Sub Ohm Vaping? Pros/Cons/Why?
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree666Likes

Thread: Sub Ohm Vaping? Pros/Cons/Why?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default Sub Ohm Vaping? Pros/Cons/Why?

So a mech mod will allow you to vape with super low res coils.

Can someone tell me the pros and cons and why it seems so popular now?

Based on my limited understanding, it can be dangerous (overstressing the battery) and if you make your own coils you have to watch you don't short out anything.

It seems like "chasing the dragon", this quest for the most intense vape.

By vaping at such low ohms, doesn't it drain your battery faster? Resulting in the need to charge more often, and therefore in the long run, a decreased battery lifetime?

Also what are INR batteries? Are they similar to IMR batts?

Thanks.
    RedhatPat likes this.

Obsessive Vapers ECF Group:
    http://goo.gl/0PJSEJ
    Greensboro Vaping and Smoking Cessation Support (GVSCS): http://goo.gl/orJ2Kl

Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Draining batteries faster, yes. Why it is done? IMO, there are a lot of people that do it for the hit, and do it safely. Myself, and only myself think that a lot of people that don't even know what ohm's law is, do it so they can post a vid on YouTube to say " hey, look at me, I'm cool"

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie H View Post

Can someone tell me the pros and cons and why it seems so popular now?
    I personally vape sub-ohm because I like the big clouds, I prefer the taste, and I don't like taking primer puffs.
    By vaping at such low ohms, doesn't it drain your battery faster?
    It uses more of my batteries ampage which in turn yes drains the battery faster.
    Resulting in the need to charge more often, and therefore in the long run, a decreased battery lifetime?
    True. However if you think about the average battery charging life cycle(500 or so for AW IMR), and the fact that you can find batteries as cheap as $8 online, even charging twice a day, you'd have to purchase new batteries every about 8 months. I'm okay with that.
    Also what are INR batteries? Are they similar to IMR batts?
    No clue.
    Thanks.
    If you ever do get into a sub-ohm build, you'll be hooked like the rest of us. Chasing that cloud and glorious flavor!

Ultra Member* ECF Veteran Vaslovik's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just my $.02 but I went through a spectrum of vaping hardware before arriving at a mech and an RBA. Nothing vapes like a sub-ohm RBA in my experience. Nothing. If you have the right setup and observe the precautions with regard to the possible hazards you will be fine. Obviously it's not for everyone, but for some, like myself, it's just the logical progression on the road to vaping satisfaction.
    buzzzlove, WattWick, Vwls and 2 others like this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran fanatic205's Avatar

It is no more dangerous than any other rebuildable at higher ohms. Most hi drain IMR safe chemistry batteries can handle the burst firing of a sub ohm coil. Imho I feel vaping on a ego battery and cheap clearo is more dangerous than on a rebuildable with a quality battery.

INR is a safe chemistry battery Nickel instead of IMR that are manganese chemistry.
    Last edited by fanatic205; 09-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've built some sub-ohm coils and yeah you get this giant cloud and all that.

I just don't understand why you want it. When you smoked you could have put 10 cigs in your mouth to make more smoke but you didn't. Why didn't you? Because the cloud size didn't matter.

People on ecf are getting nuttier and nuttier with this. I saw a guy post two days ago he made a .27ohm coil. When are these people going to be satisfied? When they can vape 30ml in 4 drags?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran WattWick's Avatar

I'm not at all a hardcore sub-ohmer, but my quest for a satisfactory vape (for me) lead me to mech mods and RBAs. Once I got to 0.8 ohms on a SS wick, I got the flavor and vapor production I wanted. For me it's not at all about blowing big clouds. It's about having a setup that responds quickly and lets me take shorter draws to get the amount of vapor I like. In away, it is to emulate the way I used to smoke cigarettes. Not sucking on them for 5 seconds ++.

I've been using this kind of setup for maybe 5 months now, and I have no need or want to chase a bigger dragon. Doubt I'll be doing multi-coil setups at all, or going lower on the ohms. I'm where I want to be.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by WattWick View Post
    I'm not at all a hardcore sub-ohmer, but my quest for a satisfactory vape (for me) lead me to mech mods and RBAs. Once I got to 0.8 ohms on a SS wick, I got the flavor and vapor production I wanted. For me it's not at all about blowing big clouds. It's about having a setup that responds quickly and lets me take shorter draws to get the amount of vapor I like. In away, it is to emulate the way I used to smoke cigarettes. Not sucking on them for 5 seconds ++.

I've been using this kind of setup for maybe 5 months now, and I have no need or want to chase a bigger dragon. Doubt I'll be doing multi-coil setups at all, or going lower on the ohms. I'm where I want to be.
    This to me is a sensible approach to sub ohm. There's a reason for it other than visual appeal.

I keep mine around .7 or .8 when i do them. I don't drip at work so it's strictly for home use.
    VV_James and Arnie H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaslovik View Post
    Just my $.02 but I went through a spectrum of vaping hardware before arriving at a mech and an RBA. Nothing vapes like a sub-ohm RBA in my experience. Nothing. If you have the right setup and observe the precautions with regard to the possible hazards you will be fine. Obviously it's not for everyone, but for some, like myself, it's just the logical progression on the road to vaping satisfaction.
    THANK GOD!

"Sub ohm vaping" is a nice catchy phrase, but by itself means nothing. A -1 ohm coil in a Gennie Hybrid is pretty much the norm. That same coil in a RDA is a completely different vape. There is a lot more going on than just the resistance of the coil. Just rotate the cap on that nice RBA a 1/4 turn if you don't believe it.

To answer the OP, yes sub ohm vaping can be more expensive. You will use twice as much juice, and your batteries will only last half as long. That's just the price you pay if you wish to sub ohm vape.

I use mechanical mods & RDA's probably 2/3 of the time (and 1/3 VV with a dripping atty). The irony is that my mechanicals with RDA's tastes just like my VV with a normal atomizer. In the end, knowing HOW you want your vape to taste is all that matters, how you get there is completely secondary.
    Last edited by tj99959; 09-05-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

Senior Member ECF Veteran fanatic205's Avatar

I get better battery life with sub ohm, 5 sec drag vs a 13 sec drag on a higher ohm setup. I also vape less juice a day in a genny vs a clearo, larger cloud less i need to vape to get my nic fix.

If you haven't done sub ohm don't post about something you have no clue about. Just sayin

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast