Why is my e-liquid turning dark? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why is my e-liquid turning dark?

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Bkag's Avatar

Temperature and light also play into the oxidation process, if a clearo is left in a warm sunny place it will tend to go darker faster than in a cool dark climate
    IBCR Media likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran WarHawk-AVG's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSparky View Post
    Pretty sweet. My favorite is Zeus Juice signature flavor.
    sugars + heat = carmelization

If the taste isn't changing...just use what juice you have in the clearo up...then rinse the heck out of it, if it is..dump the browned juice, rinse the heck out of it..possible soak in alcohol overnight with another rinse and hopefully it will have knocked the burnt juice under the coil in the wick loose
    Last edited by WarHawk-AVG; 08-27-2013 at 07:41 AM.

"An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it"
    "A vaper without a multi-meter, is like a Mechanic without a wrench"

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

My wife has this same problem with her juices.

Her and I use use the exact same carto tank setup.My juices never turn dark and the carto never gets a hard draw. I use sweet juices as well.

Her carto has the same hard draw at 2 days that mine only gets after a 2-3 weeks of high vg juice.

I think the problem stems from how hard she is pulling on it. Even though she is vaping strawberry and cream flavors it frequently smells like lightly burning wood

You may have experienced this when you smoked and people bummed cigarettes from you. Some people take such a hard drag the filter disintegrates a bit and turns dark brown almost immediately. This is why I never let someone take a drag of my cigarettes. That and getting the filter wet....ughhh!!! :-)

Conversely some of us could smoke an entire cigarette and have the filter only turn a light-yellow-golden brown color.

Try taking a longer, much softer softer drag and see if it helps with this problem.

Harder draw means more air and more air=more heat= caramelization
    Last edited by zapped; 08-27-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Sweet juices and a hot coil (low ohms /1.5-1.8) causes caramelization of the sugars on my sweet juices. Plus I tend to take long draws as well so by the time I'm 2/3 done with my tank the juice tends to be really dark. Doesn't happen as much since I went back to higher 2.5 ohm coils. Hope this helps.
    zapped likes this.
    Provari P3 | Aero Tank Mega | Nautilus
    Smoke free since: 09/06/2012

Ultra Member Verified Member IBCR Media's Avatar

Caramelization is part of the issue. Another part is heat and light, which partially oxidizes the nicotine and possibly other ingredients as well. I see the OP is in the desert southwest. It gets rather warm out there, doesn't it?

The lower voltage from a battery that's 50% or less than it's rated voltage can also affect the performance of the system, contributing to a gunked up coil and even lower performance. Throw in a high VG liquid, and things can go downhill in a hurry.

Keep your device fully charged, keep it in your pocket and away from heat and direct sunlight, and make sure you clean on a frequent, regular basis.

You should also consider a better performing battery system. Any Ego variable voltage battery will be an improvement over what you're using, and advanced systems that monitor performance and adjust power as necessary would be an order of magnitude better in squeezing every bit of vapor out of your liquid.

The Vamo, the SVD, the MVP are all good entry level mod systems, and it seems like there are more options emerging daily.

Vapers Blessing: May your batteries be fully charged, your atomizer full of great liquid, your coils wrapped to the sweet spot and your vapor clouds be big, bright and beautiful.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I use a protank and my juice was turning very dark. I turned down my volts on my mod from 4 to 3.5 and now I don't have that problem. I think I was very lightly burning my juice so that I couldn't taste it-only see it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12