Things sure have changed 'round here... - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Things sure have changed 'round here...

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

My family's doctor, mid to late 60's, had a huge overflowing ashtray on his desk, along with about three dozen brown glass jars filled with pills. I do remember him giving an exam with a cig in his hand. But...he was a great doctor. Also made house calls (anyone who doesn't remember "party lines" doesn't remember house calls). Used to come to our house, do his doctor business, and then sit with my Dad and listen to albums on the new stereo. Really miss those days!
    Burnie, grandmato5, Iffy and 9 others like this.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

ETA: Oh, and I remember buying cigs for my mother when I was like 8 and the nice man saying it was okay because they were for my mother. She didn't have her makeup on and she felt all a mess or whatever so she sent me along out on my bike across town for them with a couple quarters in my pocket to pay for them plus a quarter to buy myself a treat...this probably happened two or three times.
    +1

I remember my dad would send me up for a pack of camels, a bottle of orange juice and a bottle of vodka. the guy at the liquor store used to say, here ya go Billy, say hi to your dad for me. i think a pack was like 60 cents or so. at this time you also paid more for 100's because they had more TOB in them lol

back then we would cut grass for money. pumping gas into a gal plastic milk jug lol

I remember the doctor who gave me stitches having to put his cigarette out on his desk
    Burnie, EleanorR, NiNi and 4 others like this.

Semovar - Provari - Roller - Poldiac - Megatron - Nemesis

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I remember picking up cartons for $2.15 at the PX in Italy. When I was 14 years old...

We had a smoking area at the high schools I went to in the States.

Anyone else remember military C Rations with the little mini packs of smokes in them?
    Burnie, SupplyDaddy, NiNi and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LDS714 View Post

Anyone else remember military C Rations with the little mini packs of smokes in them?
    Wow, I remember my dad showing me something like that. He had been in the Army. I was fascinated with it. He also used to roll up all his shirts and underwear teeny-tiny in his drawers and he said it was a habit from the military.
    NiNi likes this.

Yikes, I can think of some doctors I would definitely NOT want to be smoking during an exam. Well...unless they rocked it like this guy...(who is, of course, not actually smoking...)

Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I remember picking up cartons for $2.15 at the PX in Italy. When I was 14 years old...

Good deal... when I started, they were $3.39 for a carton of Camel straights... which when I quit, were just shy of $100 a carton.

Over 45 years of Camel straights.

Quote Originally Posted by State O' Flux View Post
    Good deal... when I started, they were $3.39 for a carton of Camel straights... which when I quit, were just shy of $100 a carton.

Over 45 years of Camel straights.
    ONE HUNDRED dollars a carton???????
    cmdebrecht likes this.

Detached Observer Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    ONE HUNDRED dollars a carton???????
    Yeah... tax in Seattle - King County, WA. is stout... and of course, there are never any discounts on Camel straights... ever.

PV Master ECF Veteran FlamingoTutu's Avatar

I remember when they gave you those mini packs on the airplane meal tray. I think I was about 7 first time they gave me one. I was playing with them so the stewardess brought me a couple more.

PV Master ECF Veteran FlamingoTutu's Avatar

Double Post
    Last edited by FlamingoTutu; 10-18-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast