02-2012 at 01:01 AM.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

You can OD on many things. Technically, you can OD on water! You can literally drink too much water and somehow raise the level of water in your blood and system to the point where you die. If you were to consume too much nicotine you could OD, but probably not at that level, but you can give yourself nausea and headaches though.

I thought I was going to need a really high nicotine concentration in my e-liquid when I quit smoking cigs cold turkey 11 days ago after over 25 years, but it turned out I like around 10-12mg/ml right from the start. More than that and I get headaches.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

Yep, you can OD on nicotine, but nope, you won't do it from vaping the standard mg. You'll get sick waaaaaaaay before it gets lethal. I was chain vaping (@18mg) when starting ecigs, got myself woozy quite often. I'm talking chain vaping non stop for 1-2 hours straight. Stopped, took break sometimes lay down till they passed, and started up again. I have some other issues that lead me to be a bit excessive with things at times though, and was pushing past the initial warning signs.

You start to know the signs, the physical sensations from it, they're very distinct and you'll know what they're from. There's no mistaking "Oh crap I think I have had enough for now." Everyone has their own tolerance, you find your own and naturally adjust. It's not a fun sensation at all, not something that you go out and do when out on the town to have fun.

Nicotine IS highly toxic, but movies are movies and you'd have to intentionally try to kill yourself (or be doing unsafe DIY practices) to go that far.
    StephL535 likes this.

Mystagogue Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I'm fairly new to vaping and chain-vape. I think it's due to me ordering a low nic level and vaping more to get the nic fix I need. That said, my resting heart rate is still noticeably lower than it was when I smoked cigarettes.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I like to keep a cartridge of 0mg nic juice nearby. When I am vaping constantly, I'll switch out my cartridge between 18mg and 0mg every once in a while so I don't get nauseous. This way I can keep vaping all day with no worries!
    Z_Ghost and Gloria like this.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by cafe69 View Post
    ...i just read girl w/ dragon tattoo and she talks about a poison concoction of nicotine.....lol
    Pure 100% nicotine could kill you will a single drop on the skin... Remember that 28mg/mL is only 2.8% nicotine in solution. If you feel nauseous or get headaches from vaping, just slow down a bit. You will be just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast