Leaving Battery on Charger Overnight
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Leaving Battery on Charger Overnight

Full Member ECF Veteran

Default Leaving Battery on Charger Overnight

I have a 3 weeks old Volt battery that has had significant drop in its capacity. I have charged and drained it pretty much every day. Now it barely give me 20-30 puffs before it dies on me.
    I had recently forgot to take it off my charger and it was left charging for nearly 24 hours. Could that have anything to do with it?

I thought the charger were smart and they cut off, atleast the light changes from red to blue. I also have joytech ego twists with joytech charger that also changes color from red to green. Is it safe to leave them in overnight or they should be removed immediately.

Thank You.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'm leaving it overnight every night too, so waiting for the answer too.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Kopfstimmen's Avatar

I left mine in overnight for a long time, and they still work (about 7 months now). I read recently that Li-Ion batteries do better when this is not the case though (should in fact not be fully charged), so I quit doing it. Here's the link:
    Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
    Happy charging!

ECF Veteran

They say these chargers are protected from overcharge, but like anything made these days I don't take chances.1-2 hrs after green light is on....I take them off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    tnt56 likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Overcharge and overdrain shortens the life for Li-ion batteries. If you tend to leave them charge over an extended time then I would recommend you to get a timer (something like this). It's better to be safe than sorry. Just my
    BuGlen likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Blog Entries

Sounds like depth of discharge is your issue. Everyone still thinks of Ni Cad batteries, which work better if fully drained and fulled charged.

Li Ion works differently, in fact you are best off just keeping the battery at 100% all the time if possible. My laptop, my ecigs, etc, are always plugged in whenever its feasible. The lower the battery is the harder it has to work to provide power, and shortening the lifespan and max capacity of the battery

So in short, yes plug it in all night, and beyond that, plug it in any chance you get.

For a more detailed explanation see this webpage, and note that if you were to only bring your battery down 25% before charging every time, you get 2000-2500 charges out of it, but if you bring it down 100%, you only get 300-500 Also note important quote "avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while."

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Blog Entries

Also as a side note, you do want to know if your charger has overcharge protection. If your charger changes color or battery changes color at full, then it definitely does. If you plug it in and it turns say red to charge, and you come down in the morning and its still red, but it is in fact fully charged, you are not using a good charger =)

OP: your systems do have OC protection, it sounds like you just got a bad battery honestly. They should refund or replace, volt is a good company from my experience

ECF Veteran

Volt (cig-a-like) batteries are not known for long lives. But to answer your question, the chargers they use does have over charge protection.

Quote Originally Posted by zzipy View Post
    I have a 3 weeks old Volt battery that has had significant drop in its capacity. I have charged and drained it pretty much every day. Now it barely give me 20-30 puffs before it dies on me.
    I had recently forgot to take it off my charger and it was left charging for nearly 24 hours. Could that have anything to do with it?

I thought the charger were smart and they cut off, atleast the light changes from red to blue. I also have joytech ego twists with joytech charger that also changes color from red to green. Is it safe to leave them in overnight or they should be removed immediately.

Thank You.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

ECF Veteran

They should last a lot longer than that though. My very first kit in 2010 was a regular Joye 510 kit. I used it exclusively for like 8 months before stepping up to the big times because I felt no need for anything else, it worked just fine for me. Back then I hardly ever even came here, I didn't even register for a while after I started vaping, even though I came here and read, read, read everything for over a month before finally making my choice on the 510 kit and being able to afford the startup costs. (I was still in school and couldn't afford much, had to save because I didn't get to work a lot)

ECF Veteran

In the rare case your overcharge protection fails, you could have some problems. Exploding battery and/or fire being the worst case. Having that happen while you're sleeping es no bueno. If you must charge overnight, get a lipo bag. Research threads on battery safety here on ECF. I know there is a sticky which everyone should read when they sign up here.
    tidegirl and RoseB like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast