ego charging can ruin the battery?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: ego charging can ruin the battery?

Default ego charging can ruin the battery?

So I was told if you plug in your ego battery into a TV USB port it can damage the battery is this false or what's the deal what can I plug it into?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran pufZeppelin's Avatar

I only plug mine into the wall

and into the car lighter socket

I don't think a $20 battery is worth risking my laptop or anything other that mentioned above.... IMO

Ω ... you have to "Learn" how to Vape, it's not smoking...

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I don't know about TV usb ports, I do know that using the charger in cars power port is not recommended, my understanding is the power ports aren't very well regulated in many cars.

I have also read the using a computers usb port can be hard on the computer, it may tax the power supply. The TV may not like the draw the Ego places on it, wall warts are the recommended way to go. That being said, I have used my computer with a passthrough many times, but I have a rather large rated power supply.

Sir Steve the Sage, Counselor to the Tribes of Sigeleiland, Provarinati Proficient.
    Avatar courtesy of The Ocelot, signature courtesy of The Ocelot and EddardinWinter, Thanks.

PV Master ECF Veteran WarHawk-AVG's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Powered USB port 5vdc 500ma....anything that produces that or greater will power the charger..the chargers output is 4.2vdc at 420ma REGULATED

Most computer USB ports now a days are rated at 1000ma or higher
    Ryedan and Mike Sheda like this.

"An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it"
    "A vaper without a multi-meter, is like a Mechanic without a wrench"

On the side: Have charged with a laptop, no problem. It even charges when off, but plugged in.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The USB port only provides power to the charger, at 5 volts. So it should not hurt the battery.

Like many others, I use a wall wart / adapter for my charging. My computer's health is more important than the convenience of plugging in there. While it's usually fine, one faulty charger could make for a very expensive charge!

Even if a usb port is poorly regulated it would probly never cause any issues. The charger is itself a regulator. Regulating from 5V to 4.2V. Most regulators have a relativley large input voltage range from say 3.0V to 18V with input needing to be +.5V of output voltage. I would argue that a cheap battery charger is more likely to damage the USB source or the battery then the source damage the battery or charger.
    Ryedan likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member IBCR Media's Avatar

A couple of years ago, I bought a Duracell two-port USB wall wart. I think I got it at either Office Depot or Office Max. I can charge two Ego batteries at once. The wall wart is absolutely the safest option. The Duracell two-port wart is just another layer of safety.

Vapers Blessing: May your batteries be fully charged, your atomizer full of great liquid, your coils wrapped to the sweet spot and your vapor clouds be big, bright and beautiful.

Super Member ECF Veteran hazarada's Avatar

if you over-drain an usb port, it will simply shut down the unit until you restart the device, in any case usb chargers are mostly 500mAh anyway which is what standard usb2 ports are officially rated for. Those ego chargers are rather crappily regulated and will sway in voltage depending on the input, my building has 236v for example (euro standard is 220-240) which makes your average wall plug ego charger overcharge the battery. USB ports are much more stable, the standard specifies 5% max deviation whether its a computer or a car.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have used my usb for over a year,even with a pass through and have no problems.I put my puter in sleep mode.

hazarada,we have an actual buttville around here.
    WarHawk-AVG likes this.
    I Only Listen to the 14 Little Voices in my Head,The Other Voices Aren't Real

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast