Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: VG vs. USP glycerin HELP!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran markarich159's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderfulMe View Post
    ctruth- yeah, cvs stuff is definitely pig-glycerine (for lack of a better name) That's where I went when I first bought some and the pharmacist there explained it to me. I think he was scratching his head as to why I was so interested in glycerine though lol. If it doesn't say vegetable on the bottle, it probably isn't.
    Can you please tell me where the CVS was where you heard this. Address , City and State. Please be careful what information you disseminate in the forums before checking proper pharmacopeial or manufacturing sources. Refer to my post above.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I was told by a CVS pharmacist that there are two sources for glycerine, from vegetables and rendering pig fat. He said theirs was from rendering pig fat. If he was wrong, I apologize for "spewing paranoia", like I said, just telling you what the pharmacist told me. Just like every one else here, I am also looking for rational answers and discussions.

As to the 99.5% pure that was my misunderstanding, sorry. Thank you for clearing that up.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran markarich159's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderfulMe View Post
    I was told by a CVS pharmacist that there are two sources for glycerine, from vegetables and rendering pig fat. He said theirs was from rendering pig fat. If he was wrong, I apologize for "spewing paranoia", like I said, just telling you what the pharmacist told me. Just like every one else here, I am also looking for rational answers and discussions.

As to the 99.5% pure that was my misunderstanding, sorry. Thank you for clearing that up.
    The "spewing paranoia" quote was from someone else , not me. The concern I had with repect to porcine(pig) source VG(or anything for that matter) is possible religious , or even worse, allergenicity issues. Usually porcine sourced anything must be clearly labeled as a certain percentage of the population is allergic to porcine source products(i.e diabetics with porcine allergy cannot use porcine source insulin, etc...). Also, in terms of religion, orthodox Jewish and Islamic consumers would be mortified if they found out they were ingesting porcine source products of any kind.
    I just didn't want a general panic started from sensitive people who may have thought they were ingesting Porcine source VG through vaping.

Inactive Supplier

Default cool...

Quote Originally Posted by markarich159 View Post
    They should make this a sticky because the newbies always ask this question. I'm a pharmacist in PA. I'm going to copy and paste a post I wrote in another subforum:
    Yes, they should make it a sticky - I ran into it in another forum but the pig thing sent me reeling.

Quote Originally Posted by markarich159 View Post
    Go to the skin care aisle of most any pharmacy and you'll find a small(usually 6oz) bottle labled Glycerine, USP(Some pharmacies don't carry outright , but will special order for you). The label may have it listed as CVS Glycerine, USP or Rite Aid Glycerine, USP or Humco Glycerine, USP or Family Pharmacy Glycerine, USP etc.. you get my point. Whatever it's labeled, it's Glycerine, USP 99.5% anhydrous(meaning 0.5% water). It will cost anywhere from $3 to $6 for 6oz.(CHEAP) This is vegetable glycerine, absolutely, positively, no doubt. How do I know this? I'm a pharmacist. All OTCglycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine. The reason it's labeled Glycerine and not Vegetable Glycerine is because #1 it is listed in the USP as Glycerine, USP and therefore(in order to keep the USP certification) must be labeled as it's listed in the USP. #2 it would cause confusion as Glycerine is Glycerine(regardless of the source - chemically 1,2,3-propane triol also sometimes referred to as Glycerol), to add the moniker VEGETABLE, makes it sound like it's two different and distinct products, it isn't. Also, USP grade Glycerine is the purest you can get. Food Grade "vegetable Glycerine" you get in health food store saying 99.9% is BS. Since they do not have to meet any standard(such as USP standards) they could say anything, they could say 10000% pure. If you get USP grade, you know you are getting exactly what is labeled(within allowable USP limits) and it is made to most stringent requirements available in the US. (i.e. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia- drugs have meet higher standards then foods do). Kashrut(kosher) laws are Jewish religious dietary laws having to do with the preparation of food products and really have nothing to do with the labeled purity of the product. Also, Kashrut(kosher) laws are jurisdictional(handled differently in different places). In some cases a rabbi must come to the manufacturer and verify processes and equipment conform to kosher law and in some places it's enough that the manufacturer says or thinks he is conforming to the kosher laws. In any case USP and Kosher are 2 different things. There is no such listing in the USP for "Kosher Glycerine". To the people who are feeling naseous using pharmacy bought Glycerine, USP, it may be a placebo effect(thinking your not using the real VG) or you may have a sensitivity to Glycerine(unlikely). But it is not because the Pharmacy bought Glycerine,USP is inferior or NOT Vegetable Glycerine.
    Again, the pig thing is important to me. I am Jewish and have observed the laws of kashrus my entire life - never had a pig product and never ate at McDonalds (among other places and beliefs). With your assurance, I'm gonna run down the street and grab some usp to blend and try. Otherwise, the whole rendered pig fat thing would make me handle the stuff like it might contain cyanide...

The rabbi (or certifiaction group of rabbis - called a vaad) who certifies a product (usually edible food product) as kosher exercises common sense in determining if there is any possibility a product could be contaminated by non kosher substances. The lower the chance, the less supervision. When meat or grape products are involved the supervision level skyrockets, for USP glycerin - no pig, no prob...

Inactive Supplier

Default just got some usp

so I went and got a bottle of usp at cvs. tried a few blends with dekang liquid and I like it a lot. I am surprised how much it depletes the flavor though so I am trying using smaller amounts. I feel the vapor is definately more pleasant and smoke-like.

Great thread! I am just getting into mixing my own, so I find this info very helpful!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

This would be a question to the pharmacist, I have Humco PG, which I love!

The question/ problem i have is trying to figure out whether the PG is being absorbed through the lungs, or settling there..

If it's the latter, it could prove pretty harmful.

Note: I am not trying to raise caution, or scare anyone! I Love my PG, just a general question concerning the absorption of it into the body!

Again, there have been no proven side effects of digested or inhaled PG, just curious is all...
    Reo Grand - EA - Nemesis - MVP 2.0 - VV v3 - *** - KFL+ - Reomizer 2.0 - IgoL - IgoW

Full Member ECF Veteran

The question/ problem i have is trying to figure out whether the PG is being absorbed through the lungs, or settling there..

I saw a Youtube video of a Dr. defending the ingredients of E-cigs and he said that PG is not ingested into the lungs only the nicotine. I was amazed at that comment and that is what led me to finally buying my 510. I do not know how true that statement is but the guy really promotes e-cigs so I figured it was truthfull

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

That doesn't make much sense, as most of the vapor produced is from the PG, I believe more than just nicotine is being ingested...
    Reo Grand - EA - Nemesis - MVP 2.0 - VV v3 - *** - KFL+ - Reomizer 2.0 - IgoL - IgoW

Senior Member ECF Veteran Pyrate's Avatar

Pig Glycerin! LOL!
    I wonder if it tastes like bacon.

As to the question if PG is absorbed into the lungs and is harmful, I have heard the Propylene Glycol is used/vaporized in Hospitals as a disinfectant.
    Also, I work in the Entertainment business and use Theatrical Fog (PG based) all the time and when we do there are always signs posted stating to the fact that "Theatrical Smoke is not harmful".
    If it was harmful I should be dead by now.
    2ndChoice likes this.
    Lava Tube V2, VAMO V2, Sigelei ZMax V3-FT, Chi-You, Chimesis, Bolt, 2 Chucks (Modding/Rebuilding), Ego-CE6, Vision Vivi Nova, RSST, AGA-T2, Aios-TD, Cobra

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast