E-cigs and birth control pills ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-cigs and birth control pills ?

Default E-cigs and birth control pills ?

So we've all heard that there is an increased risk of cardiovascular problems while smoking on birth control pills, especially with women over 35.

What about vaping? I'm 36 and just started taking the pill again. I'm wondering if it's the nicotine that is the risk element, or the other junk in analogs. Any thoughts?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Houdini's Avatar

That's definitely something you should ask a Doctor.

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I think you could take your cue from the NRT products on the market. I would look at the nasal spray, since it delivers nicotine the fastest to the body. If there is no warning on it agains using the pill or HRT, I can't see why there would be much, if any, increased danger with vaping.

BTW, I smoked and used "the pill" until I was 35, when they ripped them out of my hands yelling "Danger! Danger!"

When I was 42 or so, they had to start me on HRT to correct a multitude of problems, and I was still smoking. They tried to take away my HRT back after the WHI, and I put up with that for a grand total of two nights. I've made it to age 63 without any cardiovascular problems.

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by illyria View Post
    So we've all heard that there is an increased risk of cardiovascular problems while smoking on birth control pills, especially with women over 35.

What about vaping? I'm 36 and just started taking the pill again. I'm wondering if it's the nicotine that is the risk element, or the other junk in analogs. Any thoughts?
    Welcome! You definitely should go over this with your doctor, but the whole question would be the nicotine density you use. If you're vaping enough to be ingesting cigarette quantities of nicotine you need to of course lower your intake. But if you are vaping say 18mg/ml juice and don't constantly vape your plasma level of Cotinine would be more in line with second-hand smoke. Cotinine is the by-product of bodily absorbtion of nicotine. You may want them to do a plasma (blood) test to check you cotinine level. Mine right now with the above nicotine absorbtion is at level 3 (100 ng /ml to 200 ng/ml cotinine) on a TobacAlert test strip (saliva cotinine). I would not in the least consider this high enough to be a worry. Everyone is different, depends on your metabolism, how many ml juice you use per day, etc.
    Good luck, let us know what your Doc says!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by illyria View Post

Were you smoking while taking the pill?
    "Deja Moo : The feeling you’ve heard this bull before !"

Super Member ECF Veteran Superstargoddess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sherid View Post
    Were you smoking while taking the pill?
    I took the pill for a short time a couple of times while still smoking. Though I am still under 35 and I was taking it years ago. Not sure how much the danger jumps up when you hit 35, but I didn't have any problems at all under 35.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran dragonpuff's Avatar
    Over the river and through the woods, Western NY

It's really hard to tell, because all the studies were done on women who took birth control and smoked. Your doc might not even know the answer because there are no studies on people who took NRT's long term, let alone any who took the pill at the same time (please correct me if i'm wrong).

I asked my doc about being at an increased risk of stroke if i smoke and use birth control in my 20's. She said they don't know, because no studies were ever done on women in their 20's.

If you're already at an increased risk for cardiovascular problems, you might wanna talk to your doc about daily aspirin, just in case.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." – Doctor Who

Hey illyria, is that your tarantula? B. Emilia? Its been years since i was in the tarantula game, i used to know alot of the latin names. Nice spider!

Quote Originally Posted by The captain View Post
    Hey illyria, is that your tarantula? B. Emilia? Its been years since i was in the tarantula game, i used to know alot of the latin names. Nice spider!
    yes, that's my juvie emilia. How does one get out of the tarantula game? I'm hooked for life!

Thanks for the replies. My doctor is a ...... His answer would be, "don't vape".

I only recently started the pill in an effort to control my menstrual cycle. I used to take it, and smoke, but I was in my early 20's, so I never worried about it. (You think you're invincible in your 20's.) Now that I'm older, I give these things more consideration. There's a lot of heart failure in my family, as well.

I hate getting partial information from the powers that be. They tell us that smoking on the pill increases your risk of heart problems, but they don't tell us WHY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast