VG vs. USP glycerin HELP! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: VG vs. USP glycerin HELP!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Zaija View Post
    This would be a question to the pharmacist, I have Humco PG, which I love!

The question/ problem i have is trying to figure out whether the PG is being absorbed through the lungs, or settling there..

If it's the latter, it could prove pretty harmful.

Note: I am not trying to raise caution, or scare anyone! I Love my PG, just a general question concerning the absorption of it into the body!

Again, there have been no proven side effects of digested or inhaled PG, just curious is all...
    Great Question!!! And I've actually answered this in another thread somewhere. The PG and the VG do NOT just stick there in the alveolar space of the lung and gunk up your lungs. The PG is absorbed into your alveolar capillaries(then into your systemic circulation) and eventually is degraded by your body into pyruvic acid which enters your normal glucose metabolism pathway and is eventually just excreted as either lactic acid or water and carbon dioxide. Glycerine(Glycerol) is even more benign. The Glycerine is again absorbed into your alveolar capillaries and enters your systemic circulation. Glycerine(glycerol) is actually the backbone of ALL fatty acids(you can't get more organic and benign then that) so it actually enters your bodies fat burning pathway(called Beta-Oxidation) and is ultimately converted into CO2 and H2O(or carbon dioxide and water) and again, excreted thru your lungs or kidneys.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by markarich159 View Post
    Glycerine(glycerol) is actually the backbone of ALL fatty acids(you can't get more organic and benign then that) so it actually enters your bodies fat burning pathway(called Beta-Oxidation) and is ultimately converted into CO2 and H2O(or carbon dioxide and water) and again, excreted thru your lungs or kidneys.
    Does this mean glycerine when vaped a lot can count as part of your fat intake? If you could explain how/if this would affect someone who is either overweight and/or consuming more fat than they need already that would be great. Thanks

Senior Member ECF Veteran Darmeen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderfulMe View Post
    Does this mean glycerine when vaped a lot can count as part of your fat intake? If you could explain how/if this would affect someone who is either overweight and/or consuming more fat than they need already that would be great. Thanks
    I could very well be wrong, but from what I remember, your body needs fatty acids and produces most of them by itself...now whether a heavy vapor is drastically altering the balance of fatty acids in his/her body is a question beyond my knowledge...but I know that fatty acids aren't neccessarily bad.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Darmeen View Post
    I could very well be wrong, but from what I remember, your body needs fatty acids and produces most of them by itself...now whether a heavy vapor is drastically altering the balance of fatty acids in his/her body is a question beyond my knowledge...but I know that fatty acids aren't neccessarily bad.
    Glycerol isn't the Fatty Acid portion of the fat it's the backbone that the fatty acids attach to through ester bonds.(each glycerol can accomdate up to 3 fatty acids, therefore, the term triglycerides). The Glycerol provides relatively small amounts of energy as compared to the fatty acids themselves. Also, the amount of glycerine(glycerol) that is actually vaped and uptaken is so small as to be negligible.
    Hello World likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Markarich159- thank you, that makes sense.

Excellent post, Mark. It should remove all doubts. BTW, WalMart sells the 6 oz. HUMCO USP glycerin for $2.99 + tax.

From original post:

"This is my dilimma:
    Can there possibly be that much of a difference between Vegetable Glycerin and plain USP glycerin?
    Or would the culprit in fact be some other ingredient in the VG/PG bottle"

markarich159 you answered that question in a very, very complete and professional manner.

My confusion has been obliterated, and I rest in peace.

Thank you

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ctruth View Post
    From original post:

"This is my dilimma:
    Can there possibly be that much of a difference between Vegetable Glycerin and plain USP glycerin?
    Or would the culprit in fact be some other ingredient in the VG/PG bottle"

markarich159 you answered that question in a very, very complete and professional manner.

My confusion has been obliterated, and I rest in peace.

Thank you
    No problem; I'm glad I could help. If anyone ever has any vaping questions that may be pharmacy/healthcare related, feel free to PM with it. I may not get back to you right away(as I don't check my PM's every single day) but I certainly will respond when I get a chance. If I don't know the answer immediately , I'll try to do some research(as vaping is a relatively new phenomena some questions have yet to even be asked) and If I still can't find an appropriate response, I'll, at the very least, try to point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by markarich159 View Post
    No problem; I'm glad I could help. If anyone ever has any vaping questions that may be pharmacy/healthcare related, feel free to PM with it. I may not get back to you right away(as I don't check my PM's every single day) but I certainly will respond when I get a chance. If I don't know the answer immediately , I'll try to do some research(as vaping is a relatively new phenomena some questions have yet to even be asked) and If I still can't find an appropriate response, I'll, at the very least, try to point you in the right direction.

If you come across any new or interesting research be sure and share it with us. Or if you get a good question to answer. Love your posts here.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Man View Post
    If you come across any new or interesting research be sure and share it with us. Or if you get a good question to answer. Love your posts here.
    Will do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast