battery charger making high pitched whine....?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: battery charger making high pitched whine....?

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default battery charger making high pitched whine....?

Its a cheap 2 bay trustfire -- I've already ordered a nitecore and am planning on using the trustfire as a backup. But I loaded my 18650 in it and it's making a very audible whine. Is this reason to be concerned (or downright terrified?) or just normal?

Senior Member ECF Veteran glycerol's Avatar

Well, my original Joyetech eGo charger does the same since day one. That's why I charge overnight in a ceramic pot just in case.
    Vision Slip / Kamry X10

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

That's been reported for a long time with (blank)Fire chargers. It doesn't appear to indicate any real problem, but it makes those 12 hour charge times even more annoying.

ECF Veteran

Being so in love with vaping, the high pitch whine is a siren's song to me.
    SirSteve and Baditude like this.

I learned everything I needed to know in life walking the streets of Compton.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have the same charger and it has done that ever since I got it almost 2 years ago. I was actually going to mention it on here, so great question. I've never had a problem. Mine seems worse when you first put a battery in it and then the noise slowly tapers off as it charges longer.

ECF Veteran

thanks, 'preciate the replies. Yeah, it is less now than before, still audible though. I feel better but not comfortable enough to leave it charging overnight.

ECF Veteran

on the subject of charging, I don't have any metering equipment ... am I in the danger zone as far as not knowing whether I've overdrained the battery prior to charging? I'm using Ego T 18650 and anyvape 18350 battery tubes with Ego T and Evic Easy heads.

PV Master ECF Veteran WarHawk-AVG's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's either capacitor whine or coil noise

Coil noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coil whine is not due to poor quality capacitors. You only need ask the people who own some of the Seasonic X-Series power supplies that use all Japanese 105C electrolytic capacitors and are afflicted with this problem.

Coil whine may also happen on the coils/chokes in VRM circuits of motherboards and graphics cards.

The coil/choke is a coil of wire wrapped around a ferrite core. If the core is loose it will vibrate at some harmonic of the PSU's switching frequency.

If the warranty on the device has already expired, I have heard of some people solving this problem by applying nail polish or hot-melt glue to the offending coil(s) to prevent the core from vibrating.

Coil whine is considered a manufacturing defect. Sometimes it's caused during shipping of the PSU to the end user. You really don't know if the package has been thrown around during its transport.
    Computer people and anyone working with electronics and coils wrapped on ferrite beads for transformers know this sound all to well...

It shouldn't be a problem...other than being annoying as heck!

It is fixable...but ONLY by someone who knows about electronics and knows what they are doing!!! (aka putting a dab of clear nail polish in the coil which soaks in, dries and binds the coil so it doesn't vibrate)

Big yellow thing...coil
    Last edited by WarHawk-AVG; 09-18-2013 at 07:10 AM.
    glycerol and gmoney$ like this.

"An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it"
    "A vaper without a multi-meter, is like a Mechanic without a wrench"

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by gmoney$ View Post
    on the subject of charging, I don't have any metering equipment ... am I in the danger zone as far as not knowing whether I've overdrained the battery prior to charging? I'm using Ego T 18650 and anyvape 18350 battery tubes with Ego T and Evic Easy heads.
    The Ego-T 2 heads have the same low battery protection circuitry as any Joyetech 510 or eGo battery: it shuts the device off when the battery voltage has dropped to 3.2 volts.

Not sure about the Evic head.

Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

The whine isnt going to cause anything to explode, it's just a sign of less then top notch build quality. It doesnt mean poor build quality, just less then the best.
    WarHawk-AVG likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast