Just what is a "Coil" and how often does one need to change it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Just what is a "Coil" and how often does one need to change it?

  1. #1
    Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Boyz-Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    92

    Default Just what is a "Coil" and how often does one need to change it?

    They just came out with a tank that goes with my Go-Go and it says that it is a bottom coil with replaceable coils. I am interested in it because I find that some of my flavors get a burnt taste after only a drag or two. I have one that is my favorite that I have the problem with the most. I am brand new and don't have anyone to show me what to do. Is it easy? How will I know if the coils need replacing? Thanks so much

  2. #2
    Full Member Verified Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canton,ga
    Posts
    125

    Default

    The coil is the actual coil of wire that heats up to vaporize your e liquid. Most changeable coils are super super easy to replace. As far as knowing when to replace the coil you will know. When you don't want to vape anymore it's time to change the coil.

  3. #3
    Full Member Verified Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canton,ga
    Posts
    125

    Default

    It will taste horrible

  4. #4
    Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Boyz-Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Thank you so much! So if I order this tank, how many coils do you think I will need to buy?

  5. #5
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Faylool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home, Oregon USA
    Posts
    2,810

    Default

    Sometimes the coil measures different than it says, quality control or whatever, so maybe your coil is too low in the resistance, ohms, for the strength of how many volts your battery is putting out, and more so for the certain juice. Some flavors need a cooler vape, and low ohm col with higher volts makes things heat up too much for it....like some fruits or sweets. I don't know go go if it's regulated at a certain number of lots then dies or if it vapes at 3.7 volts and goes down until it quits at 3.2 or somewhere. You can play with how long a hit you take meaning how long you hold the button down. I have a ohm meter I can screw a suspected atty or carto on or just use the ohm reading function on a Vamo or other same Provari and all the same types in between like that.
    Changing coils is not always easy for some people so don't be discouraged. Read the rba threads and hang in there for awhile and just jump in and look at your coils by opening everything up. A magnifying glass really helps a lot!
    Last edited by Faylool; 07-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Done riding for awhile. ( Equine )

  6. #6
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    crxess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Williamsport Md
    Posts
    9,094
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyz-Mom View Post
    They just came out with a tank that goes with my Go-Go and it says that it is a bottom coil with replaceable coils. I am interested in it because I find that some of my flavors get a burnt taste after only a drag or two. I have one that is my favorite that I have the problem with the most. I am brand new and don't have anyone to show me what to do. Is it easy? How will I know if the coils need replacing? Thanks so much
    You are still in the learning stages and should concentrate on getting best performance from equipment first. Coil replacement/rebuilding can come later.
    No e-liquid should go from Good to Bad in a few draws. That indicates a problem with the delivery system or the way you are trying to use it.

    Step 1 - Always include a full (detailed)description of all involved equipment/liquid when posting for help
    Battery type (Ego, 18650 K100, etc) Delivery system(Protank, ce4, etc) E-liquid Make/flavoring/nic level Blend(70/30, 50/50 pg/vg)

    Step 2 - when asking about a new piece of equipment - Include the exact Brand/Part name/number and if possible a link to the page where you saw it .

    Right now, you have what sounds like Wicking issues.
    i.e. to much heat for to little e-liquid passing to coil.

    Need to know What is what in order to advise on a fix.
    IBCR Media likes this.
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol


  7. #7
    Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, ON, CANADA
    Posts
    290

    Default

    If your tank is still fairly new (less than a week or so old) and you're getting a burnt nasty flavour, it's more likely that you're not getting enough liquid to it, than the coil being gunked up. It's possible the tank you're using is too low resistance for your battery, so it simply can't wick enough juice to keep the coil wet.

    Can you post a link to the tank you're using? Just to rule out user error?

    You'll know when to change the coil when you take it apart, and there's a black "ball" around the coil. This is stuff in the e-liquid that has burnt its self to the coil. Sweet juices and high VG juices tend to kill a coil faster, likely due to the sweetener/sugars. When you vape an older/used coil, the flavour will be off, and the vapor production will be low. You'll definitely know when it starts to happen and you need to replace it.

    Juice plays a large role in how long a coil (Atty/Carto) will last. I have some juices that will allow a month worth of vaping before I need to change, where others I can barely get a week.
    EzFreee likes this.

  8. #8
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    crxess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Williamsport Md
    Posts
    9,094
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    I maintain my wick/coils every few tank fills. They can last an extremely long time. A few are still performing like new and are originals from last Aug.
    Learning how to clean and properly Dry burn to remove all the gunk can save $hundreds in no time.

    I like the argument that a coils is ONLY $2.50
    Well, 3 Coils is a 10Ml bottle of E-liquid. 30= 100Ml.......Think about it
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol


  9. #9
    Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, ON, CANADA
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crxess View Post
    I maintain my wick/coils every few tank fills. They can last an extremely long time. A few are still performing like new and are originals from last Aug.
    Learning how to clean and properly Dry burn to remove all the gunk can save $hundreds in no time.

    I like the argument that a coils is ONLY $2.50
    Well, 3 Coils is a 10Ml bottle of E-liquid. 30= 100Ml.......Think about it
    All depends on your hardware. Some Carto's/Clearo's are truly disposable. No amount of dry burning / cleaning is going to keep them going for 8 months. The Vision Nano is a good example of a product that is extremely hard, if not impossible to PROPERLY clean. Even most cartos can only be cleaned a finite number of times before it's not worth trying to save $2.50. Sure you can rinse it out every once in a while, but I wouldn't recommend dry burning these things as you can destroy the wicking material/filler. Whereas something like the Phoenix, or really any rebuildable where you have access to the actual coil can be pretty effectively cleaned and maintained for a very long time.

  10. #10
    PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    crxess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Williamsport Md
    Posts
    9,094
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileithia View Post
    All depends on your hardware. Some Carto's/Clearo's are truly disposable. No amount of dry burning / cleaning is going to keep them going for 8 months. The Vision Nano is a good example of a product that is extremely hard, if not impossible to PROPERLY clean. Even most cartos can only be cleaned a finite number of times before it's not worth trying to save $2.50. Sure you can rinse it out every once in a while, but I wouldn't recommend dry burning these things as you can destroy the wicking material/filler. Whereas something like the Phoenix, or really any rebuildable where you have access to the actual coil can be pretty effectively cleaned and maintained for a very long time.
    Agreed, that is why people really need to look at cost vs efficiency.
    I have 10 Nano's - Worst investment yet. 7 were junk right out of the package. Rarely use the good ones.
    For a little more a Dozen better options exist.
    Not saying Never replace a wick/coil - I have, as needed and also Rebuild the simpler ones. Just saying with care many, most accessable anyway, can be reused a few times and greatly reduce excessive spending.

    Now being a Tight wad either. I probably have more gear(lower cost) than most here and certainly enough to out last me, LOL. However, I learned just what throwing good after bad is about. Now I can enjoy and Save at the same time while Spending on what is actually needed.

    Now I can purchase 5 heads in place of 25(or more).
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks